neck and shoulders

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momof3dancers, Dec 4, 2002.

1. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

Does anyone else have SEVERE pain in their neck and shoulder areas? I mean I hve pain all over but that I can deal w/ along w/ the being cold all the time.. (fingers, dupa, thighs and nose) all of that is more anoying than anything else but NOTHING seems to help the neck and shoulder areas...THey feel wound up tight like wehn you wring out a towl or wrap a rubber band around something...I have tried heat packs, cold packs, alternating them, a heating pad, massage.. hot hot hot showers.. which help while in the bath but the pain is back w/i 10 min after...I cant walk around all day with a hot pack or heating pad around my nek and shoulders! Does anyone have any other suggestions...BTW I am "newly" dx w/ FM and I do take Clebrex in the am and amitryplin in the pm.. i have taken other stuff along the lines of the celebrex.. but as the do cs said that I just a had a viral infection untill about6-7 weeks ago I have not had that many meds...I nknow that soe one was kind enough to suggest Flexeril.. but my doc really doesn't want me to take meds...not that i want to be on muscle relaxers or antidpressants or the like all of my life..I am only 33 but I am so sick to death of being in pain all of the time..I have 3 girls to chase after and stufI do not work anymore andI feel so usless to my family because i hurt all of the time...I know that my husband is SICK of hearing me ask for him to rub this or that body part...I have been complaining about pain in all of those areas on the diagram for atleast 10 yrs and remmber my former general practice doc remarking on "how curious that was" but her never did anyting.. no tests.. the same w/ the former chiroprator...so I stopped going untill the pain was so bad I couldn't even go up or down the stairs.. I must admit that it isn't that bad anymore.. but that darned neck and shoulder area.. it is DRIVING ME CRAZY.. I really must go now asI relaize that I am starting to ramble.. but I really must have needed to vent.... but if anyone has any suggestions on that neck/shoulder pain it would be GRATLY appreciated!!! before I forget does anyone else feel 100x worse now that it is COLD?
  2. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

Does anyone else have SEVERE pain in their neck and shoulder areas? I mean I hve pain all over but that I can deal w/ along w/ the being cold all the time.. (fingers, dupa, thighs and nose) all of that is more anoying than anything else but NOTHING seems to help the neck and shoulder areas...THey feel wound up tight like wehn you wring out a towl or wrap a rubber band around something...I have tried heat packs, cold packs, alternating them, a heating pad, massage.. hot hot hot showers.. which help while in the bath but the pain is back w/i 10 min after...I cant walk around all day with a hot pack or heating pad around my nek and shoulders! Does anyone have any other suggestions...BTW I am "newly" dx w/ FM and I do take Clebrex in the am and amitryplin in the pm.. i have taken other stuff along the lines of the celebrex.. but as the do cs said that I just a had a viral infection untill about6-7 weeks ago I have not had that many meds...I nknow that soe one was kind enough to suggest Flexeril.. but my doc really doesn't want me to take meds...not that i want to be on muscle relaxers or antidpressants or the like all of my life..I am only 33 but I am so sick to death of being in pain all of the time..I have 3 girls to chase after and stufI do not work anymore andI feel so usless to my family because i hurt all of the time...I know that my husband is SICK of hearing me ask for him to rub this or that body part...I have been complaining about pain in all of those areas on the diagram for atleast 10 yrs and remmber my former general practice doc remarking on "how curious that was" but her never did anyting.. no tests.. the same w/ the former chiroprator...so I stopped going untill the pain was so bad I couldn't even go up or down the stairs.. I must admit that it isn't that bad anymore.. but that darned neck and shoulder area.. it is DRIVING ME CRAZY.. I really must go now asI relaize that I am starting to ramble.. but I really must have needed to vent.... but if anyone has any suggestions on that neck/shoulder pain it would be GRATLY appreciated!!! before I forget does anyone else feel 100x worse now that it is COLD?
  3. kellym

kellym New Member

Neck, shoulders, and back are a real problem for me. I always thought it was from recurring whiplash (i've been in lots of car accidents). Maybe its that AND FM. Anyway, you sound like you're doing everything possible and everything I know what to do for it. I've just learned to live with the pain, but when its REALLY bad, I'll take something to knock myself out and hope its better when I wake up. I've heard though, that drinking more water might help flush out those toxins that build up into knots in the muscles. But, bringing ourselves to drink THAT much water...Oh, and I tried the epsolm salt/hydrogen peroxide bath that was mentioned on this board & had NO pain while I was in the tub. However, the pain came back when I got out, but that time in the tub was relieving. You might want to give that a try.
    And yes, I HATE the cold! It always makes me feel so much worse!
    Good luck,
    KellyM
  4. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

