nausea from 5htp anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twitcher, Jun 26, 2006.

1. twitcher

twitcher New Member

I've been taking it a few days and have been very nauseated. Anyone have this or is it just me? I'm taking 100mg.
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I tried to increase mine from 50mg to 100 mg & had an upset stomach. Doing fine on 50mg after dinner.

LIGHT************carole
  3. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

the 5htp getting converted to seratonin in the intestine rather than in the brain. If you still getting nausea, you might want to try L-tryptophan instead (that's what I use). It's more natural since that's what the body uses to make seratonin and won't give you an upset stomach.

I take 750mg L-tryptophan about 2 hours before bed and then have a piece of toast (or other carb food) before going to bed to help with absorption into the brain.

good luck.
  4. twitcher

twitcher New Member

and not the intestine?
  5. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I don't use 5htp, I use tryptophan...it might have something to do with food...You should look it up on the web, I think you either have to take it on any empty stomach or with food...not sure which one...sorry.
  6. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Sorry you're feeling that nausea, twitcher! You need to take your 5HTP right after your evening meal.

If you can stand the ick factor, open the capsule and pour it under your tongue so it'll get absorbed sublingually.
    (I do this and scowl in disgust the whole time I'm waiting for it to get absorbed :) But I think it's best to absorb amino acids sublingually.

Here's some more info about 5HTP & L-tryptophan:

5HTP(5-hydroxy L-tryptophan) is a naturally occurring metabolite of the amino acid L-tryptophan.

An L-tryptophan capsule has to metabolize/convert itself to 5HTP in your body.

Taking a 5HTP capsule enables its L-tryptophan to pass through the blood brain barrier into the brain more easily & quickly than taking a capsule of the simple amino acid L-tryptophan.

5HTP is an efficient increaser of brain serotonin. The serotonin produced is the precursor for our pineal gland’s production of melatonin, which makes you sleep.

5HTP has been shown to increase brain dopamine (DA) and noradrenaline (NA) activity. These are two key mood and alertness regulating neurotransmitters.

When Tyrosine, the amino-acid which is a precursor for brain DA/NA is given along with 5HTP, the effect is even more powerful.

Further, when 5HTP capsules have been compared to L-tryptophan capsules in human studies, 5HTP has been a more successful antidepressant, even when the tryptophan dosage used is 10 to 15 times higher than the 5HTP dosage.

5HTP is not used to make proteins in the body, while tryptophan is - with 5HTP there isn’t competition by cells outside the brain.

L-tryptophan can be broken down in the liver by pyrrolase, an enzyme that converts tryptophan to kynurenine and its metabolites, which can be mildly liver toxic at high levels. (5HTP is NOT metabolized through this pathway.)

Because of this, L-tryptophan supplementation especially in chronically stressed people should be limited to 1 gram per day or less, because the stress hormone cortisol activates pyrrolase.

Dosage of 5HTP should be limited to 100mg - 200mg.

Studies suggests that 5HTP is especially effective for those suffering an anxious, agitated, aggressive, irritable depression.

5HTP may also be helpful in some cases of compulsive carbohydrate overeating, alcohol addiction and compulsive gambling (specific forms of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), as well as for insomnia.

CAUTION: Research shows that both 5HTP and L-tryptophan increase the activity of MAO inhibitor drugs, tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin inhibitor (SSRI) drugs, such as Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft. Therefore tryptophan and 5HTP, should only be used by anyone taking any of these drugs ONLY with their prescribing physician’s consent and supervision.

ALL INFORMATION IS EDUCATIONAL AND SHOULD NOT REPLACE THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN.

7. twitcher

twitcher New Member

very much for the replies. Very good information.

Twitcher
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

is it safe to take with Effexor?
  9. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

But I take a low dose, 50mg, of 5HTP every other day, to help me wean off Effexor.

I'm down to 37.5mg of Effexor, taking a tiny bit less each day. Ughhh...

Roseblossom
  10. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I am weaning off Effexor too, tonight I go to 150mg. At what dosage did you start the 5htp?
  11. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

bumping for rosebloom