NARCOTIC PAIN RELIEF, WHAT IS THE BEST FOR YOU

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilchisler, Dec 2, 2005.

1. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

I do not get to post a lot and I am sure this has been covered a bunch, but please, I need some imput. I have Fibromyalgia and Severe Arthritis. I am having a terrible time right now with stiffness and pain. I was on Vioxx for awhile a few years ago..off of now for obvious reasons. The doctor has prescribed Celebrex but I am afraid to take. I am on Effexor xr, konopin and Toprol..but nothing RX for pain. I have taken Vicoden in the past and it does nothing . I have taken all of the meds that are NOT narcotic and had no results. I am on my way to the doctor to demand something stronger as I can barely move and work at any pace without severe pain. What do I need to be asking for? Any suggestions on best relief. I need something that can be "taken as needed", not something that I take all the time./ Thanks so much. "lilchilser"
  2. wangotango

wangotango New Member

the only thing that woks for me is oxycontin. i have been on every kind of pain med there is and a combo of all of them as well. i take 40 mgs twice a day. good luck
    bill
  3. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi there...my chronic pain doctor has me on methadone...5 to 10 mg. morning and night. She likes methadone for FM, and it works better for me than Oxycontin. Good luck! b
  4. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

It helps, but my new rheumatologist "doesn't believe in narcotics". So he put me on Voltarin, and anti-inflammatory/pain reliever. I'm giving it a chance, but after a week and a half I'm actually in more pain.
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You could try Vicoden. It is also called Lortab. It does stop the pain.

There are so many effective meds for pain now, there is no excuse for anyone to suffer. If you have a doctor reluctant to treat your pain, look for another doctor.

For some people, supplements do not relieve pain. Pain meds give a much better quality of life for many.

At one time I was taking Vidoden, and also I took MS Contin - long acting morphine for several months.

Thankfully, I am much better these days and only take a drug called Subutex, Tylenol, and Ultram. (Ultram makes me sleepy so I don't take much).

6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Because my normal meds cover most of my pain, for morning pain, I just take 1 Lortab 10/500 about 2 hours after I take my calcium.

For a flare or something like burning my mouth, throat, etc. I take 4 a day and that helps pretty much, but not 100%. But then I don't think much would help 100%. What I like about Lortabs is you can get refills on them, but for Percocets you need a written Rx for each refill.

I have never taken Vicoden. I did first try Ultram, but that didn't help me at all, except make me very confused.

For the aching pain I have I found that Arthrotec helped me a lot, but I have to get the two meds that make that up separately. It is a NSAID, but it helps me a lot. That would be an all the time med, though.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

mostly codeine phosphate (no tylenol), and Endocet 5/325 (weak Percocet). This helps me offset tolerance, which I develop in less than a week.

I'm like you, I don't want to be on narcotics, or any painmeds around the clock, I take as needed. I get 1-2 days/wk with no pain meds at all, this gives my poor liver a break.

I do take enzymes regularly, the type that help w/ inflammatory pain. You may do well by augmenting w/ thse because of your arthritis. I don't have arthritis, but FM, and esp. IBS definitely causes some inflammation. The Prohealth store, here, sells the best value proteolytic enzymes I've found. And boy have I looked, California is a long, long way from Ottawa Ontario, but I know the proceeds go CF/FM research.

Jeanne
  8. lolee

lolee New Member

I take: Neurontin: 400mg in PM, 200mg in AM, plus another 200mg in afternoon if needed; Zoloft in PM; Baclofen 3x day; and Vicodin 7.5/750 as needed, I average about 4 a day; I also take 3mg Meletonin at night. I went about 10-15 years of only sleeping MAYBE 2 hours at a time, up at least 5-6 times a night.

The Neurontin really helps for the tingling and burning that was worse at night in my arms and legs, acts as a mood stabilizer and can make you sleepy, but not all drugged out.

Baclofen is an anti-spasmatic, I had been taking Soma off and on for several years but even just after a round of only 3 or 4 days I would have to take 2 instead of one. Baclofen works different then Soma, but it REALLY works on my back, neck and shoulder pain. You have titrate up on this or it can give you one hell of a headache, also it does not make you loopy and you do not build up a tolerence like with Soma.

The Zoloft is helping me in two ways, 1) it helps your brain process Seretonin which is crucial for restorative sleep and it helps me not to get so focused on my pain, because as we ALL know a lot of the time the pain can be so bad (especially while trying to find your own personal "cocktail") that it can become all encompasing.

The Vicodin helps with all my "other" pain. I had been up to 16-20 Vic's a day before we got all this other stuff on board. And hey, honestly now, I like a good buzz just as much as the next girl, plus it helped to shut my mind down to my suffering, but enough is enough, I really missed my life. And I found when I TRULY had a good portion of my pain controlled that was WAY better!

I think FINALLY getting some sleep however has been the best thing for me.

I told my doctor that I would try anything he wanted me to and that I would give it a good honest try, not just a day or two, but that I would not be in pain going through this, period.

I pray for you, right now. May you have some peace, somewhere in your life and I pray your Doctor will truly listen. And if doesn't find a different one.

LoLee
  9. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

Thanks for all of your quick responses...WOW..this board is informed. I had no idea what to ask for, the pharmacist cleared up so much also.
    I don't see my doctot for another week and am getting through the best that I can. I appreciate all the info and prayers. May good days come to all. lilchilser
  10. BethW

BethW New Member

HI Angie,
    Since you a nurse perhaps you can explain to me why methodone and vicodin both make me throw up like crazy - like a brain thing - just constant. Also when given Demarol for surgery did the same thing. Are they in the same family of meds? The methodone absolutely took all my pain away but after retching constantly for 12 hrs or more I had to stop. Pain Doctor said he could give me something for nausea but then that would be another med which I just hate. I convinced him to just settle for one Darvocette and one Darvon taken together as I was sick of trying them and getting so sick. I take Tylenol #3 for breakthrough pain, which doesn't bother me at all and does help quite a bit but I am scared to take it often. There must be a common thread in this type pain med that makes me do this, but what? Don't mean to put you on the spot but just curious. The ones I am taking now are barely lowering it some as long as I "live in a bubble."

Thanks for the help.

BethW
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

really~

I've had this DD for a long time and been a member here for quite awhile to. I get confused by all the meds and their strenghts. This has helped me better understand whats what.
    I've heard so much good about norco in the past,..(never have tried it) I think thats my best bet for the higher end or stronger pain meds.
    Ultrams only bring my pain levels down slightly.
    If i'm feeling a 8-9, ultrams make it a 6-7.
    I think I'd feel like a 100 bucks if I could get this pain down under 5!!
    I think I'll ask my Rheumy if I can try Norco.
    (less damage to my liver) Big plus!

Thanks for all this info~
    Hugs
    Tandy