NBC News Nov. 2 CFS Segment (Online If You Missed It)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mezombie, Nov 1, 2006.

1. mezombie

mezombie Member

If you missed the show, you can see it online at
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/ after 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific.

If you have any comments on the segment after watching it, you can address them to correspondent Bob Bazell at Health@MSNBC.com.

This is a big week for CFS awareness. Please see the CFIDS Association's e-mail bulletin, posted on several threads (including "Read: Important CFS Information" by Webintrig) over the past couple of days for more information. To summarize: The CAA and CDC are jointly hosting a big press briefing Friday morning (11/3/06). Coverage of CFS should follow in newspapers, TV, radio and other media over the weekend and thereafter.[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2006]
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

...in a few minutes where I live.
  3. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

thanks for posting this. will try the link.

just wanted to add that i am sorry i did not reply to you yet, i am in constant misery in the moment, head aches , feeling of nausea all the time and unable to do any thing more than basically tv and daily musts of caring for my son.

lets meet at the chat room later, when i am able to think again.

take care karina
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

I totally understand. I'm trying to limit my time on the computer as well.
  5. mezombie

mezombie Member

Let's see what kind of media coverage we're getting!
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I think it was well-presented. What about the rest of you?

Delayed reaction: Where and what is this "help" they say is now available that the lady from the CDC mentioned??

[This Message was Edited on 11/02/2006]
  7. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

it was a bit lame, they didn't mention that actual evidence that has turned up, and of course the called it "chronic fatigue'. Otherwise it was fairly positive.
  8. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

My family watched it with me...talked to the kids about it afterword...

The PSA made me cry...with her family going in fast motion, while she slowly rises from the bed...that is my life.

My husband gave me a hug...He said it's a start...it helps that the CDC is recognizing it.

9. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

It was a fairly short segment so I guess they couldn't get into too much detail. They kept emphasizing that it was real and that part of the campaign was targetting doctors to tell them that it's real! They mentioned that there are 1 million Americans affected, 4x as many women.
    I think it was a good start.

10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I think they did a nice job. I didn't know it was going to be on, but happened to catch it. For those who missed it, they had on Robert Bezell (spelling?) who is the chief medical correspondent for NBC reporting on CFS.

They showcased a woman who has had CFS for 12 years. She says she used to be able to work and now so exhausted that she often can't get out of bed all day. A good day for her is being able to get up out of bed and to walk/take care of her dog.

Bezell discussed how doctors used to not believe that the illness existed and that they thought patients were making it up (gee, sound familiar anyone?). However, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) now recognizes it as a real illness, saying that about 1 million people have it and 4 times as many women as men. The woman they interviewed also said that in the past, her docs didn't believe her symptoms were real as well and that friends/family couldn't understand either.

They also stated that it can be very isolating because the illness is rather misunderstood. Finally, they mentioned that there was no cure in sight. Jeez! A bit depressing! (I hope I gave an accurate description of the segment. I'm not a human tape recorder, but I do have a pretty decent memory... :) )

However I think we can try to see things more positively as a group here because we share so much wonderful information with each other, and we know that it's possible to get better, even if it's in small increments.

Warm hugs to all, Erika
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2006]
  11. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I'm confused about which program -- is this the national news at 6:30?

Thank you. I don't want to miss it!!
  12. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I agree with zenouchy. It gave good info, but it was depressing. Yes, I agree it is like a ton of bricks and the worst flu.

She had it for 12 years! Nothing was said to give the person hope. It mentioned symptoms can be treated, but there is no cure.

Maybe, they have to paint the worst picture so they can get funding and attention. HIV patients are living years now with medicine, and living active lives (ex. Magic Johnson.) I wish there were hope for us!

I have mixed emotions about the report.

13. Prunella

Prunella New Member

...and I'm crying. Finally, some recognition. They could have said more, but what a great start! This helps after all those rude comments from doctors, family, friends and all. My CFS has greatly improved over time due only to things I figured out for myself and help from books and the internet and especially all the kind people on this board! Right now I have a bad cold which brings on a major CFS flare, so it helped to see this tonite on TV.

