Natural Remedies For Peripheral Neurothapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Jul 9, 2008.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I believe I have this also and that the Levaquin triggered this too.

Burning feet and skin, burning pain and hyper sensitivities to temperature changes...etc etc.

Anyone here have any advice for treating this the natural way? Vitamins, supplements etc? Anybody have some real success with this?

I know about Lyrica and Neurontin..but sure seems like they have a lot of bad side effects.

Thanks, JB
  2. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi JB,

I've read that peripheral neuropathy (PN) is believed to be caused by a state of hypoxia that affects the nerve endings because they’re not getting enough oxygen. This is caused by two primary reasons: 1) too much sugar in the blood (diabetes) and 2) excess heavy metal toxicity.

Two short stories to share that might relate – A good friend of mine developed PN in his late forties and by about age 50 had reached the point of needing a cane as his walking had become so unsteady. Going on the theory that heavy metal toxicity was a factor, he went on an aggressive oral chelation program with natural substances to detoxify. He also added high amount of essential fatty acids (EFAs) from fish oils. He was able to walk without a cane within a week. After staying on this program for several months, he felt he probably did not need to do it any more. His symptoms returned within just a few days.

Second story – I talk occasionally with a man named Jerry at a company called PromoLife, located in Arkansas. When I told him my mother was having some problems with PN, he mentioned that they had some products that sometimes brought immediate relief from neuropathies. He gave an example of some people calling whose doctors are urging amputation of a limb from diabetic neuropathy. Sometimes within a week of using one of his products (I think designed to increase circulation) things improved significantly and surgery was avoided. Wish I had more specifics, but I believe one of the products was one that was set up in the bath tub and created a lot of fast moving water.

I don’t know if this information is related to what you’re dealing with, but thought I’d pass it along. Best to you as you go forward.

Regards, Wayne

P.S. Just remembered there are some homeopathic creams by Triflora that can sometimes bring some pretty immediate relief from skin situations.

Also, I do clay foot baths as part of my own chelation program. I started a thread last year entitled <a href="">Detoxification Clay / Clay Foot Baths Work Well for Me</a>. My feet always feel incredibly good after doing one of these baths.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2008]
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

mine started with a bout of mumps a few years back, instantly couldn't walk and have had periperal neuropathy since in my feet. Doctor just shook his head, but I found out online that severe viral infections can also cause this.

To get to the point, it hasn't gone away, some days are better than others.

I was advised here to take B5, pantothenic acid, which I've done for a couple of years now - I honestly don't know how much it helps, if at all, but you can look it up and see what you think.

I tried Neurontin and Lyrica and had terrible side effects but they work for some people

Good luck
  4. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

Hi JB,

I know you're looking for natural remedies and I agree, if you can find something natural that works that would be my first choice too. But I wanted to share with you that my mom and I both have fm and are both on neurontin (gabapentin) with NO side effects (I've gained 10 lb but I can't say it's due to the med). My mother also has PN and has had VERY severe burning pain, first in her feet, then feet and legs, getting worse over time. She was on lyrica first, and did okay but it was expensive so switched to neurontin, which worked even better for her. The neurontin has eliminated the pain almost 100%. If she misses a dose the burning is back within hours, so she's careful about that!

If you don't find a natural solution, just be aware that although some people can't take lyrica or neurontin, others do very well on it.

5. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I posted this on the thread about Levaquin but you may have missed it...

I was prescribed Lyrica and Neurontin for the remarkable and debilitating burning in my arms and legs, esp. the left leg...It even got into my tailbone (damn levaquin got through my entire body)

I began going to classes for natural ways to heal and one class was on aromatherapy, using essential oils...She also worked in a hospital, in administration, and was aware that doctors are still practicing, hence the damage they cause us...She has devised ways of healing from the outside to avoid pumping more toxins into an allready sick body...

She made me a bottle of oils that I was to rub on all limbs (you must do both legs and /or both arms for 'balance'.

