Natural Killer Cell Activity Level? Very Concerned.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by srobins, Mar 10, 2006.

1. srobins

srobins New Member

The last time I had bloodwork done at the F & F Center, my Natural Killer Cell Activity level came back at 3.8. The doctor is really concerned about it because he said it should be 30 - 50.

Just wondering if anyone on here has a level that low, or lower? Should I be really worried about this? I have been worrying about it, just not sure if I've been worrying too much!!

Thanks!
  2. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

My Nk cell activity was low too..9.60. I think it is pretty common with us and is why we have so many infections and viruses in our body. Our immune system can`t fight them off. I try not to worry about it too much, the only think we can do it build up our immune system. Do you take anything for your immune system such as the transfer factors? Are you feeling any better with your treatment there.

I go to the Dallas FFC and was doing a lot better but the last few monthes I have found out I have IC of the bladder. I have cut back on some of my supplements because I`m not sure which ones will irritate it more.

Hopefully some others will post with more answers for you.
    Sandy
  3. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Mine is a 5 and I worry a lot about it too. I am very sensitive to meds and supplements and have yet to find one that I can tolerate. I have read all the scary facts about low NK activity and need to get it up soon. I know a lot of us are low. So anyway, you aren't alone with this one.
  4. srobins

srobins New Member

I was diagnosed with IC 2 1/2 years ago. I have found the treatments at F & F have really helped my bladder condition a lot. I do not have near the amount of pain or frequency that I had over a year ago before I started going to F & F.

The doctor at F & F has me on Transfer Factor Basic and Maitake Mushroom Extract for my immune system.
  5. AJME

AJME New Member

I've been on DanActive for about 1 1/2 months. It has helped my immune system....I got the below from the DanActive.com website.....

During a very intense exercise effort (like competition sports) the defense response of the body is weakened. For example, there is a decrease in the number of NK cells the body produces during that time. A study done with athletes of high competition has shown that among the athletes who were drinking DanActive the decrease in NK cells due to the physical effort was significantly lower, and therefore their body defense response may be improved.
  6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m glad you told me you have IC too. Is their any supplements or meds that you can`t take from the FFC because of it? Did they know what it was and did they give you anything special to treat it? I`m figuring out the foods I can`t have but not sure about supplements and meds.

Thanks
    Sandy
  7. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I also had low NK cells, tested at FFC. Mine was 5.6 in a reference range of 20-50. Also had a bout with breast cancer...hmmmmm, could there be a connection?

This was paired with very high RNase, and both together indicate infection.

I had mycoplasma pneumoniae, echovirus, candidiasis and lyme disease.

At first I was on this:

NK-Stim:
    Stimulates immune function, including natural killer cells (NK cells), for improved ability to fight infections and decrease cancer risk.
    Contains
    Zinc 10 mg.,
    Arabinogalactin (from Western Larch Tree) 640 mg.,
    Olive Leaf Extract 400 mg., and
    Aloe Vera Concentrate 160 mg.

Also taking various other supplements that help such as:
    Multi with green superfoods
    CoQ10, antioxidant, supports mitochondria

The last two months I stopped the NK Stim (expensive) and started taking Host Defense, by New Chapter, a blend of about 16 medicinal mushrooms, and it's organic:

"Host Defense has been shown to increase human Natural Killer (NK) Call activity by up to 300%. The immune-enhancing power of Host Defense comes from two sources: the unsurpassed quality of the MycoMedicinal mushrooms, and the proprietary combination of species.

Each of the MycoMedicinal species has, on its own, an ability to support human immune functioning, but the combination of these 16 mushroom sources creates synergies, waves of reinforcement, that bathe us in immune support."

I'm also taking medicinals and RX meds, to fight the infections, lyme and hypercoagulation, and boost immunity. The hypercoagulation, an effect of lyme disease, prevents the absorption of foods, vitamins, minerals and medications.

So I'm taking:
    Boluoke (Lumbrokinase) for hypercoagulation
    Azithromycin for lyme
    Artimisinin
    Cumanda
    Nystatin
    Probiotics (Jarrowdophilus)
    Whey protein

I've also been taking DIM Complex since the breast cancer. It's "Diindolylmethane occurs naturally in cruciferous vegetables and may transform Estrogen into its beneficial 2-hydroxyestrone (2-OHE1) metabolite.*" This active ingredient from the cruciferous family of foods (cabbage family) also helps the immune system.

Other aspects of improving the immune system and the NK cells include:

balancing the hormones
    treating the underlying viruses, bacteria and infections

Then, there are things that we can do for ourselves, that no one else can do for us (so said my dear, departed Aunt):

stress reduction
    deep breathing
    gentle yoga
    qigong
    walking
    getting some sun (Vit D)
    laughing more
    social interaction (this is probably the hardest one for me, but it does usually lift my spirits)
    healthy diet

After going through breast cancer, I found that one of the most important things to aid my recovery, in addition to the excellent medical care, was to do those things that helped me feel that I had some sense of control, that I had some power to effect my own life. (The things I just listed above, for example.)

I'm sure I forgot something. Please don't panic. You're still walkin' and talkin'!! Hopefully, the treatment you get at FFC will be helpful. After a period of time on treatment, you can be retested.

Best wishes for health and healing,
    Hopeful4

8. jane32

jane32 New Member

I am not that concerned. I think most people in general are low. The nurse at the FFC where I go is around 6 and she has no symptoms, no illness and never even gets colds so I am not sure how much I believe in the low readings. Just my take on it. With that said I am still taking Maitake and TF.
  9. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Hello, Dr. Salvato in Houston who treats CFIDS, takes NK levels with every visit. I have definitely found that the lower, the worse I feel. One thing that I have found that helped raise them was amino acids. Dr. Salvato had me taking glutathione injections. I did have a very slight increase on the shots, but had a much bigger increase by taking Nutricology's free aminos. I also had a noticable increase in energy/sense of well-being.

Mine are really low now. I'm taking Imuplus, but I'm wondering if I should just go back and take the free aminos again.

I've had breast cancer twice and of course I'm concerned. Diane