Nasty Reaction to Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sun_Rae, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Sun_Rae

Sun_Rae New Member

I've been using Extra Virgin coconut oil for some time now, but the first time I loved it so much that I ate like 4 or 5 teaspoons the first day. That night I had stomach pains which followed by a WEIRD immune reaction. I couldn't take a full breath without pain in my upper-upper chest. On top of that I had freezing, freezing cold symptoms till I piled on the blankets and hugged the heating pad. Then the aches and pains set in all over the body with a mild fever. This lasted for about 16 hours.

So, I didin't know it was from that but I'm guessing it was because I did it again yesterday. I made an egg drink and dumped 2-3 Tablespoons of the oil in there. A few hours later it started all over again. This time the aches and pains were more isolated to the knee joints and back. It was slightly more mild reaction but i still can't take a full breath. THAT part is weird!

Am I the only one that has this reaction with coconut oil?
  2. Sun_Rae

Sun_Rae New Member

Yeah, I do cook with it.. I keep thinking positively that it's killing some virus or organism, but the chest thing is weird! The chest thing lasted a few days, too.
  3. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

death!!! coconut oil does kill off pathogens so maybe using so much at once caused a Herxing reaction. From everything I've read you need to start gradually then increase to 3 tsp a day or spread the amount over one day- not all at once.

When I started with coconut oil I had to go slow in increasing it because of the Herxing. I know that if you are allergic to something you have a reaction within 1/2 hours and if it's an intolerance the adverse reaction can take up to 2-3 hours so it makes it hard to determine what it was! If it's an intolerance you can slowly work up to be able to handle the stuff.

But what a weird/scary reaction!

4. Sun_Rae

Sun_Rae New Member

Yeah, it was definitely a delayed reaction. It's def gotta be immune activation though. I didn't think I'd be as bothered because I just did and am still on an anti-candida diet and taking Phytostan which has caprilyc acid in it already. I had typical Herx reactions for the first two weeks on Phytostan, but it was nothing like this.

I hate this and that we have to get sick to get better. As much as life sucks I'm trying to make the best of it and take in rest and a lot of BAD daytime t.v.! :)
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Sun_Rae,

Well, the stomach pains, freezing coldness and aches and pains all over with a mild fever sound like detox symptoms. Or possibly Herx symptoms. So apparently the coconut oil is doing something for you, but you might want to slow it down to a manageable level.

I got the wild swings in body temperature when I overdid the simplified methylation supplements, and I think that was a detox reaction. Anyway, I hope you figure out what dose of coconut oil works for you!

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Three tablespoons of any oil is a lot of oil. You might want to consider cutting back to one tablespoon and see how that goes.
  7. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Maybe you are killing off a virus, fungus or bacterial pathogen. I've tried it in many types of salad dressings and can't tolerate it. I know I have Lyme (Borrelia), Babesia, Bartonella, CPN, Candida, and EBV. Do you get the same type of response to Olive Leaf Extract?

Here is an interesting article by Dr Teitelbaum about treating pathogens in CFS & FM:
  8. Sun_Rae

Sun_Rae New Member

Hi Munch,

Wow! So sorry you have all those infections. i know i have EBV and candida, but that's it. Lyme tests negative but lately I wonder.

I used to take olive leaf religiously and no, no reaction what so ever. In fact, I don't react to many things. I def feel viral though. It's like I have a 24 hour flu. Tomorrow, if it goes like last time, I will feel like a million bucks.

I tried that link and couldn't get anything to come up, but I'll try googling it.

Thanks! Stay well!