Naturopathic Physician

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mosherpit, Nov 1, 2006.

1. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

A friend of mine works at a Wellness Center in Cambridge MA and sent me the following article written by a Naturopathic Physician in her office. Very infomative, and I hope to be able to set up an appointment with him in the near future.

Fibromyalgia Syndrome: A Naturopathic Approach
    Michael Scott, ND MSA LAc

Fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is a chronic, often disabling medical condition, characterized by widespread body pain and extreme fatigue. FMS indicates pain, without evidence of inflammation, in fibrous tissues, muscles, tendons and ligaments. FMS is defined as a syndrome, and therefore, is almost always accompanied by many other problems such as irritable bowel, headaches, sleep disorder and cognitive impairments. Conditions that tend to fall into the same category as FMS are chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and myofascial pain syndrome (MPS).

People suffering from FMS experience wide spread musculoskeletal aching and stiffness as well as tenderness on palpation at characteristic “tender points”. Generalized pain (100% of patients with FMS) occurs throughout the body, aggravated by cold, humidity, stress, overuse and lack of sleep; stiffness (80%) that is worse in the morning and evening; fatigue (85%) and a global feeling of weakness and lack of energy, worse with activity, lack of sleep and psychosocial stress; sleep difficulty (65%) including non-restorative sleep, frequent awakening, light sleep, difficulty falling asleep; swollen feeling, numbness and tingling (50%) affecting the extremities predominantly with no objective evidence of edema or sensory deficit.

The management of FMS has begun to push the boundaries of conventional treatment. And as the field of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) grows, Naturopathic physicians are playing an ever expanding role for they place an emphasis on collaboration between physician and patient to create an individualized treatment plan that is consistent with the patient’s circumstances. A Naturopathic approach such as this is opening the doors for increased use of non-pharmacologic medicine and because of the continuous and unremitting nature of this condition, many patients are seeking care that combines a variety of treatment modalities, dulling the lines between conventional and complementary.

Underlying the Naturopathic approach is the concept of functional medicine pioneered by the nutritional biochemist Jeffrey Bland, PhD. Functional medicine places the focus of treatment not exclusively on the isolated entity called disease or its symptoms, but rather, on the specifics of the functional mechanisms that promote disease in the individual patient. In other words, in order to treat FMS, one must understand the multifactorial nature of this syndrome and address it in the same multifaceted way. Thus, Naturopathic physicians seek to re-establish the basis for health through a variety of therapeutic modalities (see Table below).

A cornerstone of the Naturopathic approach in treating FMS is to assist patients in altering their belief that their problems are unmanageable and beyond their control by informing and educating patients about their condition. Thereby, helping patients move from a passive to an active role in responding to pain, emotion and the environment. Ultimately, Naturopathic physicians seek to impart patient self-empowerment in the development and execution of effective treatments for the syndrome known as fibromyalgia.

Table

Re-establishing the basis for health through Naturopathic Medicine
    1. Remove/Mitigate Environmental Stresses and Lifestyle Modification:
    • Therapeutic diet and wholefoods nutrition is the cornerstone to a naturopathic approach to the treatment of FMS. It is necessary to insure adequate nutritional requirements are met, while maintaining proper digestion and absorption - functioning of the digestive tract.
    • Optimization of gastrointestinal function by focusing on the elimination of food allergies, gut dysbiosis, candida-related syndrome, maintaining adequate levels of digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid and treating intestinal permeability.
    • Address mental/emotional stressors and issues.
    • Ensure optimally functioning detoxification processes in the body while minimizing environmental toxins from air and water pollution and heavy metal toxicity using detoxification protocols, algae and mud body wraps and infrared saunas.
    • Treatment for viral infections, endocrine disorders and any concurrent inflammatory disease states.
    • Restoration of healthy sleep.
    2. Support and tonify weakened immune, digestive and endocrine system function:
    • Botanical medicine, homeopathy, specific nutritional therapy through the use of supplemental vitamins, minerals and cofactor nutrients, amino acids and probiotics.
    3. Correct structural integrity and reduce the disability and distress caused by chronic pain:
    • Acupuncture.
    • Bodywork such as massage and craniosacral therapy.
    • Hydrotherapy such as balneotherapy (therapeutic baths).
    4. Improve overall fitness level, flexibility and functional ability:
    • Aerobic exercise.
    • Resistance training.
    • Yoga.
    5. Positively altering one’s coping behaviors as well as personal beliefs about one’s health through Cognitive-behavioral – Mind/Body medicine:
    • Relaxation therapy.
    • Meditation.
    • Biofeedback.
    • Cognitive restructuring.
    • Counseling.

Michael Scott, ND MSA LAc is a licensed Naturopathic physician and Acupuncturist practicing with WELLSPACE in Cambridge, MA.
    Please visit www.wellspace.com

For more information about Naturopathic Medicine please visit www.naturopathic.org
    For more information about Acupuncture please visit www.nccaom.org

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I personally believe a Dr. who is not afraid to practice outside the box is where our greatest hope lies. Naturopathic Physicians, Integrated Medicine, Progressive Medicine, Anti-Aging Medicine, have all provided me with more knowledge, education, effective treatments than any mainstream doctor I have ever seen. And I have seen MANY.

Give it a try.
  3. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I am currently going to a Naturopath. She is wonderful. Has me on a Yeast Elimination diet as well as a yeast medication. Also, she does Kinisolgy and tests all vitamins or minerals or herbs that she is prescribing, to see I can tolerate them. Anybody taking vitamins and herbs should so a Naturopath Dr., to make sure they are using them correctly. Sometimes, it takes a couple of other vitamins to help absorb everything.

Since the yeast have been dying off, I have been feeling more energetic and have less pain. So hopefully this will continue as I am only 1/2 way through the regime. Homopathic medicine believes that like kills like, so I am actually taking in yeast, starting in a very small amount and working up. This causes the body to jump into action and fight the intruder that it sees the yeast (new) that I am ingesting.

No sugar, no starches, and if it tastes good, I can't have it. Just sticking to a portion of meat, veggies, salad and 1 slice of yeast free bread at each meal. Boring, but worth the effort.
  4. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

elliespad and happycanuk for your input. Unfortunately insurance does not cover this dr. but my friend can get me her discount, so after I save a few penny's I will definitely give him a try.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Get this. My insurance does not cover the Naturopath I used to see here in New York, because he was not licensed in New York, because New York DOES NOT license Naturopaths. If I go to your Naturopath in Mass, and he is licensed there, then MY insurance will cover it, no problem. Amazing huh?
  6. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

Insurance is amazing isn't it? Maybe I should go to NY to see a dr. and then my insurance would cover it? crazy, but if it helps the aches and pains it is well worth it!!