Natural Cure for Constipation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RedHeadEMT, Dec 9, 2006.

1. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

I am so excited about this, I had to share it with everyone! I was pretty sure that I had figured out recently, but I wanted to wait a few more weeks, before I said anything...

POMEGRANATES!!!! EAT THE SEEDS, PLEASE!!

Yes, I have been taking pain meds for about two years now, regularly. And I have been constipated regularly for about two years now. :O)

My husband has always loved those seedy suckers, but although the juice tastes lovely, I always thought that they were too much work for so little reward, as I've always spat out the seeds after sucking them dry.

About a month or two ago, pomegranates came into season. Watching my husband putting the seeds into his yogurt, I asked him why the heck he eats the seeds; he told me to read a little about it online and research I did.

All the research that I read advised that pomegranates are some of the healthiest things ever nature-produced, chalk-full of antioxidants, vitamins, and the seeds are basically FIBER in a seed. All the research advised that you should absolutely eat the seeds, that it is a terrible waste not to, as so much goodness exists inside them.

So, I began my adventure with pomegranates. I ate at least a quarter of a small/medium one a day. Sometimes I would sit down and eat a whole one! I would put a handful into my yogurt, on top of my salad, or just sit down and eat it by itself.

Within a week or two, I began to have more regular BMs. After a month or two now, I have a nice BM usually once a day. My gassiness and bloating has passed and I don't have to take rxed meds to help me go after noticing that I haven't gone in over three days.

It's like a miracle; who would've thought that something as simple and normal (that most people take for granted) as a BM could come from something as simple and normal as a seedy fruit?

Just today I announced my breakthrough to my husband (we're open like that) and he told me that that was the whole reason why he started eating and loving pomegranates so much-to control his IBS (The poor guy had such terrible IBS that he had to finish high school in home schooling because his IBS was ruling his life) when someone told him to eat pomegranates. And he did.

Anyways, I just figured that I'd share this revelation with everyone, since I'm super excited about it and I plan on making pomegranates (but most importantly, their seeds) a regular part of my diet.

BELOW IS A DIRECT CUT AND PASTE FROM ABOUT.COM'S QUESTION OF THE WEEK...
    "Question of the Week
    Q. My 5 year old son loves pomegranates. He eats the seed and swallows the hard part in the middle after chewing it up. This is the way I've always eaten my pomegranates. Is this ok for my children to do or should they only extract the juice? My sister told me that the seeds can get lodged in the intestines and create problems. Is this true? Mike, California
    A. According to the Pomegranate Council, when eating a pomegranate, you should 'roll out the arils (juice sacs)', discard everything else, and then 'eat the arils whole, seeds and all.'

They go on to say that it is a 'personal choice' as to whether or not you eat the seeds. However, keep in mind that 'most of the fiber that you get from eating pomegranates comes from that little seed.'

In addition to having some fiber, pomegranates are a good source of Vitamin C and potassium."
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Hi RHEMT,
    I too was an EMT for many yrs. I would really miss it if I didn't feel like crap. Good info On pomegranates. I drink POM the drink made from poms and tea. Always nice to know this stuff.

Take care,

kbak
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I like Pomegranetes too. They take a little getting use to. I'm beginning to enjoy apple seeds, watermelon seeds too.

My constipation is also helped by adding fiber, enzymes and also Probiotics (healthy bacteria for the gut). The probiotics makes enzymes that dissolve stuff that can bind us up. http://www.enzymedica.com/pdf/probio.pdf

4. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

Psillium saved me in the same way. I take two little psillium seed pills if I can't have a BM. It's the best!

(Sure beats old-people prune juice!)

CFS 6 1/2 years -- 25 years old
  5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

a half cup a day mixed with juice is a sure cure .
    Plus aloe has MANY other great beneficial properties .
    I mix it with cranberry juice or red grape juice, which is great for your skin AND arteries !
  6. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

I also eat at least a bowl of Organic Raisin Bran with Clusters from Trader Joe's...that, combined with the pomegranates does it for me...

Oh, and OFCOURSE, as much other fruits and veggies as possible, too!! :p

K
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Thanks for the great tip.

I had IBD-D most of my life until I started pain meds 2 1/2 years ago. Boy, what a total reversal. From 5 times a day to once a week if lucky.

I'm currently on a RX stool softener but I find that doesn't work too well and I end up having to take something stronger.

I'm going to give your pomegranate seeds a go. (Pardon the pun) Sure hope it works for me.

Thanks again,

Eileen
  8. forfink

forfink New Member

Have you tried taking a lot of magnesium tablets? As my doctors says Magnesium stands for M O V E. Sure is ans easy thing to take.
  9. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Hi Guys.

