Neck MRI Sedation...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MAGIE, Nov 24, 2002.

1. MAGIE

MAGIE New Member

I WENT TO HAVE AN MRI OF MY NECK, SINCE A HAVE BEEN HAVING LOTS OF PAIN IN MY NECK AND SHOULDES FOR ALMOST A YEAR. I COULD BE JUST THE FIBRO, BUT THE DOCTOR WANTS TO BE SURE. I REQUESTED AN OPEN MRI, BECAUSE I SUFFER FROM PANIC ATTACKS IN SMALL PLACES OR IF SOMETHING IS RESTRICTING ME. WELL I TOOK SOME ANXIETY PILLS BEFORE I WENT, AND I THOUGH I WAS GOING TO DO WELL UNTIL THE NURSE HOOK THIS CLEAR DIVISE ON TOP OF MY NECK.I PANIC AND I COULD NOT HAVE IT DONE. THEY SCHEDULE ME TO BE SEDATED WITH VALIUM BEFORE THE TEST. HAS ANYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO IT AFTER SEDATION. I AM PANICKING JUST THINKING ABOUT HAVING THAT THIS IN MY NECK AND GOING IN THAT TUNNEL. WILL THE SEDATION WORK? I AM AFRAID I MAY PANIC AGAIN.
    THANK YOU.
    MAGIE
  2. MAGIE

MAGIE New Member

I WENT TO HAVE AN MRI OF MY NECK, SINCE A HAVE BEEN HAVING LOTS OF PAIN IN MY NECK AND SHOULDES FOR ALMOST A YEAR. I COULD BE JUST THE FIBRO, BUT THE DOCTOR WANTS TO BE SURE. I REQUESTED AN OPEN MRI, BECAUSE I SUFFER FROM PANIC ATTACKS IN SMALL PLACES OR IF SOMETHING IS RESTRICTING ME. WELL I TOOK SOME ANXIETY PILLS BEFORE I WENT, AND I THOUGH I WAS GOING TO DO WELL UNTIL THE NURSE HOOK THIS CLEAR DIVISE ON TOP OF MY NECK.I PANIC AND I COULD NOT HAVE IT DONE. THEY SCHEDULE ME TO BE SEDATED WITH VALIUM BEFORE THE TEST. HAS ANYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO IT AFTER SEDATION. I AM PANICKING JUST THINKING ABOUT HAVING THAT THIS IN MY NECK AND GOING IN THAT TUNNEL. WILL THE SEDATION WORK? I AM AFRAID I MAY PANIC AGAIN.
    THANK YOU.
    MAGIE
  3. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I had to have a neck MRI done too and I am claustrophobic

I tried the CLOSED MRI and freaked out! I tried the open MRI and somehow was able to get through it without drugs.
    Yes, the worst part is the thing they put over your neck.

I tried all kind of tricks - Praying, Saying "the Night Before Christmas" Singing to myself, picturing myself on the beach.

Good Luck -

4. JP

JP New Member

Hi Magie,

I have had 4 sets of MRI's now. I used valium and did okay. I go into the tube with the agreement that if I ask to be taken out, they will take me out. The techs are usually very good. The other thing that helps me is closing my eyes the entire time and try to focus on slow deep breathing. I also ask the techs to talk to me, like the next set and how many minutes, one more minute type of talk.

I wish you the best and keep breathing...jan
  5. CAgirl

CAgirl New Member

I have had two MRI's. Both times I took Klonopin for anxiety about an hour before my appointment. I talked to the person performing the test and told them about my anxiety. He agreed to pull me out if I started moving my feet. This made me feel better. Going in the tube was tough. I couldn't stand closing my eyes because then it was dark. I focused on the little lights overhead. I just let my mind wonder and thought about stupid stuff. When I would start to feel anxious I would let myself feel that and then I would think about how only half of my body was in the tube. My legs and feet were sticking out in the open. For some reason this made me feel better. I also had my head strapped down becasue they were doing an MRI for my TMJ, so I know the feeling you are talking about.
    I think the Valium will relax you enough so that you can have the MRI. Valium calms the nervous system down, so that your body is not over reacting to what is going on. I remember having Valium once when I was going to have surgury, and after I had it I wasn't worried at all about the surgury. I know it's not fun having to go in the tube, but most doctors are going to want to get an MRI so they can rule certain things out.
    Good Luck
    Laura
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

keep my eyes closed and use imagery to "put myself in another place." I could EASILY have panicked...I was beginning to, but I was too embarrassed to push that little button and ask to be taken out; so, I endured. The noises and the light bothered me and I was really cold. I thought it'd be like a tanning bed, but it wasn't. I could hardly breathe. I did not take my med. prior to having it. I was afraid (stupidly) that it would "relax" something that needed to "show up" on the test. This was dumb!!!! That's not how it works, so don't do that..... Believe me, it all showed up. It was due to these MRI results only, that I was taken out of work indefinitely a week ago, so endure the test any way you can. The doc put on my forms that I was 100% disabled from doing ANY type of work indefinitely unless there was surgical intervention, which I am not a good candidate for. SO, have it and take whatever you have to!
    Love,
    Kady