Narcotic or nonNarcotic pain treatment?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kryssie, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Kryssie

Kryssie New Member

Just curious, do you believe in pain treatment with narcotics or take a non-narcotic approach? What are your experiences with Docs and narcotics? What do you believe, they work or no?
  2. momof471

momof471 New Member

Unfortunately, I can't tolerate narcotics, or many other medications for that matter. If someone can take them I fully reccommend it as this could help their quality of life. There isn't much point in suffering if there is medecine you can take to help.
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I am currently using both and I think that is best. Ultracet and Hydrocodone are the two I take.

It's best to take the least amount of pain meds you can to get by. You don't want to let your body get used to powerful meds too quickly (especially with the chronic nature of this type of pain).

I have had doctors tell me that narcotics are 'absolutely not what I need'. I happen to disagree. I know they aren't ideal, and are not without their downsides, but the doctor doesn't have to live with this pain. I do. And I need what I need to make the pain bearable. My pain management doctor has been more helpful in trying to find me a way to live better.