Myrrh for Fingernails?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by astroherb, Sep 10, 2009.

1. astroherb

astroherb New Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with using myrrh to make the fingernails grow faster and stronger. I happened to see something online where guitar players were using it to strengthen their fingernails (which take a lot of abuse when they are playing).

I have really, really bad fingernails and anything I can do to help them would be great.

Any info?

Thanks,
    Ruby

2. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I mixed a few drops of myrrh essential oil with my favorite hand lotion in a small tub. I am going to apply it to the base of fngernails and see what happens. I believe it will take one to three months before I have any indication. I will let everyone know if it works.

Ruby
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Selenium is another good supplement for the nails and hair. It will work in about two weeks after you start taking it.

I drink Ensure which has a lot of it in it, and my nails are long and hard. My cousin takes it as her thyroid meds make her hair fall out and her nails just so soft they just tear off. After two weeks her nails are growing and so is her hair.

Never heard of the myrrh, but do know the Silica is also good.

You could give it a try.........hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl

4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I really don't know what meds she is taking for the thyroid, but will ask her. It is possible like you said she is on the wrong med. I will tell her what you said.

Her hair was really falling out bad, and her nails were a mess. Will call her and see what she is taking.

The Selenium did help her a great deal though.

Thanks for the information!

Shalom, Shirl
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Myrrh for fingernails is a new one to me.

I've used decolorized iodine (DCI) to strengthen nails, as well as to fight nail fungus. Heloise often recommends this. In my community, DCI was a little hard to find, I ended up special-ordering it through a compounding pharmacist.

The bad part about DCI is the odor -- ammonia is used in the decolorization process. So your nails do stink for a few minutes after application. You could of course try regular reddish-brown iodine, it would be a conversation piece!

Best wishes.