Neck Injuries ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kathy0727, Sep 13, 2006.

1. kathy0727

kathy0727 Guest

I was curious if any other FM people had suffered a neck injury in the past. Seems like I had talked to a few people who have FM and they all had previous neck injuries. I don't know if "whiplash" counts, but I had torn tendons in my neck after I was raped years ago (holding me off the floor by my neck, then attempted strangulation). I'm sure the experience alone, along with all the BS that last for years, didn't help me much. Just curious about it. Seems to me it could be a contributor to FM.
  2. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, as I'm sure that alone was very traumatic for you, and its not something you can overcome that easily.

I work in the field of psychology, and there are many things that can contribute to your situation, including physical problems of the neck, although I would assume that was from the rape itself. And it doesn't necessary mean Fibro, but it doesn't help bring it on either. I have the same problems with the neck but its a little different than yours, and need surgery on 4 of the disks next month. But also post traumatic stress is a big factor which you might also have, along with anxiety, depression or panic attacks. Stress plays a huge factor with Fibro while I'm finding out more and more, as I'm still new to all of it and was only diagnosed last year with it.

I know myself that alot of factors contributed to my Fibro, including an abusive upbringing, a severe car accident, post traumatic stress symdrome, stress from many other things in my life and anxiety and panic attacks. It can take years for it to show up, which was my case and one of the reasons I got into the profession in the first place, as to not have this happen to others like it did to me.

Have you talked to anyone about all of this and how long ago were you diagnosed with Fibro if you don't mind me asking? Sometimes speaking to a therapist could help you to understand what might have started the Fibro and the reasons behind it. That is one thing I also did to find out about how bad my stress was playing havoc on my system and why I was always in alot of pain years before the diagnosis.

I wish you all the best and God Bless you for coming out of such a bad situation and becoming a survivor!!
    Hugs,
    Shelby
  3. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

C5/c6. Had surgery on it 1997.
  4. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Kathy

I was in a severe car accident when I was 17. The car my boyfriend and I were in was hit behind the drivers seat and torn completely in half. The driver of the other car was drunk.

My head broke the windshield (cars only had lap belts in the 70's)and I had whiplash and mild concussion that was never treated.

My doctors believe this was the start of my FM though I wonder if it might have started even younger.

I am so sorry for you that your suffered this awful attack. I applaud your bravery in sharing your experience with us. I am sure there are others here who have had similar tramatic things happen to them and don't have anyone to share with.

gentle hugs Marion (Redwillow)