Myofascial Pain - what to do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Feb 26, 2012.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

OK, I believe I have trigger points vs all over pain of FM. I get an area from my diaphram to my bellybutton - the AB area that is sore to the touch, with ropey bands.

I have been applying ice and Tylenol, my tummy can't take NSAIDS. I also get costo (had it last week) but now it's the tissues that burn and hurt, not the bones.

Any ideas what to do? What doctor to see? Some people say a rheumatologist and others say a neurologist.

I don't know whether to massage this area or leave it alone. I'm taking some ginger capsules as an anti-inflammatory.

Anyone else get the burning and tender skin areas?
  2. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Hi Tania.. Yes I get that.. and sometimes my skin is just hot and very sore.. I can feel the inflammation.. It will go away but when in a flare up.. it comes back..
    I did see a Neurologist back in the 90's.. and he said it was the Fibro..
    It does hurt.. I know..
    I have a book called Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofacial Pain.. a Survival manual its the Second Edition.. by Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland.. I read that alot.. even now and I got this book back in the 90's
    it has so many places that we can get referred pain too.. and it tells where the trigger points are..
    When I get into a bad flare up.. I get it out and check it and it does help to make me feel a bit better.. knowing there is info on it..
    I hope You feel better.......
    I have seen a Rheumatologist too.. which I need to go back to again..
  3. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I have the very same thing you are talking about. I find massage helps alot although it hurts like the devil while doing it and I also get costocondritis fairly often which is so painful and scarey. Sometimes it feels like im having a heart attack,like a bolt of lightening like pain and then super sore for several days,with it I sometimes take an aspirin for a couple days,hot water bottle applied is soothing but nothing takes it away for me and the morphine I use every day does nothing for it.I also have all of Devin Starlanyl books and find them very helpful with fibro and myofascial problems that I Dr prescribed a lidocaine cream to apply before I massage the super sore areas. Hope you can find some relief. God Bless
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

Maybe a massage by someone trained in myofascial release would help. I was going to a therapist for post-mastectomy pain and some other problems before I had to leave to be with my sister who died recently. It was helping, and when I get back from her memorial service, I will continue. It wasn't a 100% improvement, but it did offer some relief. I'm hoping for a bit more. :)
  5. harboreen

harboreen Member

Have you had abdominal surgery?
    If so- your pain could have to do with scar tissue/adhesions.
    I've had a couple abdominal surgery's and have lot's of adhesions which are very painful.
    Just thougth I'd toss this out there, hopefully not to confuse you but to give another opinion as to your issue.
    good luck
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I have the book the brandwine has too. It is a GREAT book. I don't know if it is still in print but it was printed by New Harbinger Publications, Copyright 2001 Distributed in Canada by Raincoast Books.

Instead of always using ice you might try using a heating pad on medium--sometimes both works for me.[This Message was Edited on 03/01/2012]
  7. Picklington

Picklington New Member

Hi Tania,

The Bowen Technique really helped me with this. I thought I was cured at first. It got less effective after the first time, but I still found it helpful. I've moved now and can't find someone nearby who does the Bowen Technique unfortunately.
  8. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I still hurt in the diaphram area and the ab muscles below up to the belly button. Strange flare! When I get the costo in the sternum it seems to ease up quicker. The burning pain is definitely superficial and not deep.

Anyway, I went to see my rheumy and he ordered a topical called Pennsaid. Haven't tried it yet, always the fear of getting a stomach issue with a NSAID, but this is topical and he said just a couple drops daily on the sore diaphram bone will not cause side effects. Anyone else use this - I think it's similar to Voltaren gel, but he said milder???

Gastro thinks it's muscular/skeletal, but said to increase my Prilosec and take some Carafate to see if it eases with these meds I used for Gastritis. No change, so I guess it's the skin/tissues.

I believe it's myofascial pain and wondered how long it will take to ease up?

I have had 3 C-sections and a laproscopic gallbladder removal but I don't think I have adhesions or this is not the same area. The only place would be the 2-inch incision below the diaphram during gallbladder laproscopic surgery 4 years ago. But this flare is more widespread than that. I call the area my cough or BM bearing down muscles! LOL

If you get this, do you recommend heat or cold applications for the inflammatory feeling? I do have the mentioned book and I can see from the photos that myofascial pain and FM pain hits more places than just the 18 trigger points.

Any other suggestions and or supplements to take will be appreciated. My one book on Nutritional healing says Fish Oil, B-vitamins and Vitamin C for inflammation.

9. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I get costo too often, every time I get a cough it seems that my ribs hurt so badly that breathing is some thing I wish was optional, but it's not and I still have to breathe.
    Many years ago my obgyn had an ansesthesiolgist { sorry the lack of spelling} give me injections of cortisone right where my ribs meet the sterunm. DAng it was so painful and didn't help enough to make up for all the pain taht the injections caused me. The doctor injected several places and it really did not help ease the pain in my ribs. ONly made me not ever want to do that again.

My skin hurts as do my muscles but I dont' know from what fibro or MPS? I some times can feel knots in the muscles and right now I am really tender in my right hip and abdomen and right in my groan muscles, I know that I groan when any pressure is put on them.

I see a rehumy and he is ok, I am on morphine and some times it seems to help and yet others it does not. I have tried heating pads, hot baths and showers, you name it. Some time they work and others they don't. Massage is so painful that I don't have it done often but after the pain leaves I do feel better.
    I hope that you get to feeling better soon. Wish I could offer more help.