myofascial Vs. Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrojewel, Jul 30, 2003.

1. fibrojewel

fibrojewel New Member

Nkay.....I've read about the difference between the two, and from what I understand, with myo/there is pain on both sides, and "trigger points" of knotted muscles where they think you are carring "stress".
    Then with Fibro/pain is achy all over (like flu)and the tenderness can travel all over body.

I was dx with Fibro last year, but I've had two different Dr write myofascial on my dx ticket.

No one botheres to explain...whyyy!

When I go in the have my TP injections tuesday AM, think I will ask the doctor about it.

Can someone explain if you can have BOTH?

Thanks a bunch!!!
    fibrojewel
  2. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Jewel, I'd be interested in hearing the answer to that myself. I just got the book from the library called Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain A Survival Manual by Devin Starlanyl & Mary Ellen Copeland.

I've not had time to read much but what I've read so far sounds just like me! I have never by dx'd with myo but it sure sounds like me.

However, I don't know enough about it yet to explain it in a way that would make sense (lol) so I'm anxious to see what responses you get. Hope someone can answer your question.

Take care.....Kathi
  3. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

My doctor dx me with FMS on on pg & MPS on another. You pretty much have the differences right. MPS affects the "gooey" stuff that connects all of your tissues and muscles to bones. It's kinda like the clear stuff under the skin of a chicken. MPS can be gotten from stress, overworking or favororing a particular muscle which causes trigger points or from not being active enough. FMS has several ideas for the cause but, none that are proven. Also, MPS is fixable with trigger points and excercise... FMS is only manageble sometimes.

At least, that's how I understand the differences to be from my reading and talking with doctors.

Lisa
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that with MPS, the trigger points refer the pain to other areas. With FMS, the tender points are localized as to the tenderness and pain. We can hurt all over or hurt in the hips, legs, or knees, but it is not like the referred pain for MPS. My physical therapist described myofacia like a knit sweater covering the body under the skin. A trigger point is like a snag in a sweater. If you pull on the snagged thread, it will draw up the rest of the sweater toward that point.

Dr. Paul St. Amand describes FMS tender points as areas of soft tissue where the body stores phosphate debris which cannot be excreted through the kidneys.

One can have both MPS and FMS.

Love, Mikie
  5. fibrojewel

fibrojewel New Member

So.........I guess I have both. Like I said I need to talk to my doctor and find out what his opinion is. I guess that is why he is treating me with injections (for the MPS) and then pain med for the fibro, and the thyroid meds for the CFS. YIKES...........I think I will get some books today so I can educate myself. I hate going to the dr and NOT knowing what I am talking about. Seems like if you are a little bit educated, then they talk to you, if not they seem to have the attitude of ,"Let's not worry your pretty little head about silly little diseases."

Thanks all,
    Gentle Hugs
    *fibroJewel* (or should that be Myojewel) LOL!
  6. Magee

Magee Guest

The FMS CMPS book is great! I recommend it highly!

[ advertisement ]