NADH

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I just read in some thread about someone who found 20 mg of NADH a day to be helpful but had to discontinue it because of the cost.

Just thought I'd let you know that my CFS doctor prescribed compounded NADH, 100 mg, sublingual form. It costs about $1 per pill.

The laboratory is Belmar in Colorado.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Lisa - I think I'm the one you're talking about it. I posted that NADH at 20 mg. a day did help me (for awhile) but had to discontinue because of the cost. It was around $75 a month.

Could you please post the phone number or website or address of Belmar? There are a couple of different Belmar pharmacies on-line and I don't know which one you use.

Thanks again for posting this - I really appreciate it. I didn't know they could compound NADH.

Mary
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Belmar Pharmacy
    12860 West Cedar Street
    Suite 210
    Lakewood, CO 80228
    800-525-9473
    303-763-5533

I actually can't remember the exact cost of this one since I get a number of different prescriptions from them. You could call and ask. They're pretty nice there.

The pills are scored, and so conceivably you could try 1/2 if cost is an issue.

NADH is sold over-the-counter, and so I don't know that many insurance companies will give reimbursement. It may be worth trying, though.

Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2006]
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure my insurance will not cover it, it doesn't cover any compounded drugs, but it may be cheaper than what I was buying. I see my main CFIDS doctor in early November and will ask him about it.

Mary
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

10 mg. of NADH did nothing for me either. It wasn't until I went up to 20 mg. a day that I got results, but it was very expensive at that dose, around $75 a month.

I just called the Belmar Pharmacy and spoke to a very nice man who said they could compound NADH from 10 mg. to 100 mg. in a tablet, and it would cost $24.50 for 30 days, much cheaper than over the counter. You need a prescription for it.

Mary
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

NADH helped me with energy. I have CFIDS only, not FM, so I have exercise intolerance, lack of stamina, etc.

I had to take 20 mg. a day for the NADH to do anything for me. It did help a lot with energy, after taking it for about a week. Unfortunately, the results only lasted for 10 or 11 days. If it had kept working, it would have been worth the $75 a month it cost.

We're all different, it may help you more. At $24.50 a month I am somewhat tempted to give it another try.

I am taking some other things right now which seem to be boosting my energy levels. I have been taking RNA/DNA by Nature's Life (2,000 mg. a day) for several months per my doctor's recommendation and I think it has helped some with stamina. About 2 weeks ago a chiropractor gave me Fortil B12 by STandard Process and I've been taking 3 of those a day. It's a form of B12 but I think it's working much better than the sublingual I'd been taking, and even better than B12 injections. Also, last but not least, I started 2 tablespoons a day of virgin coconut oil, which I think is helping my thyroid. I already take Armour thyroid but I think this is helping more. THis is probably more than you wanted to know, but here it is anyways. (no such thing as too much information with these DD, is there?)

Mary
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Again, just thought I'd mention that they sell NADH here at Pro Health where they donate millions to researching our illnesses.

Nancy B
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

A number of years ago, I tried NADH for about a month at 10 mg per day. Nothing seemed to happen, and so I gave it up.

About two years ago, I read somewhere that many people need a higher dosage to get an effect....at least 20 mg and maybe more. (Upon reflection, it was what seemed to be an apparently respectable scientific paper.) So I tried again at 20 mg.

My energy went up noticeably (which is saying something since I've tried 100's of drugs and supplements and usually notice no improvements at all). I felt somewhat better all around, I think.

Most strangely, my period resumed after a hiatus of four years. This happened about a month after I started the NADH, and it has been pretty much on-the-dot regular since then.

I'm actually rather annoyed about this latter development.....not because I mind having my period per se, but because I think that if my body has all this extra energy it should be spending it helping me to do useful things, not to make a last-ditch effort to get pregnant.

However, I feel like this provided me with some objective evidence that this stuff does do something substantial. The fact that there have been scientific studies suggesting that NADH is useful for CFS (when there have been very few studies suggesting that anything else helps at all) makes me think that it's worth a try for a lot of folks.

To my knowledge, NADH is a vitamin and doesn't have any side effects. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

The regular ENADA pills---which is the only way you can get NADH unless you get it compounded---do have cellulose, an ingredient to which I am allergic, though.

The 100 mg compounded pills seem to work at least as well as the 20 mg tablets I was taking before. I don't know if they work better, but since they're cheaper to begin with I haven't been worrying about it.

The other advantage of the sublingual is that you can take it whenever you remember. With the pills, you have to take them first thing in the morning and then wait a half hour before eating, since stomach acid destroys the contents.

Good luck!
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I forgot for most of 2 years about the store here!!!

Hugs,

Nancy B
  10. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Now that is a bit odd, since I get catalogs from the store on a regular basis.....