National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week 9/11-9/17

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ll1816, Sep 6, 2006.

1. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hi all:

I just got my most recent issue of "Today's Christian Woman" and there is an small article about invisible illnesses, like ours (they even mention Fibromyalgia).

There is a website listed for tips and ideas to help the healthy know what to say and what not to say to those who suffer, some great articles and other interesting sections.

I sent the URL to my friends and family in hopes that those who don't "get it", might try a little harder. Anyway, the site is www.invisibleillness.com.

Just thought some of you might be interested in making others aware of this important week (9/11-9/17).

Hope you all have a great day.

Hugs,
    Liz

[This Message was Edited on 09/06/2006]
  2. keke466

keke466 New Member

3. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

4. painintheeverywhere

painintheeverywhere New Member

Liz,

I would like to read the article is their a website to read it from. I just went to my therapist and he decided we would do a workbook together "Mind Over Mood" followed by >Change how you feel by changing the way you think"...I am not sure if I should be defensive or not...I am trying to keep an open mind and told him I would do anything to feel better and emphasized that Fibromyalgia is not caused by depression, it is the other way around. I may need to show him a copy of the article though.

Thank you

Jane
    [This Message was Edited on 09/06/2006]
  5. ll1816

ll1816 Member

The article I mentioned is just the size of a side column, but this is what it says:

"It's What You Can't See"

September 12-18 is National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week. Millions of Americans live with these conditions-such as fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis-and their needs are overlooked. If you have a friend who struggles in silence, consider lending a helping hand:

At Home: Does the shower need to be scrubbed? The leaves raked? The carpet shampooed? Offer to take care of those things.

Out and About: Accompany her to any place where she may need assistance. Get your hair cut at the same time or have the oil changed in her car during your lunch hour.

In the Kitchen: Offer to pick up some groceries rather than bring over a meal. Many times people with illnesses are on restrictive diets and would prefer fresh fruits and vegetables to casseroles.

For more ideas and tips on what to say and what not to say to a friend with an invisible chronic illness, visit www.invisibleillness.com.

I hope this is helpful Jane. The website has some great articles that you could share with your therapist. I think the articles are on the left side of the website.

I'm on your side as I'm sure everyone here is. Fibromyalgia is not caused by depression, however we become depressed or chemically imbalanced as a result of.

I wish you the best of luck with your workbook. You aren't alone.

Hugs,
    Liz
  6. painintheeverywhere

painintheeverywhere New Member

I didn't mean for you to do all that work, but thanks! It is interesting. I think that I am going to start compyling information for all of the non-believers of FMS & CFS. I am about to tell people to educate themselves before judging (in a nicer way, of course). I am hurt by some of my closest loved ones, I don't think they realize what they do when they are trying to help by saying "you'll feel so much better if you just go back to work." If we only had a painometer...

It's nice to know your a Christian as well!

Jane
  7. ll1816

ll1816 Member

I'm glad it provided some help. I think you'll there are alot of good websites with information for "non-believers" so to speak.

It is hard when they don't understand. I struggle with that from time to time, but I find that what helps me is to remind myself that I really don't have to prove anything to anyone. If they choose to not educate themselves or believe that I am ill, then that's their problem, and I try not to own that. I use to carry that with me, but my therapist and the Lord, have helped me to let go of that.

I just saw your bio...I lived in Aurora when I was in high school. I lived with my dad and stepmom and went to Overland High School. What a small world!

Hope you have a great day!

Hugs and God bless,
    Liz
  8. blueyegirl57

blueyegirl57 New Member

Hi Liz, Can you please tell me how to get "Todays Christian Women " It sounds like good reading and information. Thanks Blueyegirl
  9. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Here is the website where you can subscribe: http://www.christianitytoday.com/women/.

I think they have a free trial issue offer, so you can try it before you buy it.

I really enjoy it. When I receive it in the mail, there always seems to be an article related to something going on in my life.

Have a great day!

Hugs,
    Liz

10. blueyegirl57

blueyegirl57 New Member

Hi Liz,
    Thanks for the web site for Christian Women.
    Peace Be With You.
    Nancy
  11. ll1816

ll1816 Member

...and also with you.

Hugs,
    Liz
  12. blueyegirl57

blueyegirl57 New Member

I went on the web site and ordered the magazine ~~Thank you. Peace Be With You , and your family !!
  13. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Blessings to you and your family too. I hope you enjoy the magazine as much as I do.

Gentle hugs,
    Liz