My husband was impressed to see this on the news and said he hopes that all those people who doubted me saw this on the news tonite. That was nice of him. I didn't tell too many people about this being on the news in cases they said something negative about CFS, but they didn't. Those who haven't seen it yet should call everyone they know to watch it. We are in CST. Some of you can still see it.
  14. mezombie

mezombie Member

Zenouchy, thanks for the description. Louisek, yes, this was on the national news. Again, to see the whole segment online, go to:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/ after 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific.

If you have any comments on the segment after watching it, you can address them to: nightly@nbc.com.

I thought it was quite good. I did cringe when I saw the "Chronic Fatigue" title--what happened there??? I felt Jenny Spotila (a CFIDS Assoc. board member, by the way) presented the situation very well. I really could identify with everything she said, as I'm sure many here could. She looked "fine", was even shown moving around "normally", but made it very clear how debilitating this illness is. I live in a high-rise apartment building and many of my neighbors react to me exactly the way they have to Jenny. Hopefully, they saw this and I'll get a little more respect!

I'm sure there will be more coverage, and hopefully more actual "news" (like the CDC's research) after the press briefing scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Thanks to all for watching, and remember, you can provide feedback to the producers of NBC Nightly News by sending an email to nightly@nbc.com. Sometimes Brian Williams even reads the emails on the broadcast!
  15. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I kept yelling at the TV screen "syndrome, it's chronic fatigue SYNDROME" Oh Well. To me they made it sound like it was just fatigue, but major fatigue. I wish they had described more of the symptoms! They didn't mention any neurological symptoms at all. Or immune systems issues, the muscles aches, etc.

Oh well. I am glad that they did the segment and that they stressed that the CDC is telling the public it is a real illness. I shouldn;t complain too much.
  16. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

NBC nightly news has a short feature on a different health issue very often if not every evening. They featured CFS in this spot this evening. This is always very concise coverage, and I thought they did a good job for what it was, but wish someone would do a much longer in-depth full feature type program on this. You just can not tell the whole story in three minutes.
  17. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I wish the piece hadn't been so short and that they had gone into the latest research results etc. But it was definitely a good start. Good that it was on National news.

I told my boss about it but not sure if she watched. She said she may not be home but if she was she would watch. My parents saw it and I was on the phone with my mom when it was on.

Even after seeing that it doesn't get any easier to hear that people don't believe it is real. After it was over my mom said that it was good that it was on so that maybe people who doubt it will know it is real and that my cousin is one of those people.

I NEVER knew my cousin felt that way. I see her several times a year at holidays and such. That makes me so mad to find out she thinks it isn't real. My mom said she doesn't know if she still thinks that way but she did before. She wondered how one minute someone could be fine and the next they are sick and how they could be sick and not look sick.

I said I am NOT fine one minute and sick the next. I am sick ALL the time. Just because I don't look sick and am socializing and having fun with the family at holidays doesn't mean that I don't feel sick. GOSH heaven forbid I try to enjoy myself at holidays without being accused of faking my illness!

How can people think that way. It amazes me. Why on earth would I fake an illness like this! If it was her that was sick I wouldn't question her. I wouldn't think someone was faking.

Anyways sorry to rant....it was good that it was on TV even if it was short.

18. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I agree, I wish they would have said more but I thought it was good otherwise. I wish they would have mentioned some things coming out in research for one thing. I wish they would have called it Chronic Fatigue Immune Disfunction.

I am such a good mood after seeing this though. ALso had parent teacher conferences and both boys had excellent reports. So, I`m having a good nite! I hope you all are too.
  19. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

but I don't think they really said what it was.....even one of the background animations that looked like it had a list of symptoms, "Fatigue, tired, sleepy", nothing about any of the other array of symptoms we all go through.

I watched it, I'm glad to at least hear about chronic fatigue syndrome, but I was disappointed.
  20. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I will go online and watch it now. Maybe with this and the Oprah article we will get some understanding and help.

[ advertisement ]