naltrxone is it still being used?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Apr 5, 2006.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I am reading new postings and old ones also......and found where everyone was excited over the med Naltrxone or LDN which is low dose of same....which they recommend.

How did this turn out? Anyone on it or tried it?

This sounds so promising......but I am in doubt as I never saw it mentioned since I've been on board. But I do not catch every posting either.

Thanks for reading this........Susan
  2. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I found this on the web for you.

What are naltrexone tablets? (Back to top)
    NALTREXONE (Depade®, ReVia®) helps you to remain free of your dependence on opiate drugs (narcotics) or alcohol. Naltrexone works by blocking the 'high' that these substances can give you. Naltrexone therapy is combined with counseling and support groups. You can only use naltrexone after an initial detoxification period. If you take naltrexone while you are still taking opiate drugs, you can induce withdrawal symptoms. Generic naltrexone tablets are available.

What should my health care professional know before I take naltrexone? (Back to top)
    They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
    •if you are still using opiate drugs (narcotics) or alcohol
    •liver disease, including hepatitis
    •kidney disease
    •an unusual or allergic reaction to naltrexone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
    •pregnant or trying to get pregnant
    •breast-feeding

How should I take this medicine? (Back to top)
    Take naltrexone tablets by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Swallow the tablets with a drink of water. Take your doses at regular intervals and with food to decrease the possibility of nausea. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

Jake
  3. CarolynAnne

CarolynAnne New Member

I have been taking LDN for a year now. I have seen my immune system improve with taking this medicine. My NK cell count has improved from when I was first diagnoised - however my counts are still low and not in the acceptable range. It is not a "cure all" drug - I have still had flares.
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

This is one I had not read about before and everyone was raving about a couple of yrs. ago. I liked the idea that it was not addictive.
    Blessings........Susan
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

The only thing I am aware of that naltrexone was used for was reversal of narcotized patients.

We used it to reverse narcotic overdoses.

We also gave it in very, very small doses at the ends of surgery if narcotics had been used, and the patients wouldn't breath adequately because of the narcotics. I used it in very diluted doses, and titrated it to just where they breathed the way I wanted, as I DIDN'T WANT THE NARCOTIC EFFECT, BUT THE NARCOTIC RESPIRATORY EFFECT REVERESED.

I did not want those patients to have pain.

As for any other purpose, I SIMPLY CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW IT WOULD BE USED.
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

(LDN is Low Dose Naltrxone, must be lowest dose for us, from what I read. I am not on any naroctics, So maybe?......Susan)

=================================
    LDN & MS LDN Homepage

In Brief
    There is growing recognition in the scientific community that autoimmune diseases result from immunodeficiency, which disturbs the ability of the immune system to distinguish "self" from "non-self". The normalization of the immune system induced by LDN makes it an obvious candidate for a treatment plan in such diseases.

The experience of people who have autoimmune diseases and who have begun LDN treatment has been remarkable. Patients with diagnoses such as systemic lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Behcet's syndrome, Wegener's granulomatosis, bullous pemphigoid, psoriasis, and Crohn's disease have all benefited.

Because LDN clearly halts progression in multiple sclerosis, its use has been more recently extended to other neurodegenerative diseases, such as Parkinson's disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease) whose etiology remains unknown but for which there is suggestive evidence of a possible autoimmune mechanism.

In addition, people with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome have had marked improvement using LDN, suggesting that these entities probably have an important autoimmune dynamic as well.

MUCH more to read there and I want to know more from others with our "illness". I have CFIDS and Fibro....

I am hoping for something I can talk to my Dr. about!

Wishing you many Blessings...........Susan
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

the theory is that some sufferers from fibromyalgia are suffering from central nervous desensitisation. In other words our nervous systems are overreacting to many different factors. (Stress, illness, etc)...

Most docs are prescribing opiates for pain when in actuallity from what I've read some of us should be receiving the opposite. An opiate blocker, naltrexone for instance. In some cases people have actually had their fibro symptoms reversed.

Of course from what I know there do not seem to be any quick fixes. This is interesting because Naltrexone is quite inexespensive (and non habit forming).

The symptoms your experiencing are very similair to opiate withdrawal which is why alot of docs feel there is alot of promise to this treatment
  8. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I think most people first say to themselves "but I am not opiate addicted". That is not why FM patients are being given LDN.

Here is some info I received and I'm just going to post it - some of it is alittle technicial but overall it should make some sense.

The symptoms associated with opiod withdrawal have much in common with the symptoms of FM - diffuse pain, irritability and depression, feeling cold, abdominal cramps and diarrhea. The overlapping symptoms of FM and opiod withdrawal suggests that the mechanism of FM may be sensitization to endogenous opiods - i.e. endorphins. The initiation of chronic endorphin stimulation could occur through major physical trauma or through frequently repeated low level injury. Once established, whatever mechanism returns the CNS (central nervous system) to its normal homeostatic equilibrium fails to operate, and the patient responds with continued heightened endorphin exposure. If this hypotheses is correct, it is as the FM patient is in a state of chronic opiod withdrawal.

This hypothesized mechanism suggest a therapeutic strategy based on blocking the effects of endorphins by administrating opiod blocking medications. It would be expected that in an opiod-naive FM patient, oral administration on ultra-low naltrexone would lead to prompt reversal of opiod stimulatory symptoms, with decreased pain, muscle relaxation, and sensation of warmth. Repeat dosing at intervals dictated by the recurring of FM symptoms should lead to a reduction in the severity of symptoms and possible resolution of this syndrome.

A second strategy entails proving a dose of opiod antagonist sufficient to block endorphin effects for a prolonged period allowing the stimulatory changes secondary to chronic endorphin arousal to regress. A resetting of the system, so to speak. The dose required for non-selective opiod blockade is estimated to be in the range of 1 microgram to 1 mg. The clinical response to total endorphin blockade may range from immediate relief of FM symptoms to temporary exacerbation of symptoms followed by their partial or complete resolution.

So I definately find this interesting and any information I find out I will definately post. I will be speaking to my doctor about this.

Take care everyone, Ritatheresa
  9. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

A dctor friend recommended that I take this. However, Dr Enlander has had limited success and Dr. Tetitelbaum no longer uses this drug.

Has anybody had success with this?

Why are doctors losing interst?

Thanks for you input.

CherylSue
  10. cherylsue

cherylsue Member