"Natural" Fever Reducers, anyone know of any???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam_d, Feb 27, 2006.

1. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I haven't been on in awhile, due to having pneumonia. I'm on a strong antibiotic, and a prescription cough syrup, but my biggest problem with this is, I cannot seem to shake the fever!

I've been doing Advil for days, more than I care to. Tylenol just doesn't seem to reduce the fever significantly for me---as soon as the Advil wears off, though, my fever's right back up there (which makes me ache all over, head pound, etc.)

Aleve is hard on my stomach, so I don't take that, and I think the Advil's finally getting to my stomach, too---that's something I have always used sparingly, now, unfortunately, I'm taking it round the clock in order to be comfortable.

Anyone know of any other fever reducers---like any supplements, herbal remedies?

I hate this pneumonia!! I think my cough is actually a little better, but this constant fever is nasty!

Thanks, friends----Pam
  2. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

is your body's way of killing viruses and germs. If you still have a fever your antibiotics may not be working as well as they should.
    There is so much pneumonia going around this year. I have a friend in ICU do to it.
    Don't take any chances on your health, report the fever to your doctor.
    I do know not to take cool baths. This can give you the chills and make your fever worse.
    I wish I could be more help,
    A
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I was not aware that a fever could make the antibiotics less effective. I called my regular doc yesterday, but she seemed reasonably unconcerned, just said to continue the advil/tylenol, maybe alternating them (my pneumonia was dx'd at an urgent care facility; I swear, my regular physician acts like I've snubbed her if I've gone to urgent care, which I only did because it was after office hours and my fever was increasing a lot).

Anyway, thanks for the responses, and the good wishes.

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I would ask your Dr. -IF YOUR fever got TOO HIGH... you dont want that either. Yes fever is helpful to you rbody but NOT too high.

If that happened I was told for my son when he was delirious due to fever one time- to put cool washcloth on forehead, arm pits and groin. That will cool you down. Also helps to suck on a popsickle - something cold- will cool down core and will continue getting fluids into. Of course I am sure you know already about drinking liquids etc.

Hope you feel better ! Karen
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Pam,
    I don't think that the fever necessarily makes the antibiotics less effective. It may mean, however, that you are not on the right antibiotic for your particular infection. I would go back to you Doctor and discuss this. Usually, the fever goes down soon after you start the right meds.

Also, be careful with hot baths etc. They can actually increase your body heat significantly and if you already have a fever, this can be dangerous.Tepid baths are better.

I hope that you feel better soon.

Kathy.

6. urge2soar

urge2soar New Member

Please don't wait too long with a fever spiking. From my own experience with a pneumonia I know for a fact that if it is the wrong antibiotic you will not get well.

I didn't read where you say how long you have been taking the antibiotic...or maybe I did... If the fever does continue it will be time to see another physician for evaluation.

After reading the other posts, it seems we are pretty much all in agreement that the fever shouldn't continue for any length of time after starting antibiotic. Hospitalization is something I know you want to avoid.

Be better.

Peace*Health*Happiness*
    Soaring
  7. caroleye

caroleye New Member

When I had that 5-week flu from hell, I couldn't stand the achies that came w/fever, and someone recommended Elderberry Juice Extract.

Amazing how much that helped. Got it at the health food store. I only took 5 drops in water, although they recommend more. (pediatric here).

LIGHT**********carole
  8. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I think you should try another doc and fast!

You should never have a fever for any length of time w/o being checked. Your body is trying very hard to fight this. How many days have you been on the antibiotic? Sometimes they take a few days to kick in.

What is your fever/temp?? Are you able to keep track? If it's a low grade, I wouldn't treat it. If it's on the higher side for you, you need to see your doc or get a new one. You probably need alot of fluids. Do you have any Emergen "c" packs??? They are minerals, you can get at the vitamin store.

If you're able to move about some, or send someone, you could try a homeopathic remedy for pneumonia. You can buy them according to the virus/disease. Homeopathics sometimes will make one feel worse before you feel better,but this is how they work. They allow your body to do the healing for you. I use them alot, but never for something so serious and so far into the illness.

But same thing goes for fevers. Just look for it to say "fever" on the label and for the cause of the fever, like infection or virus or wound etc. They will work, but fever isn't the problem, it's just the symptom of the pneumonia or bacterial infection. The fever is how you "gage" how serious it is. Are you sure you want to mask it??

Also you might want to try taking a pro biotic (acidolphilus) along with the antibiotics because the antibiotics will kill the good bacteria too and your intestines are 70% of your immune system.

Please be careful and don't hesitate to go to emergency care despite what your doc thinks!!!

Keep us posted, lots of hugs,

skierchik
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...the antibiotic I'm on is Avelox (an antibiotic specifically for lung problems)---normally a 5-day regimen for bronchitis, this doc at urgent care put me on it for a 10-day cycle. I'm 1/2 way through now, and I can tell my cough is getting better.

The fever ranges from about 99.5 to 101.2 or so....when my advil kicks in, my fever definitely goes down and I feel better, usually I seem to sweat a lot then, as someone mentioned! If I let six or so hours pass, my fever starts to climb again, and with it comes a killer headache, body aches and sometimes chills. If I get advil into my body on a regular basis, I do okay....I just hate taking this much advil, I need at least three to do any good. I tried tylenol, but I feel it doesn't work as well at reducing the fever for me.

I'm trying to drink a lot of water, more than I normally do. And I feel better overall and pneumonia-wise, just not when the fever climbs.

I actually have to go back to work tomorrow, I've taken too many days off. Luckily my job's only 6 hours a day. Just wish I could conquer this fever. BTW, my doc also did a nose swab to check for flu---which, of course, you could have concurrently with pneunomia, that came back negative.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I'm learning a lot here.

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. Manina

Manina New Member

Try phos forrus my spelling may be shot on this. But you get it at the health food store, these are put out by Boiron.