Naps in the afternoon

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fireball, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Fireball

Fireball New Member

I am having trouble making it through the day without an afternoon nap. I have found that when I am able to nap on my days off, I can stay up past 7:00 p.m. It also may help me to not get sleepy on the 30 mile trip back home from work. Since I teach straight through the school day with no breaks, I have my free period at the end of the day. I am thinking about locking my door and trying to sleep on a pad on the floor. I am not sure though how my coworkers will react when they figure out that I am doing this. The other day, I mentioned that I needed a nap to a coworker and his response was that we all needed one. I can not remember the last time that I slept through the night as I am up and down all night long. The other problem is that by the afternoon, my pain level is pretty high. My morning also starts at 5:00 a.m. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I need naps in the afternoon too. Sometimes I need a nap at 11am. I need em a lot. There's nothing wrong with that. Can you sleep by putting your head down on the desk? I do that at my computer pretty often. Then you may not have to explain the mat. lol. Besides if you're done for the day why would it matter if you took a nap? Good luck
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I am in a similar situation. I would love to take a nap in the afternoon, but at work that isn't possible. I do get two 15 minute breaks during the day, so I can go down to the lounge and rest briefly. If the end of the day is a break for you, what would you normally be doing if you weren't taking a nap? If you wouldn't get in trouble for doing this, I would shut the door and lay down. You could have a cushioned map (the kind that folds up) and lay this on the floor. Not as comfortable as a bed, but it's the best you can do. Sometimes we have to ignore our co-workers. They just don't understand that we don't have the normal "tiredness".

I have had endometriosis and fibromyalgia for probably a good portion of my life. Like you, I often don't have a good night's sleep. Do you take any sleep and pain medications? I carry my pain medications with me and take them at work as needed. An hour before bedtime I take Ultracet (pain medication), Elavil 10 mg. and Melatonin 3mg. for sleep. Since I've done this, it's helped me sleep better. I also take my ice packs to bed with me and put them on the areas that hurt the most. For me the cold helps to numb the area.

I don't suppose there is any way your schedule could be re-arranged so your break is more in the middle of your day? Well, sorry I don't have more advice. Your situation is a tough one and unfortunately common for those of us still trying to work. Hang in there. Hope things get better for you soon.

Ellen
  4. asmom15

asmom15 New Member

Dear Fireball,

To get through the day I have to rest or nap about 3x a day.
    My energy seems to come back when I take little naps. When I feel tired or if I have to drive or do something, I have to rest beforehand. Otherwise the fatigue is to much. I feel dizzy or lightheaded. So nap when you feel you need to, it can help. I have the most energy in the morning. Around 2 or 3 pm. I am exhausted. I take a nap so that I can make dinner and drive my daughter to dance class. After 5 pm I am done for the day. Thats when I turn into a couch potato.

Sleep E-Z

asmom15