natural supplements for anxiety

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by georgie0826, Jun 30, 2008.

1. georgie0826

georgie0826 New Member

Are there any natural remedies for anxiety? I would like to cut back on taking klonzapan.
  2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Anxiety can be caused by an imbalance of GABA/Glutamate - GABA is calming and Glutamate is stimulating. Our brains need glutamate to work but an excess causes early neuron death.

You could try GABA or calming products that contain GABA such as GABA Calm by Source Naturals. Also, valerian root, holy basil, rhodiola.

Klonipin (clonazepam) supposedly helps to reduce gluamate and increase GABA which is why it helps with anxiety. It stops the central nervous system over-activation.

Dr. James Baraniuk at Georgetown University and Dr. Cheney both highly recommend it for reversing the CNS over-activation.

Dr. Cheney feels that it is addictive only if your brain needs it. THen it will be hard to get off. If you don't need it, his theory is that you won't have trouble getting off.

Dr. Baraniuk's dose was .5 mg at night or .5 mg twice a day. I plan on starting .5 mg at night.

When you cut back or get off, please try to go slowly. You could increase GABA supplements as you get off. Some people crush the tablets then divide them in order to get smaller and smaller amounts.

Hope this was helpful, I'm rambling. I really need to go to bed.

3. Jayna

Jayna New Member

I take them in my tea every evening to help me unwind for sleep, and as capsules during times of stress.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I find valerian gives me horrible nightmares. I take a homeopathic remedy called Aconite each night.

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

l-theanine is an amino acid which helps your brain produce GABA. I think it is more effective than taking GABA itself, crosses the blood-brain barrier and is easier to absorb.

It's calming but non-sedating, helps the brain produce alpha waves. I gave some to my 6'4" brother awhile ago, two 100 mg. capsules, and he felt it, and liked it. It's one of the supplements I take before bed.

However, you can take it during the day also. google l-theanine and you'll find out a lot of info.

6. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

Detoxified Iodine or Prolamine by Standard Process.

There's also another one that has been getting good reviews. Magnascent dot com.

Iodine basically makes you a more confident person as a whole.

Good luck
  7. angelinpain

angelinpain New Member

There is a natural supplement called "calm". It is a calcium and magnesium suplement. The key is it is not in pill form it is mixed with water and the combination has an immediate calming affect...prevents spasms as they are coming on and relieves a search under "peter gilliam's calm" and you will find a variety of sites that sell it..please try it works so well!!!
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

i know the name sounds strange but phenibut is a great supplement for sleep and muscle spasms, feels like a benzo. Taked a while to get the right dose for you, i have used up to 3-4grams, you build tolerance quick so only use 2x week.good luck
  9. dinda

dinda New Member

I found this site searching for natural anxiety supplements. I haven't been able to find it in any stores. I've seriously been thinking about ordering some because you can take it with prozac and that's what my rheumy told me to continue taking for my fibro. Maybe someone here has heard of it.
  10. georgie0826

georgie0826 New Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I got some GABA today. I'll see how that works.