I have suffered from Constipation all my Adult life! I kept asking doctors why I was constipated.. and they just couldn't answer! So finally I've read about Probiotics and Enzymes and that has helped a bit.

But I started taking FIBER and that made me more constipated, it didn't help me at all! Has anyone had this experience w/Fiber? I finally stopped taking it and am drinking Prune Juice and eating a lot of fruit and drinking water to stay regular. I think I have to add Enzymes to my diet though.

Anyways, not sure why Fiber pills didn't help me.. any ideas?

Chootik
  10. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

redhead:

I am glad it works. I might very well give it a try for me.

Thank you for the tip.

nyrofan
  11. glafdy

glafdy New Member

I have had constipation all my life, but once I started on pain meds it got much worse. Like you, I took FiberCon tablets. I was told fiber was supposed to help. It made my constipation so bad that I had ischemic colitis attacks where my body would go into a severe attack where the blood flow would stop to the colon, because it was trying to push the stool out so hard.

I then had a doctor that told me to get off the fiber and take stool softeners instead. I take 4 stool softeners, 4 combo stool softener/laxatives and Milk of Magnesia and I'm still lucky to have a BM.

My daughter bought me some pomegranates last night so I will give it a try. Any other suggestions would be trememendously appreciated.

Gladys
  12. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

This is so unreal but I saw some pomegranates in the grocery store the other day and it just blew my mind. I've NEVER seen them in there before.

My grandmother had the pomegranate bushes and we had them every year and we ate them as kids. She had a couple of bushes, yes bushes, not trees, in her yard and we would go out there when they were ready and pick them and eat the seeds.

This is really great news. I would have never thought this but its great to know this now.

I posted about constipation a month or so ago and believe it or not, I found my relief in "WATER". I drink as much water as I can everyday and eat "Fiber One" cereal about once or twice a week.

Thanks for the information;

BlueSky555
  13. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Wow, I can't believe how many replies ya'all have posted since I last checked the board last night...so let me address some of the questions...

Eileen, I'm excited for you, that you are going to give the pom seeds a GO (lol cute!). Let us know how it works for you.

LOVED, I get my pomegranates from the local fruit/veggy stand, that I so luckily have right down the street from me. Right now, I can get medium sized Poms for $1.49/lb. At the grocery store, they are $2.50/each. Either way though, it is totally worth it, in my opinion! Nothing else has ever worked for me.

Forfink and SNOG, I have not tried Mag tabs, although they are supposed to also help with FMS symptoms...I may just give'em a go!

Joyfully, thanks for the great website info; the more info we are armed with, the better! A recent study showed that most people only get between 5-20 grams per day!!

Chootik-The cause of constipation is pretty simple to explain; I'm surprised that your docs had such a hard time explaining it to you. Hm...Well, anyways,

CAUSE OF CONSTIPATION (in most cases):
    Constipation is usually caused by a slow-moving bowel and when the colon absorbs too much water from the stool.

To understand constipation, it helps to understand how the colon (large intestine) works. As food moves through it, the colon absorbs water while forming stool. Muscle contractions in the colon push the future BM toward the rectum. By the time stool reaches the rectum, it is solid because most of the water has been absorbed.

The hard and dry, pellet-like, stools of constipation occur when the colon absorbs too much water from the stool. This happens because the colon's muscle contractions are slow or sluggish, causing the stool to move through the colon too slowly.

A common cause of the sluggishness could be narcotic pain meds (which causes the intestines to slow down in its functions, making the waste stay in the colon LONGER, causing even MORE water to be absorbed from the waste-making it even harder and more difficult to pass) and other medications, such as antacids, muscle relaxants, antidepressants, iron supplements, diuretics, and anticonvulsants used to treat epilepsy.

PROBLEMS WITH TAKING MORE INSOLUBLE FIBER WHEN YOU ARE ALREADY BACKED UP:

Fiber -- soluble and insoluble -- is the part of fruits, vegetables, and grains that the body cannot digest.

Soluble fiber dissolves easily in water and takes on a soft, gel-like texture in the intestines.

Insoluble fiber passes almost unchanged through the intestines. The bulk and soft texture of fiber help prevent hard, dry stools that are difficult to pass.

HOWEVER, if you are already constipated and start packing in more insoluble fiber, you can imagine that you would only be adding to the backup....

If you do plan on increasing your fiber intake, please do it very gradually!!!

Hope that helps a little, Chootik, Gladys, and others. I'm going to repost the tidbit up top for others who may not enter this message.

Bluesky, you were so lucky to have a POM bush, growing up, what a blessing! When we get our own house, that will be one of the first things that gets put in the dirt-a POM plant!!!

Hope that all helps...thanks for all the other suggestions and remember, this is just a tip-something that has worked for ME. I can share my experience and hope that it helps others as well, but since you bodies are different, this is NOT guaranteed to help. It IS just a lovely fruit though; I doubt that it could really do any HARM, right?

