Natural Antibiotics, Anyone ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jul 27, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am looking for natural antibiotics that you have tried and works.. Trying to avoid another round of antibiotics for the sinus/ear thing.. I am taking garlic, (1 to 2 cloves a day) grapeseed extract
    200 mg a day, and apple cider vinegar (1 tablespoon with 8 oz. water) Vit. c was on a 1000 mg but they upset my stomach so cut back to 500...which vit. c and grapeseed extract I always take along with my vit. D3 , multiple vit/ mineral supplement and fish oil..

I think this sinus/ear is allergy even though my test show I do not have allergies.. but the ENT says infection and keeps giving me antibiotics and I just don't want to take anymore of them. After I have been on them a few days I do began to feel better, even my cfs symptoms but after I finish them , in a couple weeks the same ole symptoms return.. My D.O. says its CFS..

Been testes for lyme , yes I know the test are far from accurate but the all the docs says no lyme... I have no fever, joint pain or other symptoms.. Who knows ....

2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I finally broke down and went to see my D.O. thank goodness he is back.. He said I had a really bad sinus infection and was going to have to have antibiotics two rounds, so I got my script for a Z-pack never taken them before..

He also mentioned me seeing a Natural therapist, for a hair, skin and nail analysis.. he said it couldn't hurt and since all my test seem to come back ok, he knows I am not ok..

We had a long talk which always helps my mental state. After the antibiotic he wants me to try and stay on things to help my immune system.. He did tell me he has no doubt that cfs/fm is autoimmune. He is hoping seeing the analysist will help show what is going on and help him, help me...

First time in awhile that I felt hope when I left the doc's office. He did mention DMG, never heard of it and Magnesium Oxide.. but will see what the analysis shows.

I have called the therapist so will see where this leads.. Wish me luck with the z-pack..

God bless,
  3. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

is Golden Seal Extract in capsule form. I have sworn by this natural product for many years. It does a wonderful job on eliminating all of the mucous in your sinuses which if left untreated, can eventually make you feel awful with horrible headaches.

I take a little more than what the bottle says at first, usually 6 capsules throughout the first few days. Make sure to consume water so to help the efficiency of it.

I think you will have good luck with it. Indians used to use this plant as a natural antibiotic back in their time. Look it up on the net if you have any concerns, but I think you will be happy with the results!

Good luck, and a big hug!

Tropical Girl*
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Many people on lymenet have used Samento, cumanda, cat's claw.

I am not an expert on any of them and have not used them.

You can find many posts about them on the Medical Questions board on
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

colloidal silver
    coconut oil
    olive leaf extract
    oregano oil
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi GG - If you haven't already done so, you might want to invest in a neti pot and clean your sinuses each day with saline. It is proven to help with infections and allergies. Even once the infection is cleared up, you should continue to use it each day to keep a new infection from taking hold.
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Tiger, I have the neti pot and was using it but my ears would act up , once had a vertigo attack
    right after I used it ,ever since then I have been so scared to use one. Not sure it if gets fluid in my ears or what..

8. greatgran

greatgran Member

For all your suggestions.. I am going to try the z-pack.. doc says to far gone need antibiotic...
    Then going to see the natural therapist and I am coping all your suggestions to take to her..

Appreciate each of you so much!!!

9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Vit C is great for both, but you have totake a ton....I went thru the whole antibiotics thing over and over yrs ago with sinus issues....doc was finally saying I needed surgery.....started taking a lot of vitamin C and sinus stuff went away

tried to cut back and got sinus issues again, increased the vit c & they went away....have tried this several times over the yrs always with the same results....have also found the vit c helps my seasonal allergies

I currently take at least 12,000 mg (12 grams) a day and increase this if I start to get sick.....generally people have to start with a lower amt and gradually increase bc it can cause stomach issues until the body adjusts.....otherwise there are no problems with taking a lot of vit c bc your body will get rid of any extra so you can't OD on it- it won't store it and cause problems
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Well, tried one pill of the Z-Pack darn it had a terrible night. I am so allergic to Biaxin why did the pharm. and doc give it to me.. Oh, well, checking into all the natural choices.

I will be seeing the Natural Therapist on Mon. so will suffer a few more days. This may be a blind road I am taking,going to be realistic but try not to be negative..

Thanks to everyone who replied and gave me suggestions.

Aunt Tammie, vit. C really upsets my stomach in high doses .. indigestion etc. Is there a certain kind that wouldn't do this. My ENT recommended 1000 units a day and a certain kind that wasn't so hard on your kidneys... but can't remember what he said..

Hugs and God Bless,
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

For anyone who decides to take the large doses of Vitamin C you want to be sure to take divided doses throughout the day, not just one big whack once a day :)

12. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I keep all those that AuntTammie listed on the shelf to ward off a cold or flu at the first sign. When my digestion was bad and I would get a bug or food poisoning easily I used to take them after I ate if I ate out anywhere. I don't eat at salad bars because that's where I got clostridium and I've gotten sick at them at other times as well. Once, I felt sick after eating at a salad bar and took oregano oil for a few days and was fine, whereas my sister who I was with got Giardia.

I also use goldenseal sometimes--used to use it a lot and found it was one of the best antiviral/antibiotics. It's popularity has dropped off a little, in part because it was disappearing in the wild from overuse.

[This Message was Edited on 07/30/2010]
  13. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Be careful with too much C--it's an antagonist for some other things and can throw off other things. One antagonist is copper. I tend toward low copper so even though I benefit from a good amount of C (like those with CFS seem to do) I can't take too much and make sure I take copper. It also worsens those with hypoglycemia who have low sodium (ME!). It also antagonizes manganese (I was low in that too!) Also too much can mess with calcium. (Me, again) There's some other problems, as well like if you increase C you need to increase E since they work synergistically.

Supplementing is about ratios as much as it is about deficiencies. Too much of anything can throw off these fine balances. And it's really why you need a naturopath or nutritionist to assess you personally.