Nanjee about flax seed oil capsules...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovecats94, Sep 26, 2006.

1. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Nanjee,
    I remember reading your article on flax seed oil capsules and not to take them when one has hypothyroidism or diabetes.

Well I'm on them and I'm finding my blood sugar is a lot higher all the time than it was prior to taking these capsules.

My problem is I'm trying to get my cholesterol down and I've tried most everything that is made and nothing is helping, but the Lipitor 80 mg. I take and I'm still 289 cholesterol.

I'm going to have to quit the flax seed oil capsules tonight as I'm tired of my sugar being over 160.

Also having a problem with CoQ10 and have had to quit that too as it causes my legs/feet/ankles to swell up worse than normally. I took one today and within 2 hours I had to take yet another Bumex to get the fluid down some.

I seem to have more problems with supplements than I do with meds.
    Right now the only supplements I can take is B12 sublingual and magnesium.

I appreciate what you wrote about the flax seed oil capsules and diabetes and hypothyroidism as I have both. Now I know what the culprit is for my high sugars. I just wanted to try the flax seed oil capsules to try to get my cholesterol down. I have raised my insulin and it doesn't seem to help any.

I am on a lot of meds as you can see from my profile.

Thanks again!

Hugs,
    Faye
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Nancy,
    I'll let you know what my sugars are when I can. I'm hoping to see a big reduction in them. They have been horrible ever since I've been on the flax seed oil capsules. I was so hoping I could take that for my cholesterol.

I take Lortabs for the FMS pain since I had to quit the Dicolfenac/Cytotec due to more fluid problems. I use aspirin now for additional pain.

I do a 24 hour urine collection test on 9/28 through 9/29 and will find out the results of that on 10/11. So if I have any kidney damage I should know that then.

Otherwise, if the fluid in my ankles mostly continues, I will go back to my family doc as this could mean the congestive heart failure or the need for a different diuretic.

I hope to be on the Prevacid about 40 more days and then stop it and go on Pepcid AC and see how I do on that. The GERD diet is the most important control for GERD anyway.

You are such a dear and sweetie for putting those wonderful articles on the board. Some of us just can't take certain dietary supplements and if it causes a major medical problem we need to know about it. Supplements are supposed to help us not hurt us. We are all so different.

I don't post here as much as I used to.

Thanks so much for your articles and help on the board, Nancy. I look for your posts when I'm here. Wish I had more time.

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I forgot to mention I take the Jarro-Dolphius EPS probiotic from the Pro Health Store and I have found it to be wonderful when I am trying to deal with constipation issues from meds.

I just take one a day. I keep mine in the refrigerator as up here it can get to 79 F and I feel it is okay to store in the refrigerator crisper. I have a tiny 4 cu ft. refrigerator in my office for water and diet soft drinks and diet cranberry juice.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. jesfms

jesfms New Member

ilove cats, all the cholesterol lowering meds have given me gerds...i can quit them and things settle down...so dr is giving me prilosec which is helping...my cholesterol is genetically high...was 370..and went down to 235 in six weeks with zocor..but it is really hard on my stomach as lipitor and pravocol has been...good luck with lowering it
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Nanjee/Nancy,
    I'm still posting on the Diabetes board and will continue on the Lupus board if Matt's biopsy shows he has Discoid Lupus. He'll find that out tomorrow.

Jesfms,
    I've been on Lipitor 80 mg. since 1997, when it came out. I just got GERD really badly in January 2006. I got really ill with it and had left heart failure and pneumonia on 4/6/06. That is when I was put from Pepcid AC to Nexium, which I had a lot of side effects from.

Now I'm on Prevacid SoluTab, but still having side effects from that. Hair loss is the one that bothers me the most.

My cholesterol is 289 with the 80 mg. of Lipitor. That is why I tried the flax seed oil capsules, but that made my diabetes worse and yet, if it made my cholesterol that much better the doc may want me to stay on the flax and just raise my insulin a lot more. I talk to my endocrinologist on 10/11. Just had the blood work done today.

Mysticbrit/Nancy,
    I doubt Slo-Niacin will help get it down from 289. lol Does that make you turn red? Niacin made me turn really red and feel awful when I tried it.

Cinnamon I had to quit due to it causing me heartburn and the same would be for fish oil. People with GERD are not supposed to take that as it comes up and they can taste it. Yuck!

The Crestor 10 mg. gave me headaches, so I had to stop that recently. My endo took me off Lipitor to try me on Crestor at the recommendation of a doctor on another website.

Thanks for all of you posting to me. I usually don't get much activity when I post on here anymore.

Big hugs,
    Faye =^,,^=
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Nanjee/Nancy,
    The sugar free ice cream will still make his sugar go up sky high because of the carbs in it. That is the problem with a lot of sugar free products.

The sugar free/fat free yogurt, called Lite by a lot of them are Dannon, the big brand names. You can even get the store generics. Just check the sugar because there will be milk sugar around 10 or 12. But you don't want added sugar to the yogurt. I go ahead and use the ones sweetened partly with fructose, but prefer they aren't.