Thanks I guess it is just worse w/ the cold.. but living in Wi "were winter seems to last for ever" there really is nothing that can be done for the cold....maybe some day I will convince my dear hubby that moving to Ca is a good idea...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! That will be the day.. But.. I washoping that maybe someone out there knew of something that I did not.. it doeasn't hurt to ask... But thanks again
  5. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

for that info.. I will discuss this with my doc on my next visit which isn't till after the first of the yr. but I might try to get in sooner
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My neck and shoulders are by far the worst too. I was injured at C-6 & 7 and have DDD with a bone spur causing pain radiating down my left arm and through chest.
    Physical Therapy did wonders, but I do have to keep up with the exercises at least every other day at home, and I have to take Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM.
    If you are sure there is no injury and it is only Fibro, then the Phys. Ther. alone should do wonders. I went 3 times a week for 2 months on a script from my Rheumy so Ins. would pay 80%. Make sure the therapist knows about FMS.
    In fact, the exercises have made it possible for me to stop wearing my TMJ splint for the first time in 14 yrs.!
    Klutzo
  7. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

I will ask my doc about that when i see him...
  8. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

The neck, shoulders, upper back are my main killers! I live on a heating pad (and my heated mattress pad just arrived today! Yippee!). Just visited the rheumy again yesterday and said pretty much the same thing to her...I'm too young (if you call 40 young) to be popping pills just to have a life. Her response was: you have FMS. If you want to have a life, you're going to HAVE to. Hence, I'm on Trazadone for sleep (but also an antidepressant-one of the tricyclics, if I'm not mistaken). Zanaflex, (muscle relaxer), just started Bextra yesterday (anti-inflammatory)and Darvocet for daytime pain. When I'm desparate for sleep, vicodin is a sure cure (but I hate the hangover). I haven't had a life for 2 years, despite various combinations of drugs, but the doc insists that when we FIND the right combination, I will once again have a life. Good luck! I empathize, truly I do.
    Peace,
    Stormy
  9. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I too suffer with real BAD pain and the worst is the neck, shoulders and back. My neck xrays show it curved the wrong way ... dr says like permanent whiplash. I get such bad spasms sometimes that I have to have my hubby or daughters literally PUNCH my neck to help release the knots. I use loads of muscle rub, a hot rice pack, I try to bend my neck back to release the tightness when I can and I take Flexeril as needed. I also take Vicodin 3x a day. (6 max)
    I know the pain you are feeling and I wish i could offer a miracle cure but I do not have one. Hang in there.

Janine
  10. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

I guessI should just ask for more drugs when I see my doc next .. I just REALLY hate taking meds all the time I am too young to be pill poppin all day long and those darned muscle relaxers make me feel like lying in bed all day and just SLEEPING yes I know that they help the pain.. I usedto be in Nursing.. but had to give that up.. i kept getting injured...as i was working a sub acute unit.. and stuff .. tried working other floors and units.. even tried an office job.. but the pain is too bad sometimes that i was not making it to work that often.. and the stress along w/ that just made me more miserable.. so now i stay at home.. which has ment financal changes for my family.. but in general they are hapier having me at home .. (my office job had flex.. so i could do alot of work form home.. but that meant i pretty much worked round the clock as i was always the one on call .. it was a med/nurse staffing agencey.....) Anyway back to the whole med stuff.. I just dont like the way i feel when i have taken that stuff.. but i guess it is time to wake up to the reality of what my llife w/ FMS is .. I just remember how much I felt like I was living in a trance.. but i guess the reality of it is whith the pain i am kinda living in a fog anywy .. cause as i am sure that some of you feel this way 2.. the pain ets so bad that you cant think about anything else.. ... Oh well Like I said thnks to u all I dont know what i would do if I couldnt come here and vent.. at home,I always feel guilty when I complain.. or dinner is mac and chez or frozen pizza...like I am a bad mom.. my husband as much as I know that he loves me I just dont think tat he truly believes me when I say how much I hurt.. but I know that here alot of you go through all of that as well so it is Great to have all the support and the ability to vent all of the frustrations!!!!!
  11. kay

