NADH vs. Niacin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by equanimous, Mar 11, 2011.

1. equanimous

equanimous New Member

Does anybody on here know why one might take NADH instead of niacin (which is a precursor to NADH)? NADH is quite expensive, so if I can get away with just taking niacin, that would be far preferable.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't know the chemistry involved but from personal experience (and also reading about others' experiences) I believe NADH is more effective than niacin in boosting energy. You're right, it is expensive - plain old niacin is much cheaper.

Several years ago I took 20 mg. of NADH a day (I found somehow that a high dose like that was what I needed for it to be effective). After a week or so I had a marked improvement in energy. It was fabulous and it lasted for about 10 days. At the time, a month's supply of 20 mg. a day was around $70 as I recall, but if it had kept on helping me, it would have been so worth it to keep taking it. Unfortunately, the energy boost stopped after about 10 days and I finally gave up on it.

However, I have read about people getting a consistent energy boost so I think it's worth a try.

I did just read that you should not take malic acid while taking NADH.

And I just saw that Puritan's Pride has a sale right now on Enada NADH, you can get 2 packages for 1 of 30 tablets of 10 mg. each (so a total of 60 tablets, a 30-day supply if you take 2 a day) for $23. 39, which for this supplement is a good deal.

Good luck!