Take care all!!!

K
    [This Message was Edited on 12/11/2006]
  14. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I have tried various cleansing products, and various fruits/vegetables for this problem over the years, but the product that I like the best is Chiro-Klenz. It is a tea made from 3 herbs. It is very powerful. You are only supposed to drink 1/3 cup a day; I usually do about a 1/2 cup. I like the way it tastes too. The reason why I like it the best is that it seems to pull a lot of mucus out; its a deep cleansing detox. I purchase it from my chiropractor. I have never tried to get it elsewhere so I'm not sure how readily available it is.
  15. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I found the fiber chart!

http://www.wehealnewyork.org/healthinfo/dietaryfiber/fibercontentchart.html#fiber#fiber

This lists the food, the portion size, the calorie content & the fiber content. It is a long list.
  16. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Ok so should I take SOLUBALE FIBER instead???

I've been eating a healthy diet almost all of my life. Now I eat mostly Organic food, very little perservatives, No Alchohol, Coffee, Coke and don't smoke! Also eat lots of veges and fruits and drink a good amount of water.

What I do think would help is probably more enzymes and Probiotics. I guess now I kind of understand why the Fiber didn't help me, but does this mean I should take no Fiber Supplements or just very little?

Thanks for your wonderfull article and words of wisdome. This basically answeres my questions about why I've been constapated ALL MY LIFE!

Thank you again :)
    Chootik
  17. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

LOL Yes, yes, it is all so involved, isn't it? hehe Eventually, it starts to make so sort of rational sense.

I, too, eat the same diet as you: mostly organic, very lil preservatives, no junk food, no alcohol, no caffeine, very little soda (only once in a while and usually 7up or ginger ale), eat tons of fruits and veggies, whole grains, legumes, and I also don't smoke! Phew! And I, too, was constipated for the last year and half since I started taking pain meds, up until I included the poms-first time that ANYTHING has worked.

Probiotics and enzymes usually can't hurt; I eat about half a cup of organic yoghurt every day, at least. I put POM seeds or frozen rasps in there, too, with a bit to granola...it's like a dessert then! :O)

Regarding the fiber...it really depends on what your diet has been so far. Have you been eating a lot of fiber regularly? I would say if you a constipated still, then you should include more soluble fiber until you get moving again-then start to slowly add more insoluble fibers to your diet. You could check with your doc, too, see what she/he suggests, too. Remember, I am but a lowly EMT. hehe

I'm so glad that I could help! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

Take care,

K
  18. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Hi there.

Thanks a bunch.

So where do I get Solubale Fiber from? Is it in any foods or does it only come in a supplement?

I'm ready to solve this mystery for once and for all. Actually getting CFS might have been a good thing after all, it's given me the chance to deal with a lot of issues that I had never dealt with including emotional, health, confidence and all!

So I'm determined to find the cure and not stopping till I do!

Hope you're doing good and I'll keep you posted.
    By the way, my family is a BIG fan of Pomagranates so I'm eating them like crazy after your post! This morning I had a nice bowel movement let's see if it continues :)

Hugs
    Chootik
  19. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Hi Chootik! I'm so happy that I was able to help someone out! I'm excited to hear that you've been eating lotsa POMS and are getting movement in your bowels...hehe

So, more fun facts on fiver-hope this all helps!

Both soluble and insoluble fiber are undigested, therefore not absorbed into the bloodstream. Soluble fiber forms a gel when mixed with liquid, while insoluble fiber does not. Insoluble fiber passes through our intestines largely intact.

INSOLUBLE FIBER:

Functions:

-move bulk through the intestines
    -control and balance the pH (acidity) in the intestines

Benefits of Insoluble Fiber:

-promote regular bowel movement and prevent constipation
    -remove toxic waste through colon in less time
    -help prevent colon cancer by keeping an optimal pH in intestines to prevent microbes from producing cancerous substances

Food Sources of Insoluble Fiber:

-Vegetables such as green beans and dark green leafy vegetables
    -Fruit skins and root vegetable skins
    -Whole-wheat products
    -Wheat oat
    -Corn bran
    -Seeds & Nuts

SOLUBLE FIBER:

Functions:

-bind with fatty acids
    -prolong stomach emptying time so that sugar is released and absorbed more slowly

Benefits:
    -lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) ------> reducing the risk of heart disease
    regulate blood sugar for people with diabetes

Food Sources of Soluble Fiber:
    -Oat/Oat bran
    -Dried beans and peas
    -Nuts
    -Barley
    -Flax seed
    -Fruits such as oranges and apples
    -Vegetables such as carrots
    -Psyllium husk

Take care!!

K