Natural Progesterone-Reaction?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by retrogirl, Jul 6, 2003.

1. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

I've been using Maca (an root herb) for quite a while for my hot flashes, night sweats, hair loss,etc. I was also being helped by a homeopathic remedy for hypothyroid. It worked great for a long time until recently when all my smyptoms became severe.I decided to add natural progesterone cream.I am using 1/4 tspn. two times a day and will increase to 1/2 tspn. twice a day and see how I do.It has been a week and I want to give it some time before I know if it's working.I've had pain in my hip joint(which I haven't had in a while)and was just wondering if anyone else had this or heard of this reaction.I have a history of being overly sensitive to meds(natural or not) I never know if I'm reacting to something I take or it's just a coincidence. Like some of you I get new and strange symptoms all the time.I don't want to stop taking the cream and start all over again.Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Susan
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I used the Progesterone creme while going through menopause, and am now on specially copounded prescription progesterone drops. I never had any pain from either, and ahve never heard of pain as a side-effect of Progesterone. The only side-effects I had from the cream were an increased chocolate craving and sore breasts, which meant I was using too much, and I was only using 1/4 tsp..
    The drops have made me a bit hungrier and I've gained 3 lbs. They help my mood so much, that I don't want to give them up.
    I wish you had a holistic doctor on your case who could answer these questions for you, instead of just trying to figure it out yourself. Hormones are nothing to fool around with, and all of them should be checked out and properly balanced.
    Klutzo
  3. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

Klutzo,
    Thanks for your quick reply.Unfortunately I don't have a doctor I can talk to.I am on SSI and have not been able to find a doctor on this plan.I just go to a nurse practitioner that is close by. She knows nothing about CFS/Fibro/Chemical Sensitivities and seems to be resistant to being educated.I am awaiting the decision for my SSI/Medicaid medical review(what a nightmare)
    Anyway, I'll try this for a while and see if it helps with any of the symptoms.
    Thanks,
    Susan
  4. kimo

kimo New Member

I have been on the cream for 3 1/2 years. I will soon be 43 and had a complete hysterectomy at 28. It seems to help me with alot of things. My breasts are bigger since using it and I have gained some weight. I had my progesterone levels tested through saliva to see if I was gettin too much but it didn't look like I was. I haven't had pain with using it so not sure with you. Good luck...KIM