Naturopath helpful?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Jul 2, 2010.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Have any of you found a naturopath helpful in dealing with CFS? MsE
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I've gone to several Naturopaths and none of them have been helpful. Once they hear the name CFS they automatically assume that you have a candida problem and want to treat that.
  3. MsE

MsE New Member

I don't think we have any physicians who could be termed "integrative" in our little town. I trust that by that term you mean a doctor who is willing to look at alternative medicine as well as traditional western medicine. If I'm wrong, let me know.
  4. bakeman

bakeman New Member

5. MsE

MsE New Member

Hmmm. Doesn't sound promising. I just can't believe there isn't something out there that would give me back some of my energy. The years are slipping away, and I have things I want to do but not enough energy to do them. So, I thought possibly a naturopath could help. Thanks for writing.
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

I'll check out the adrenal dysfunction thread.
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I feel exactly the same way, MsE. I have had CFS for just under 20 years now and never believed that I would be sick for this long. When my doctor originally told me that I would have CFS for six months to two years, I just laughed and thought there was no way. I really thought in a few more weeks I would feel better. The sad truth is that there is no cure for CFS at the present time.
  8. MsE

MsE New Member

To make matters worse, I just ran into a doctor at a lab who said "There is no such thing as CFS." Then he went on to say the episode at (can't remember the name of the town) in Nevada or Utah disproved it. Of course that made all the old concerns come back: "If not CFS, what?" "Am I nuts?" All the usual. My mind tells me he's nuts, but...I guess I still want a miracle.

I have a big and wonderful trip planned in September and absolutely do NOT want to mess up!
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

They can't cure CFS, but can help with many of its manifestations.

Digestive problems are pretty huge for people with CFS and naturopaths can help straighten this out. They should check your diet very thoroughly, investigate whether you need digestive enzymes or HCL, perhaps check for candida, look for food allergies, etc.

They can look at all your supplements, see if you're on the right track.

They also can look at thyroid and adrenal problems.

They can check cortisol levels which are often skewed and help get them straightened out (which can help with sleep)

They can do a lot. They weren't able to solve the underlying mitochondrial dysfunction for me, but they looked at a lot more things than most regular docs do. I think it's well worth looking into -

10. MsE

MsE New Member

Okay. It looks like it would be worth my time to find a naturopath my insurance will cover. I tried to email one of the two listed, and the email bounced back as undeliverable. So I'll try the other name. Maybe I'll get lucky.

And, after I post this note, I'll check Shelbo's post on the Alternative Board. Thanks for the suggestions.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Maybe you will have more luck living in the US. Here in BC the NDs can't order lab work so we have to rely on any testing through our MDs. One ND had my doctor check my thyroid, however, as usual the test was for TSH only and came back in the "normal" range.
  12. MsE

MsE New Member

Jaminhealth, some naturopaths take either Medicare or (and I'm sure of this) at least the supplemental insurance. I know my supplemental insurance does list a couple of naturopaths as providers in our county. At least, they did at the time they sent out the last book.
  13. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I would say what Mary said, just adding that they can test nutritional deficiencies and imbalances so you know what to take, and also help with killing viruses that you may have.
  14. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Many medical practitioners are willing to be ... reasonable ... in order to attract/retain business.

In our town, there are some NDs who "work with" you & others that are more directive, without taking into account patient inclination.

I worked with an ND several yrs. back who brought up the Candida for my fatigue, right off the bat. I told him that I wasn't sold on the whole Candida theory & wanted to investigate a few other directions.

This ND was helpful in pinpointing some food intolerances & also in helping me to balance a number of hormones. However, we did lock horns over chelation issues -- I refused to do a DMPS challenge, & he refused to rx sodium alginate USP for me (very gentle chelator; used in ice creams & salad dressings) without the challenge.

And then we switched insurance to a plan with no ND coverage.

Some NDs are really great with Lyme issues, but not all. Lyme is a specialty in itself.

Good luck.

15. MsE

MsE New Member

Thanks again for all the information. I understand there is no cure for CFS at the present time, but I still think there has to be a way to make living with it easier. So--I will find a naturopath and give that a whirl. And thanks for the warning that it can be a time consuming process. Forewarned makes it easier. Thanks, all of you. MsE