Name it Mitochondrial Malfunction

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dbsek, Jan 3, 2007.

1. dbsek

dbsek New Member

Dr. Myhill's recent article posted on ProHealth's website infomed us that CFIDS is actually a response due to mitochondrial malfunction. If this research is accurate, then EVERY different symtom of CFIDS is covered underneath the root cause of mitochondrial malfunction.

(Mitochonria is the "energy battery" in each cell. In CFIDS patients the mitochondria is greatly compromised. I encourage everyone to read that article from the newsletter a few months back!!!!!)

Barb
  2. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

This is very interesting to me as I have been attempting to follow the Myhill Protocol and it has made a very big difference in my symptoms.

I don't think I have read the article you are referring to but I am going to go looking for it right now. I have often described this DD to others as it feels like my batteries won't hold a charge. Then I read one of her papers and it rang true for me. Thanks!
  3. spacee

spacee Member

using other things but this is my next interest.

If you listen to Dr. Cheney, then there might be a root cause of the root cause but either way it works out and I certainly don't know...the mito malfuction is exciting stuff.

Spacee
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Pesticide exposure explains it all. Just ONE class of Pesticides does its' job by AFFECTING THE PRODUCTION OF ENERGY. There are THOUSANDS of chemicals in this class, and therefore, can affect ANY component in the manufacturing of energy.

There are AT LEAST 5 MAJOR CLASSES of pesticides, which affect affect other bodily systems. The FIVE classes are those that: 1) Affect the Nervous System, 2) Affect the Production of Energy, 3) Affect the Endocrine System, 4) Affect Cuticle Production, and 5) Affect Water Balance. And it is MY BELIEF that it takes SIGNIFICANT exposure to EACH of the 5 MAJOR CLASSES, to end up with CFIDS. AND, LIKELY exposure to 4 MAJOR CLASSES, to end with FIBRO.

Have you studied pesticides as THE plausible cause of all our DD?
  5. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I actually saw an endocrinologist, a few things were out of whack. The worst was a carnitine deficiencey (don't remember exact numbers) he had said he has seen people come alive when they supplement carnitine. It didn't happen for me. Although I don't think I took it more than 3 months.

Interesting, makes sense!! Thanks!!!
  6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I like this name better than any of the ones used or suggested so far. It's more fundamental, at least.

Have you put it in the thread about discussing new names?
  7. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I know when I found this out I was very concerned, unfortunately my Dr wasn't. Carnitine was my most critical value but my hormones weren't very good either, my doctor didn't suggest anything. It's definately something to think about.

I recently started drinking vegetable juice and the shake in the morning and I have not felt better in years. By addressing nutrition I'm hoping to repair my body somewhat, my past eating habits were horrendous.

I'd probably like to go back to an endocrinologist in a couple of months (certainly not the same one), and oh yeah he's suppossed to be "the best", that's pretty funny.

Take care, Ritatheresa

8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You might not have been taking enough l-carnitine. When I first tried it some years ago, it did nothing for me. I think I was taking 1,000 mg. a day. I later read that CFIDS patients needed 3,000 mg. a day, and when I tried it at that dose, it really made a difference. Although unfortunately the boost it gave me only lasted about 10 days.

Mary
  9. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

My Carnitine was very low. High Pyravate.Problems with red blood cells. Time and time again yet no advice from any DR. What type of DR specializes in this???
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

darude posted Dr. Myhill's article last year (CFS is hear failure secondary to mitochondrial malfunction).

I replied under his post about the impedance cardiography test which measures heart function and in my case showed up as congestive heart failure - not the typical kind with swollen legs, etc., but some kind of heart damage. My doctor now has me on a whole protocol for this - see the posts, it's rather lengthy. I do think I'm starting to feel better, although got sick for a week so it's hard to tell. My doctor did say that the heart damage could account for lack of stamina, post-exertional malaise, etc. etc.

Also - I think there's a good possibility that mercury toxicity may be involved. It interferes with B12 utilization and absorption, megadoses help, it could have caused heart damage and cellular damage, and also Rich Carson of this board made great improvement after he did a detox for mercury. I'm planning on doing a serious mercury detox after I build up my strength a bit.

Mary
  11. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

Thank you for that advice, carnitine was relatively cheap. Which is better l-carnitine or acetyl-l- carnitine? I'm gonna try it again. Thanks, Ritatheresa
  12. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

Mike Reynolds.What does thia all mean??? Sorry I'm in a Fog. Again What type of DR specializes in this
  13. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

MikeReynolds Curious what you think of these blood tests

Carnitine 42 range 42-81
    Carnitine Esters 2 Range 3.8-19.0 **
    Red Blood Cell Dist. 14.8 Range 11.5-14.5 **
    Neutrophil 77.8 Range 40.0-74.0 **
    Lymphocte 12.8 Range 15.0-50.0 **
    Hemoglobin 16.3 Range 13.9-16.3
    Pyruvate <0.10 Range 0.30-0,70 ***

** Indicates out of range
  14. twitcher

twitcher New Member

How do I find the article?
  15. u34rb

u34rb New Member

twicher,

For Dr Myhill's article try;

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/7495/T/CFIDS_FM/searchtext/myhill
  16. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

BTT Mike Reynolds please
  17. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

Thank You.Taking B-12 B-6 and carnitine for the last two days. Nothing yet