Narcotic Suggestions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jennypee, Oct 17, 2005.

1. jennypee

jennypee New Member

I need some advice on drugs. I see my doc on Wednesday, and I'll be discussing a new narcotic plan with him. I'm looking for something that doesn't make me dopey but puts my pain around a 3 or 4 level. It also has to work with Prozac.

I've had some luck with Vicodin. The Fentanyl patches were too much drug for me, and the relief wasn't worth the side effects.

I guess this topic is probably pointless, as everything works differently on everyone and I'm the only one here who's familiar with my body. I think I'm just looking for suggestions.

All I want is to be able to function a little. Be able to shower and dress, go to work part time, and love on my 6 month old niece for longer than 15 minutes.

Rereading this post has me a "little" sad. I want something so small and normal, but I'm pretty much asking for the same miracle that everyone on here is looking for.

Oh well. It's worth a try, and at least I got to talk about it to people who understand.

Thanks everyone.

Jennypee
  2. larry11

larry11 New Member

Good morning to you, I to have used the vicadin, but that is also to strong for me, have you used tramadol?

I also have 7 50mg fentenyl pathches sitting here cause like you they are not worth the side effects, So where i wound up is with PERCOCET 7.5, usually just a half because a whole is little much, it keeps my pain to about 1-3 but every 5-6 hours is clock work to take them because I have to have them due to the pain, The tramadol worked wonders for me for about 2 months and then lost all its effect. good luck to you and i hope it all works out

Larry
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2005]
  3. jennypee

jennypee New Member

Thanks for responding Larry! I tried Tramadol a couple years ago with little result. It made me tired for about 2 hours, and that was all. My doctor made me stay on it for about a month though, until she felt I'd given it a decent try.

Thank you for the suggestion!
  4. BrendaBoo

BrendaBoo New Member

I know the narcotic meds can make ya doppy and I hate that too.You may want to ask your Dr. about a tricyclic antidepressant for your pain.The larger dose for depression has alot of side affects but in low doses they find it is very good to help pain.I wish you well!
  5. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Howdy. I have tried several of the lower-end "varieties", like you, trying to take the least I can get away with- Tramadol helps sometimes, Darvocet seemed to me to be less effective than that (but like you said, everyone is different...), I have Vicodin, which works occasionally, and then Percocet for my upper-8, 9, and 10 pain. It is pretty effective, not too dopey, although if I have to take two- I go to bed!

Good Luck!
    Lollie
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

You are right, Jennypee, meds work differently for everyone!

A pain mgt doc tried me on several for my back problems.

Darvocet did nothing, and Percocet was too strong--even a half tablet of the lowest strength will put me to sleep for 24 hours--and that's no joke!!!

So I am taking Lortab 7.5. This takes the edge off my back pain, but does nothing for my fibro pain. And .... if I take it after 5:00 pm, it keeps me awake ALL NIGHT LONG!!! UGH!

I tried Ultram (Tramadol) years ago and it did nothing for my back or fibro either.

Hope you finds something that works for you!
    Janet

7. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

but I take big time pain meds. Not to brag or anything, wish I was taking low dose pain meds instead of the narcotic ones. I would be screaming like a banchee!!

Wonder how the Prozac helps you. That is one antidep I have not tried due to all the rigamaroe I have heard about that med.

Best of luck to you!
    Sincerely
    Chungiedolor
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2005]
  8. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

This might be too late to help but thought I'd add my 2 cents...
    I take long-acting Morphine [generic MS Contin] with Vicodin for breakthrough pain.
    The rational is to keep the pain under control and at bay rather than 'chasing' it every 3 or 4 or 6 hours with a shorter acting drug.
    It works pretty well but I've had increasing pain over the last 6 weeks so I'm going to ask for a larger dose in a few weeks.
    My Doc talked about the Duragesic patch but it's kind of the 'big guns' and I didn't want to go with that until I really need it [hopefully I won't!] And I don't like the idea of relying on something for 48 or 72 hours and possibly having it wear off sooner than that [I've read here that it happens.]
    I also take Neurontin, 300mg 3X/daily, and it has an additive effect to opioid narcotics. I also have neuropathy in my feet [unrelated to the FMS] and it helps that, too.
    And I make liberal use of my heating pad!

Char
  9. zerped

zerped New Member

To expand on someone else's comment, talk to your doctor about trying the "old school" tricyclic antidepressants. There are two varieties. You try nortryptaline or amitryptline, and if it doesn't work you try the other. Last summer, my doctor and I agreed I would take a "holiday" with no amitryp. for a month. I had been complaining cuase I thought it wasn't having any effect. I was wrong, the stuff was definitely doing some good.

W/o the drug, my daily headache pain was much worse, I wasn't getting enough anti-depressant from my St. John's Wort and even my fatigue seemed to be worse without the med. It may take some time to build strength, but if it works for you like it has for me, you'll be glad you did.