Last ones my husband got me was Dannon Lite and that is much better than if your husband sits down and eats a pint of sugar free ice cream. He needs to limit it to a half of a cup to a cup at the max. I like Blue Bunny Sugar Free ice cream, but I think it is only at Walmart. Edy's Sugar Free is good but they have fat in them and the fat free ones taste terrible that I have tried.

If he needs to lose weight he shouldn't be eating ice cream, but we all want a treat off and on. :)

I was eating some sugar free cookies then read the label and saw all the bad fat they were putting in them. I stopped eating them. So you really have to read the labels. I have stopped a lot of junk food due to GERD.

BTW, I'm having to do a 24 hour urine today and collect it all to take to the Lab Corp tomorrow. You can't imagine what a pain it is to be doing this for 24 hours... lol All diabetes need to do this yearly though.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Mysticbrit and Nanjee,
    Oh brother...Mystic, you are still drinking the regular Cokes? Check your sugar on a random check and see what it is. I bet 2 hours after that Coke, your sugar will be 200 or more. You do more damage with the sugar than you ever would with either Splenda, Stevia, or aspartame. Try Stevia, but I heard it was bitter. I use Splenda.

Carbs, bread, cereal, rolls, pasta, all have to be watched and the starchy vegetables like corn, peas, lima beans, they are in the same family.

Mystic, the only good thing about you drinking the regular Cokes is you aren't getting the Splenda or aspartame that I am, but I've been drinking and eating that stuff since it came out and I'm still alive to tell about it. lol

Can't say it gave me FMS, because you drink Cokes and you have it.

Nanjee, you are never a pest. Yep, sugar free popsicles are fine. He can eat as many as he likes as they are very low carb because they are just flavored ice water with artifical sweeteners. Just watch the sorbital or those type of sweetners as they can cause a laxative effect.

Yeah, I drink Crystal Light at night in bottled water. That's fine and he can drink as much as he wants.

Yes, the Ocean Spray sweetened with Splenda is fine. I drink the diet cranberry because of all the UTI's I have gotten this year (2).

My husband bought some gluten free bread for me to try but we haven't had sandwiches for dinner. Tonight would be a good night for that. I'll try that bread. Once you open it, you have to freeze the rest or use it up fast he said. I don't think I have celiac disease, but I wanted to try the bread.

I can eat soy and I like soy, but because of hypothyroidism, I'm not supposed to use too much of it.

Lol Your hubby can have carbs, just don't make it the main part of his meal. Veggies need to be the main part and balance that with carbs and meat or fish, etc. If he is a vegetarian, we are really in trouble. I don't know how to deal with a diabetic vegan diet yet.

Start dinner with a salad with leaf lettuce and tomatoes and cucumbers and low fat salad dressing and that will help to fill you all up. Kraft makes a Light Done Right salad dressing that isn't bad. I have been using Kraft Fat Free, but I'm going to Light Done Right next.

Nanjee, your hubby should try the gluten free bread and see how he likes it. My husband found a store around here that carries a ton of gluten free foods.

I'm drinking the Diet Coke Black Cherry Vanilla right now.

You know girls we should be doing this on the Pro Health Diabetes board. lol I won't be surprised if they move our posts over there. lol

Love & hugs,
    Faye
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

It was about my experience with flax seed oil capsules and diabetes and how dangerous it is to combine the two without checking your blood sugar.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Hi Nanjee and everyone.

I have Hypothyrodism and take Flax Seed Oil and feel good on it. Just wondering why do you guys say it's bad for Hypothyrodism??

Just curious.

Chootik
  10. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Chootik,
    I don't know, you'll have to ask Nanjee about that. It was in the article she put up on the board.

All I know was it made my sugar higher all around and I'm petrified that my A1c is going to be close to 8% because of it.

I see my endo on 10/11. I'll find out then. I hope you get your labs done on a regular basis.

Hugs,
    Faye
  11. Chootik

Chootik New Member

"Some natural medicine textbooks advise caution in patients with hypothyroidism, although little scientific information is available in this area"

Hi Guys.

I read the article posted by Nanjee and the above sentence is all I could find about Flax and Hypothryodism!

This doesn't give us enough to make a case for or against Flax for Hypothyrodism and honestly Flax Seed Oil has so many positive aspects that I wouldn't just stop taking it on the above. If we find more research then it would be a different case. I just don't want people to read this and stop taking Flax Seed or Flax Oil without having solid research backing it up.

Thanks
  12. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Thanks for the article Nanjee...

It's alwasy good to learn more not matter what.

Chootik
  13. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Hugggssss back to you :)
  14. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I want to see if it will help my hair get thicker. I'm going to see if I can control my blood sugar better going with more insulin. I have heard too many good things about the omega 3 and my bottle has that in it as I got it from the PH store.

So, I'll let you all know what is what when I see my endocrinologist on 10/11. I'm hoping my cholesterol went down some.

If I can't control my sugar, then I'll just get off of it and forget it. I don't know if it will affect my hypothyroidism or not.

I always get a copy of my lab reports.

Hugs,
    Faye