Nasal Drainage = Yuck

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MJJBunny, Jul 28, 2003.

1. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

I have had CFIDS for 15 years and have FM also

For several years now I have had this thick nasal drainage going down my throat. It usually starts after I have something to eat, usually at lunch time (doesn't start when I drink coffee).

I have gone to a Nose and Throat specialialist and allergist and nothing has shown up.

I can stop this drainage by eating a super sour sucker with sour gum, but other than that, I've found no solution to stop it (not a long term solution). Drinking water changes nothing.

Does anyone else have this problem or know of a way either to stop or control it?
  2. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I've had post-nasal drip for longer than I care to admit. Try squeezing some lemon in your water or just hot tea with lemon (both unsweetened, sugar seems to make it worse), that helps some for me. When it gets really bad I take allergy medicine. I don't think there's any real long term solution, at least none that I've found, but the good news is that the lemon water or hot tea are two of my favorite beverages. LOL
    Love and blessings
    Mar
  3. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

I too have seen ENT with this issue to achieve notta!I use Benadryl at a tad higher amount than label reccomends,DR said amount.It is real odd as my mouth and eyes are dry,but I have the yuck!The benadryl adds to dryness,lowers amount of yuck-not gone-don't think ever will be. I used Nasonex& Flonase,however I had Very bad bldy nose issues after minimal time on either,Dr said benadryl would be best cost effective route. 100 capsule bottle 50mg,less yuck! Peace,l
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

I've had it for a long time, but it has gotten worse just over the past year or so. I take Allegra once a day, and sometimes I add Benadryl also. But, (not to be too gross), I constantly have "yuck" at the back of my throat and am constantly coughing it up, actually I don't even have to cough, just clear my throat. It sounds disgusting, but I have to get it out of there. The ENT gave me the "recipe" for the nasal spray, but I could never get it to work the way she said it was suppose to. Supposedly, you spray in one nostril and the salt water is suppose to either come out the other nostril or down the back of your throat. All mine does is come back out the same nostril. I have gargled with hot salt water with vinegar and when I do that it seems to bring a lot of stuff out to expectorate (I think that's the correct word for spit).

Do you wake up almost every morning with a sore throat? I do, especially if I sleep with the windows open at night.

Dara
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am recovering from sinusitis and have gone back to sniffing sea salt and purified water up my nose and into my sinuses. It really cuts through the post nasal stuff.

I am on the Guai tratment and it is a mucus thinner, so that helps too.

I wonder whether you may have some food allergies since this seems to happen when eating. My nose runs nonstop when I eat, but it's clear and thin.

BTW, welcome to our board.

Love, Mikie
  6. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

I'm very happy to have found this board. I've been silent about my problems for a long time.

I've been through food allergy tests and came up with nothing. The allergist prescribed Astelin spray three times a day with 10 mgs of Zyrtec. I went up to 20 mgs of Zyrtec because it didn't work. He told me to stop the Zyrtec because the dosage was way too high. In revolt I stopped everything. Since I know that endless use of nasal sprays can cause problems, I don't use it very often.

I guess I've pretty much decided that this is one of those other things I'll have to live with. It does help to know that I'm not alone.
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I used the nasal saline solution for many years, prior to use of OLE (Olive Leaf Extract)..However, this really works on the Sinuses..got rid of Chronic Sinusitis, sinus blockages and nasal mucus and a myriad of other problems have been changed..I had had to stay in filtered air, most of the time..prior to OLE.

I had gone to all the appropriate docs, who did nothing to help my situation..I suggest you look into OLE..there is much information on this board..put into search box at top..If you have any questions, feel free to ask..

To better days ahead,
    Plantscaper

[This Message was Edited on 07/29/2003]
  8. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

has been a problem for me for years. My sinuses stay clogged up all the time and I have practically no sense of smell. I'm always coughing up the phlegm from my throat. I didn't know until I came here that this is a real problem with FM people. I can't stand to sniff stuff up my nose, although I know Mikie's saltwater trick is recommeded. I'm looking forward to trying the Olive Leaf Extract, as soon as I can find some.

JoAnn
  9. Dizzi~

Dizzi~ New Member

I've also have post-nasal drip. I think it is the basis of my problem with a chronic cough of 18+ months now. Also have very poor sense of smell and recurrent sinus headaches.

Sugar makes it 100 times worse, as do dairy products.

I find that English mustard really helps clear my throat. About a teaspoonful spread on toast or crackers (no butter) will do the trick. Not very palatable, but it does provide some relief!

Kirsty