nc2004 - FFC staph test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CANSADO, Nov 23, 2005.

1. CANSADO

CANSADO Member

Hi Pam,

Which form of staph did you test positive for? Was it staph aureus or MRSA? Was the test done by a nasal swab? Which scrips and/or supplements did FFC suggest? Thanks for your help.
  2. CANSADO

CANSADO Member

3. CANSADO

CANSADO Member

4. nc2004

nc2004 New Member

Hi cansado! Sorry it took so long to reply but I have family in for Thanksgiving.

I tested positive for staphylococcus aureus, by nasal swab. I am taking a tetracyclin--the name is minocycline (200 mg twice a day). Of course I also am taking the 30 pills a day in suppliments they recommend!

I don't know much about staph infections. Your questions sound like you know more than I do. Is aureus better or worse than MRSA? Is the treatment by FFC what you would expect?

Thanks in advance! Pam
  5. CANSADO

CANSADO Member

Hi Pam,
    The MRSA is methicillin-resistant staph aureus and is worse than staph aureus, as it is resistant to methicillin, a type of penicillin. It is common in hospitals and nursing homes. I know to get rid of it, 1 and sometimes 2 antibiotics are used(not sure which). One used sometimes is bactroban, an ointment that is applied inside the nose. It's good to see that the FFC looked at that. Staph aureus can cause skin problems. Thanks for the reply.