Neck/node pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Mar 19, 2010.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I quit taking my narcotic voluntarily in January. For the next 6 weeks, not only did I have pain in the usual areas, but in the lymph nodes of my neck for the first time, right under my jaw. It gave me headaches and tooth pain.

Anyway, after 6 weeks, I couldnt take it anymore and went back on my narcotics.

The narcotics did help with the pain at first, but now it isnt. I'm afraid I will have to go back on my usual high dose.

In addition to my usual pain and symptoms, NOW I also have a sore throat and these very, very tender, throbbing sore, neck lymph glands.

Does anyone else have this?
  2. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Before you come to the possible conclusion that the new pain if relatedto stopping the narcotics, I would check with your doctor. Maybe I misread what you were saying, so if you didn't mean that you thought the new pain is because you stopped the pain meds, forgive me!

I've never had anything like this before.

I wonder if perhaps there is something different going on, the pain meds you were taking before masked any pain you mght have been having.

Just a thought.
  3. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

You did misunderstand me, but that is okay.

I dont think the pain is related to stopping the narcotics.

I thought with chronic fatigue syndrome, neck/lymph node tenderness/soreness was a symptom. I guess that is what I was asking.

I just noticed it AFTER I discontinued the narcotics. Maybe it was masked?

Sometimes I think this disease is progressive...only because it seems once I get used to the pain being in one area, it progresses stronger in another...
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2010]
  4. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I agree with you that just as it seems you're "getting used to" pain in one area, another one pops up. Do you think that's our body's way of helping us to deal with just one thing at a time? Although, if you're like me, it doesn't always work like that.

And yeah, it may have been masked by the pain meds. I guess I've been lucky that I've never had the neck symptoms - except that I have degenerative arthritis in many parts of my body, including my neck. Whenever I look to the left and then look back to the front, my neck snaps and cracks! Sounds like rice krispies!

Hope you can find out what it is.
  5. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I will never be able to eat rice krispies again - hahahaha - that was funny HeavenlyRN! Gave me a good laugh - I needed it!

Come to think of it - my neice had strep throat just after Christmas. Do you think it is possible I've had strep throat since then and since I thought it was FM, never got it treated, it is still there?

Just a thought....My neck hurts ALOT, ALOT, ALOT more than my throat. In addition to the narcotics, I rub Ben Gay on it several times a day.

I almost wish I could go to the dentist and get a big old shot of novocaine!!![This Message was Edited on 03/19/2010]
  6. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I suppose that it could be strep throat, but it could also be mononucleosis (the swollen glands) or something like that. I think it wouldbe a good idea to find out what is going on to cause the pain - before just treating the pain itself.

Yeah, sorry about the Rice Krispies thing!! It was the only thing I could think of to describe the noise! You may have to switch to Cheerios now!

7. krock

krock Member

Ive had fibro and cfs for about3 years, but the swollen lymph nodes started last fall. I have had a fever and swollen lymph nodes every day for the past 5 months. My doctor cant figure out why - negative for mono and other tests.
  8. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

YES!!! I have this pain, too....i have had it the entire time I have had fibro....when my pain meds start to wear off or, I have overdone things, i can feel my lymph nodes swelling my neck and under my armpits, that is...and it hurts....

they feel like they are bulging....and are very tender...

i didn't know i had lymph nodes in my armpits and neck until I had mono ....before I got the fibro...

i had so many of the "triggers" in the years before I got sick...mono, car accident, major surgery, death of my friend's 3 yr old...ah...can't think of any others right now but they all happened in about two years!

9. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

Yes, I also have chronically tender and swollen neck glands, under the jaw and so on. I am a diagnosed Fibromyalgia patient.

I had a terrible time with my teeth, before I had them all removed [dentures are fine, ty]. I allways thought the teeth pains were related to infection somehow, but there is also the Trigeminal Neuralgia ["TN"] issue.

TN is very painfull, usually at the teeth and face areas. It is a problem with the nerves, they think... but they don't seem to know for sure.

How are your teeth??
  10. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Shari1677,

I've had swollen lymph nodes since I first got sick in 2004. It came with the CFS. I had a low grade fever for over a year too. My Endo doc had me scheduled to remove the lymph node to check for cancer... No cancer was found. Since then, these symptoms come back with the flares.

My voice sounds like I went out last night to a loud club and smoke/drank too much! As much as I wish that were true, it isn't. :)

11. loto

loto Member

I don't have CFS, but FM.

But I totally agree with you about the disease progressing! With my FM, it seems every 2 months or so a new thing goes crazy in my body. And, after all else fails, it's once again blamed on the Fibromyalgia. Everything that is wrong with me right now (except for the malignant melanoma I just got done dealing with) turns out to be FM related.

So, I don't know about your neck and lymph node pain, but I would go have your doctor check it all out first. But, if you're like me, it's gonna be related to the CFS.

I wish you well, and hope you get answers and relief very soon.

PS--does anyone else agree that FM and CFS are progressive?[This Message was Edited on 03/23/2010]