natural household odor control (without the toxic chemicals!) ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Feb 24, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I just read about something called ZEOLITE, a mineral that traps and breaks down molecules that cause odors and toxic molecules.

I think I've seen it for sale in bags to hang in the house or car or wherever it needs to be, but cannot remember where I saw it. Maybe in what used to be the Seventh Generation catalog, maybe somewhere else. Just can't remember.

Does anyone here know what I am looking for and where to find it?

I know this is pretty obscure, but I think it may solve a couple of problems for me, without resorting to chemical or expensive solutions.

thanks, Beth.

[This Message was Edited on 02/24/2006]
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Hey Beth,

I can't stand the smell of most of those air freshener type things, even sented candles.

When we bought the used mobile home we moved into last June it smelled, as my daughter put it, like an old lady! My DH put those oil air fresheners in it and it smelled like a vanilla scented old lady!

The week before we were going to move I went to Costco. I took the stuff to the new house because it seemed silly to put it in the old house so I could move it!

When I opened the trunk I could smell the fabric softener sheets I had gotten at Costco. Gave me a brillant idea! I put a sheet on an air duct in each room. It really worked great! The house smelled fresh, not scented and the smell didn't bother me at all.

Now I use one in the car and put them around the house any time I notice it needs freshened up. We have a lab and a golden retriever that live in the house full time so we have dog smell to get rid of. This works great!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies (and the fabric softener!)!
  3. floridamarlen

floridamarlen New Member

ive always used purifyed water with 2drops of bleach and any liquid you can find, i use vanilla,peppermint. ive even tossed a few lemon peels in and just make sure the pans full of water put it on simmer and enjoy
    good luck
    MARLENE
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

plain old baking soda....

sprinkle in the carpet

put in the refridgeator
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

If you do a search for Zeolite on Google you should find a couple of suppliers. Some people say it works really well...when we lived in a humid climate I can't say that it really helped much. We did much better with ozone machines (would run them and then air out the area before coming back in).

Once I bought an air filter that was a planter with zeolite in it and a peace lily which is supposed to help filter out toxins. It actually caused me some lung irritation so I gave it away.

We're all so different with our reactions...I can't even stand unscented fabric softener sheets because they pick up the smell of the scented ones they were stored next to. I open windows every chance I get and boil water with a little lemon peel and a cinnamon stick to freshen the air a bit.

Jan
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Borax can be found in the laundry section, $5 for a 2 kilo box. I make my bathroom scrub w/ borax, baking soda and unscented laudry soap, good as any toxic store product too. Scrubbed my oven w/ it (ovencleaner is out for me because of MCS). I also use Sunlight dishsoap all over the house, which is one of the few I don't react to, lots of very chemically sensitive people can use Sunlight for some reason. They have a new one out that is white, but still lemon w/ hand condition. Smells and works even better, like way better. I put a dolop of Sunlight w/ borax for the floors, house smells great.

I've added ginger to a box of baking soda and it smells as good as any airfreshener, and used it as carpet fresh too. My sister likes to boil cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger in water. It adds humidity in the winter and people come in and say how good it smells and think she's been baking.

If you don't react to Sunlight and like a lemon fresh smell, you can wipe things in whatever room down and it will smell fresh and clean for days.

Jeanne
  7. moaningjoan

moaningjoan New Member

That is what I use. Absorbs odors but doesn't give any out. Can be bought in bags and hung or put in areas like under sink, etc. It works.
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

especially if they are planted in something that contains Zeolite, Pearlite, volcanic rock and/or charcoal. You have to like them well enought to be willing to spend the time taking care of several for them to do much good.

Many people are allergic to the pollen of peace lilies. If you have peace lilies, you should break the center out of the bloom before it starts shedding pollen. The bloom will last just as long.
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

I just love talking about this sort of thing on this site, because folks here have such wonderful ideas and practical advice. And don't look at me funny when I talk about using nontoxic alternatives, either! (I'm a school nurse, high school, and when kids come in with upset stomachs, sometimes I offer them baking soda and water to drink. They look at me like I'm from Mars, but admit that it helps. What has happened to the tried and true, non toxic ways??)

Thank you all, I'll try some of the things suggested. I've used white vinegar instead of fabric softener in the laundry with good success, but never thought of using cider vinegar to clean with.

I did find a bag of the rock stuff at Bed, Bath and Beyond, and put it into my new car to try to get rid of the awful 'new car smell'. Just did that last night, so I'll see today if it works.

I'll check into using Borax, too.

You are all wonderful resources! Wonder if we should pool our ideas and write a book...

Thank you!

Peace,

Beth.