kay New Member

my worst area's also. My doctor got me an alpha stim 100, and I sware it i unbelieable how much better I am feeling. Look it up. I was also doing icy hot, heating pad, etc. not no more. I can even lift up my arms to the side of me with out them hurting. Also I use to limp around but my hip joints are soooooo much better. My hubby cant even believe it. I had never heard of one, until my doctor mentioned it wow!! Its way better then a tens machine. Hope you get tp feeling better. Its so nice not to have those awful headaches like I use to get also. I mean almost daily!! Good luck to you--Linda

12. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

dear Kay: how do we look up alpha stim l00

will you tell us please wtih cfids and fms andmostly bedridden i have trouble doign searches period

god bless paul Mark

paulstory@iolky.com

thank you
  13. twjen

twjen New Member

Exactly!! Cold came back and so did everythings else, including the worst of all neck and shoulder and shoulder blade pain. Constant aching, burning, sharp pains with movement, etc. Nothing that is worth the risk of side effects helps me. Intermittant rest sometimes helps, but sometimes even when resting it doesnt help. Not much help but your not alone. If you find something let us know.
    God Bless, JEn
  14. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

Hi and welcome to this board, I too have major neck and shoulder pain that radiates down my left arm and hand. I have post traumatic fibro from car accident and I definately have increased pain in the winter months. I have had numerous amounts of physio chiro massage they all help relieve temporary but not for long. I can't wait i will be going to chiro tomorrow. I haven't been in awhile and it helps take the pressure off my neck. I also get migraines now never used to. Good luck to you. Mom3
  15. teach6

teach6 New Member

My neck and shoulders are by far my worst areas. I take Ultram round the clock to help with the pain. I save the Flexeril for night, so I don't notice the drowsiness. I did have to cut back the dosage though when I was waking up feeling tired out. I also take Neurontin at night only for the same reason.

When I was your age I rarely took so much as a Tylenol. I think that came from having three pregnancies and also the time spent nursing my babies when I had to watch everything I took. When I was found to be hypothyroid I began taking Synthroid, and that was to be a lifelong medication. Now I try to read about what I'm taking, but I also am willing to do whatever is necessary to ease my pain.

A year ago I could barely turn my head and had to prop my arms up in order to drive. Turning my head is still somewhat painful, but I no longer use the pillows. I know I am a safer driver now than I was then.

Life is a matter of choices. In order to feel better and be able to function at any level at all I choose to take pain meds. I also use supplements, but they have not helped me nearly much as the meds.

Barbara

16. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

If you can afford it and can find a massage therapist who understands your diagnosis and what you're going thru it can be a Godsend. I have such a therapist but cannot afford to go to her. I have never been to a chiropractor but I have heard of many who have success doing that.

There are so many different therapies that will help one and not the other. Just knowing we are not alone can be a help in the middle of the night when you think you may not see the morning light. That's how I was the first 5 months of sickness. It was extreme and awful. I could barely get up to go to the bathroom then.

I have had one tell me you must exercise and you will be fine after about 2 years. Another will say you must go to this doctor or do that thing. It just depends on your own body and what you can afford to do. Having an invisible illness is twice as hard because you really have no outward owie to show your family and friends.

I have a friend who was diagnoed with Chronic Fatigue many, many years ago. I did not have a clue as to what she was suffering. She had to go to a doctor in Arizona as she could find no one in Washington to treat her. Well, I do understand now what she has gone thru all these years.

Hang in there.
  17. kay

kay New Member

I will write you later. I have a doctor appointment. this morning so I am just brosing the sight and drinking coffeee to try and wake up. Just type in ALPHA STIM 100 IN SEARCH AND IT WILL COME UP! Where do you live ? ou didn't fill out your bio! Linda