Natural serotonin boosters??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Apr 18, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Read that L-tryptophane & 5HTP are good for this, but curious if there are any other options.

Thanks & LIGHT**********carole
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Carole,
    "the shake", which you can find by typing that in the search, is high in omega's. I use 5htp and a diet high in omega's. I know that it makes a big difference.

Take care
    K.
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Have you had any stomach upsets from 5-HTP? And what dose do you take?

I've read that can be a side effect, and I have gastritis, so leary.

Thanks & LIGHT************carole
  4. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Carole,
    I take 100mg. at nite. It helps settle me down at nite and really has helped my mood all day long. You have to see what dose works good for you. I'd start at 50mg. I found that I don't tolerate more than 100mg. Other's take much larger doses. I think your body will let you know how much is good.

I haven't had any bad side effects. No upset stomach. Just if I take to much, I all over don't feel good. The 100mg for me has really helped me to have control over my emotions. I just feel calmer and happier.

Of course there will be people who can't take it at all. You should be able to type 5htp in the search and get tons of info on it.

Hope this helps.
    Take care,
    K.
  5. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I like 5HTP, but I can only take it after a full meal in the evening so I won't get the nausea.

It's an amino acid, simply a version of Tryptophan, that stimulates your brain to make more seratonin.

Other seratonin-stimulating foods that I like are yogurt, baked potato with cheese, turkey, sesame seeds, whole grains.

My favourite "contentment" meal is a turkey & cheese sandwich on a whole grain sesame-topped bun, with lots of baby lettuce & tomato on it.

mmmmmmm with a nice feeling of well-being afterward.

Eat well :)

Roseblossom