One ounce of carrier oil (grapeseed or sweet almond, I guess olive would work too) with 10 drops of Rosemary oil, 10 drops of Lavendar and 10 drops of Peppermint...

I began by rubbing the tendons in my wrists so I could get some relief to continue with all the other areas...It hurt just to touch but there is no benefit til you rub, not hard, just make sure you can 'feel' it working...I then did my entire arm, then the other, then both legs...Make sure you end each limb toward the digits, going from shoulder to fingers and from thigh to toes...It is believed that this is ridding the toxins and getting them OUT of the body via the extremeties...

It helped me immensely!

The first day I did this after a shower, I felt immediate relief and after months I still do this everyday...I also use sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil all over my body while damp...I have also changed soaps, using olive oil and shea butter with lavendar from the health food store...I no longer have skin issues and the healing effect is awesome.

Total monthly cost after buying the intital 3 bottles of oil and carrier oil plus monthly bottle of soap would average out to be about $8.00 per month...You would have to buy soap anyway which is full of chemicals...My husband uses it now too and would never go back...He recently had a bad fall and nearly broke his shoulders (fall from seizure) after suffering a month, he used the oils and he is nearly pain free...

My friends use it too, works on all of them...

Good luck~MamaDove
  6. baanders

baanders New Member

You may have that. Orthotics and steroid shots are 1st treatment for that.

Make sure you have the correct diagnosis first.

Your compounding pharmacist can make a jar of Ketamine in PLO gel to rub into the painful area. Ketamine needs a dr's Rx. Ben Gay also helps.

Best wishes

7. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Please do not add steroids to a quinolone toxicity...If you think you are bad now, you aint seen nothing...

Look at my profile pic, this is months after and I fell onto the floor cause my limbs wouldn't hold me and the pain was unbearable leaning on my left arm and left side...The combo did more damage than just levaquin would have done.

Be aware JB...

I hope you try the and likely no ill-effects unless you have an allergy to one or all of the oils...I am considered sensitive and I didn't have any problem...My husband took an oil remedy only 8 drops in 2 days and he thought he was going to die...He now knows what a 'herx' is all about and we are hopeful he is 'cured' of his problem.

Do you have a health food store nearby that sells the oils, preferably NOW brand? I wish you would try this soon...I know it will help you.

And if I need to remind you, you likely still have the Levaquin IN you and after 18 months it has likely made a comfortable home, not for you though...This crap needs to get out...Saunas, sweating, pool therapy (although the chlorine is not great for us) Infrared may help too...

Pool therapy helped me...90 degree water and just float around til you can move your limbs at your pace...It hurt so much in the beginning but then I realized that moving and sweating was one of the tricks to getting the toxins out, I had to bear with the pain...

None of this is going to be easy but I promise you the payback is worth it...Try something today...Look forward to tomorrow..It helps.
  8. nightngale

nightngale New Member

My neruo told me to take Alpha Lipoic Acid, I think I spelled it wrong, it can be gotten over the counter or health food stores, he works with regular meds and homeopathic stuff. My brain is not functioning now, but I will try to get the right spelling for is in pill form, 600 mg a day is what he told me to take. ok thats the right spelling, I looked it up.
  9. tansy

tansy New Member

Jacob Teitelbaum advises on both pharmaceutical and non pharmaceutical remedies for neuropathic pain. See

Deficiencies can contribute to neuropathic pain as Teitelbaum points out. I used the bioactive form of B6 (P5P) prior and after surgery for a compressed and damaged nerve; my surgeon and neurologist were impressed by the level of healing given how the odds were stacked up against me.

I also take methyl B12 but see warnings about mercury from amalgams etc before using this bioactive form of B12.

Hi Mamadove

Thanks for that aromatherapy remedy; I will be trying that out now. I few weeks ago I inadvertantly set recovery from surgery back and anything that helps the resuting pain and which has few, if any, unwanted side effects is welcome just now.

Chilli based creams can help with specific areas of neuropathic pain; Rafiki has posted about the potential efficacy of this treatment on various posts here.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2008]