Mystery of IBS Possibly Solved

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One of the exciting benefits of my antibiotic therapy for chronic mycoplasma infection is that my IBS went away.

I just read Dr. Nicolson's article on the Home Page and he talks about the possible involvement of mycoplasmas in IBS, as well as RA.

When I have tried to cycle off the abtibiotics, my symptoms, including the IBS, return in about three days. I've been sick for 12 years following an active mycoplasma infection and have been on the antibiotics for just over a year. I am getting better. Next month, if I am doing well, I will try, once again, to cycle off the Doxycycline.

Love, Mikie
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I know you are on the same type of diet that I am, and my IBS has also disappeared. The one time I cheated and ate pasta, it came back with a vengance. I am not on antibiotics, as they have nearly killed me several times and nothing makes my digestive system more ill and messed up than antibiotics. We are all different, that's for sure!
    We are all trying so many different things...are you sure it isn't the high protein/low carb diet that has helped you? BTW, I have now lost 23 lbs., and all my cravings are gone except chocolate. I'm sure I'll go to my grave wanting chocolate!
    Whatever it is that's helped you, I'm very glad you are no longer troubled by IBS!
    Klutzo
  3. Spedding

Spedding New Member

FM is a pain sensitization condition. The gut is also sensitized. So foods that are mild irritants to most people, become a real problem. e.g., sugar, caffeine, alcohol.

Lesser known, is that gluten is a mild irritant. Gluten is a protein in wheat, barley, rye, and oats (although, oats don't naturally have it - it's from contamination from wheat processing). So, you may find improvement if you exclude gluten from your diet (not easy to do). People with Celiac disease avoidn gluten for entirely different reasons, but are a good resource for how to avoid it.

Anyway, the pasta problem is because of the gluten. Try a rice pasta, and you won't have that problem.

Spedding
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I'm giving the diet a try---and hope that does help with the IBS. I am with Klutzo....to some of us antibiotics are really detrimental.

Glad that you have found relief!

Hey Spedding---It's great to see you back again!!!

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2002]
  5. enivalorac

enivalorac New Member

I had to see another consultant today about the IBS. He said it is linked with CFIDS and has prescribed Immodium to be taken before meals... only problem is I am rarely hungry enough to want to eat... I know things like Homogonised milk, spicy foods and too many greasy foods will start it off.. I also dont tolerate antibiotics very well .. and i dont absorb from the gut very well either... This means whenever I become anaemic I either have to have iron injections, ( reacting to most of those now) or else a whole blood transfusion ..that means an overnight stay in hospital .. etc .. still, that is a small price to pay for the benefits it provides...

Carol

p.s Klutzo .. I too crave choclate .. and if I ever had to give it up it would be very very hard !! [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2002]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am not suggesting anyone actually take antibiotics for their IBS, but the article by Dr. Nicolson did click with me because my IBS did go away when I started taking them and returns when I try to cycle off the antibiotics. This was way before I started the Somers diet. Probably if bacteria are responsible, it is like ulcers. Some, but not all, cases involve bacteria.

I wish I did not have to take antibiotics and I know the risks. I almost had to go to the ER when my doc prescribed Cipro for a UTI. I am allergic to it. I know that some of our members have had horrible problems with them.

It's an individual decision whether or not to take them for chronic mycoplasma infection. I figured that if I didn't, I would most likely never get well, because while the Guai is reversing the symptoms of FMS, I also have CFS, and I believe the mycoplasmas are responsible for that.

Klutzo, congratulations! I am down 24 pounds now with 16 to go. Did I mention adding some unsweetened cocoa to your coffee with some cream and stevia or nibbling just a little semi-sweet bakers chocolate? Both are low in carbs. I no longer crave chocolate, so it's not a problem, but I do enjoy the mug 'o mocha once in a while.

BTW, it's imperative to take probiotics while using antibiotics, and I believe they are necessary for good gut health whether or not someone is taking antibiotics. Leaky Gut Syndrome is responsible for a lot of digestion problems. Wheat is so prevalent in so many of our foods that it, along with dairy, corn, peantus, etc. may set up an allergic reaction in the body when large undigested pieces of these foods pass through the intestine wall. The body can start recognizing them as foreign material and set up antibodies to them.

Love, Mikie