NATURAL PAINKILLER MORE POWERFUL THAN MORPHINE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Nov 14, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

The human body produces a natural painkiller several times more potent than morphine, research suggests.
    When given to rats, the chemical, called opiorphin, was able to curb pain at much lower concentration than the powerful painkiller morphine.

The French team said their findings could be lead to new pain treatments.

But other scientists were unsure of the significance of the work, which is published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The significance of these findings for pain control is.. still uncertain

john Wood, UCL

The researchers isolated the chemical in human saliva, although they believe it may also be present in other parts of the body.

To study its pain-beating effects, they injected opiorphin into rats, who had either chemically-induced chronic pain or mechanically-induced acute pain.

The researchers found injections of one milligram per kilogram (mg/kg) of opiorphin could suppress the rats' pain to the same extent as injections of 6mg/kg of morphine, which is used to manage severe pain.

The researchers are not yet certain of the exact mechanism, but they believe opiorphin may be stopping enkephalins, chemicals found in the central nervous system that modify the body's response to pain, from being destroyed.

Possible mechanisms

The researchers now hope to identify the conditions that trigger the release of the chemical, and lead researcher Professor Catherine Rougeot, of the Institut Pasteur in Paris, France, said their findings could potentially lead to new treatments for treating pain.

But she cautioned: "First we need to explore the pharmacological profile of opiorphin and to study its toxicological effects."

John Wood, professor of molecular neurobiology, at University College London, said: "The discovery that human saliva contains a pain-killing protein is very interesting, and follows on from the discovery of related protein activities in rats and cows. These proteins all stop the breakdown of natural morphine-like proteins that block pain pathways in the brain.

"However, drugs that act in a similar
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

This is a combination of the D - and L - form of the amino acid Phenylalanine. This form of phenylalanine acts as a natural pain reliever. It will help your body make DOPAMINE AND Endorphins. Endorphins are actually far more powerful than the drug known as morphine. For pain control or as an anti-depressant take 1,000-4,000 mgs twice a day on an empty stomach. (I personally take 1000 mg, in the morning, empty stomach and this is my only pain medication.)

It will also help your body make Tyrosine, which converts to the neurotransmitters norepinephrine, epinephrine, dopamine and tyramine. Tyrosine and its metabolites have been shown to support emotional well-being, memory and learning.

I would say you will see an improvement the FIRST DAY, and its' effect improve over time.

It is available in ANY health food store and costs less than $10. This is a winner!
  3. leubie

leubie New Member

hey darude, thats some very interesting info-------did i understand from your article that its NOT available to the public?????------will it ever be??????---------i read somewhere that wild lettuce (available at health food stores------boiled like tea)-----its supposed to be the" poor mans opium" -tried to find anybody that had any info------or had tried it????--------do you know????? ----thanks for the info----------LOVE TO ALL----------LAURA
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

... those poor rats?
  5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Potent Painkiller Found in Human Saliva

By Ed Edelson
    HealthDay Reporter
    Tuesday, November 14, 2006

TUESDAY, Nov. 14 (HealthDay News) -- French researchers say they've discovered a natural painkiller in human saliva that's several times more potent than morphine used in animal studies.

The researchers have named the pain inhibitor opiorphin, because it acts on the same pathways as morphine and other opiate painkillers. The finding could lead to improved pain medications because opiorphin is a naturally occurring molecule that is quickly metabolized, according to a report by researchers at the Pasteur Institute, in Paris.

Not much is known as yet about opiorphin, said study author Dr. Catherine Rougeot, director of the institute's Laboratory of Pharmacology of Neuroendocrine Regulation.

"We found it in saliva, that was the first step," she said. "Now, we are exploring its presence in other human biological tissues. Maybe it is localized in the blood, the brain. Now, I cannot answer."

It's not even known where in the body the substance is produced, Rougeot added. "We need more information to answer this question. Now, we need to characterize its function at physiological levels and learn by which tissues it is produced," she added.

The study was published in this week's issue of theProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The discovery was made after the researchers identified a powerful pain-inhibiting molecule in rats. Their search for a similar molecule in humans turned up opiorphin. In rat studies, injections of 1 milligram of opiorphin per kilogram of body weight equaled the painkilling power of 3 to 6 milligrams of morphine per kilogram. Opiorphin was equally effective against chemical-induced inflammation and acute physical pain.

In addition to studying opiorphin, Rougeot and her colleagues plan to make and study variations of the original molecule. "It is important to mimic such compounds," she said.

A painkiller arising from the research could have important applications for human use, Rougeot said. "Opiorphin is natural, so it is quickly metabolized," she said, so its effects on the body would be more limited than those of existing painkillers.

Rougeot already has contacted a pharmaceutical company about funding for more research on opiorphin. "To complete this program, I need very much money," she explained.

Identification of opiorphin is "a potentially very significant finding," said Dr. Max Kelz, an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care at the University of Pennsylvania. "This new compound could serve as a potentially useful therapy for fighting pain in a number of conditions."

Kelz agreed that the discovery was just a beginning. "More has to be done to elucidate how this affects other endogenous painkillers," he said. "But the results are certainly promising."

Dr. Ed Ross, director of the pain management center at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, said opiorphin could be an important addition to the only other natural painkillers found in the human body -- endorphins.

"Endorphins have been around for quite a while, but they are weak and have a short half-life, so the problems in using them clinically are very significant," Ross said. "Now, this is a compound that has much more strength than the endorphins. It also suggests a potential for other synthetic compounds that work on different receptors that we have known before, and, for a pain doctor, that is very significant."

Another paper in the same issue of the journal described the discovery of toxins from two species of snails that hold promise for relief of severe nerve pain such as sciatica. The toxins lock onto nerve cell receptors to block nerve pain, said the report by researchers at the University of Utah.

One of the toxins, designated Vc1.1, is being developed by an Australian company and already is undergoing trials in human patients. It is administered by injection.

It may be possible to develop a version that could be taken orally, but that might require 10 years, said a statement by J. Michael McIntosh, a research professor of biology and a member of the team reporting the discovery.

"There really is no highly effective treatment available for this kind of severe pain, so having a new way to treat it is exciting," he said.

6. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Elliespad - What brand/store do you get your DL-Phenylalanine from?
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

I have been using Vitamin World and Puritans Pride. Both seem equally effective. I usually take 1000 mg. in morning, but you can certainly take another dose later in the morning or early afternoon. Just don't take late in day, as it WILL keep you awake. I would say DL-Phenylalanine is my #2 supplement. Topped only by L-Tryptophan, which lets me SLEEP. Great stuff. But this one, not so cheap.

O2Sleep, I just looked at your profile. TOO FUNNY !!! Definately flush the toilet before you grab the keys.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2006]
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Yes, Shannon, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Jeanne
  9. darude

darude New Member

Always feel sorry for them except when they are in my house!
  10. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Thanks elliepad! I'm going to order some DL-Phenylalanine and see if it can help my pain at all.
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

Just dont take it if on MAO inhibitors. And I guess, people with schizophrenia don't need any more dopamine, they have too much.