NECK Pain and shoulders ... OMG ...........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jan 12, 2007.

1. I think from the headaches I have been dealing with has gotten my neck and shoulders hurting really bad. I am hoping my dr. will call something in. I have been using hot showers and a moist heating pad but its not helping much. Any ideas?
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Perhaps you can go to a physical therapist and get a trigger point massage?
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Mini
  3. Slangx

Slangx New Member

You should see if your doc can feel a trigger point, and then shoot it with some medicine (I think mine is a combo of steroid and pain stuff). Injected directly into the spot, to make the trigger point ease off.

But with a trigger point, it's an actual SPOT you can feel. So if your pain is more widespread over your shoulders & neck, it might not be a trigger point, it might be bad muscle spasms instead.

Soma works best for me.

C.
  4. Aghllw

Aghllw New Member

Do you have any tingly/numb sensations in your arms or fingers? If so, you need to see someone. I have been treated for muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders for years. Until recently, I didn't realize that I had 4 herniations in my cervical spine, 2 of which are compressing the C5 and C6 nerve roots. I will need surgery to correct 2 of them, but since the other 2 above are bad, I need it on all 4. I see a surgeon on the 19th to discuss the options.

I use a heating pad at night and that helps me a lot. Too, like Prickles and everyone else here, I use a lot of muscle rubs. I have found that Biofreeze is the best, but it is a little more expensive and harder to find. I use Theragesic and it works really good! But, it reaks! I mean, you can clear an elevator when you have it on...but it helps!

As far as meds go, I use Oxycontin 20 mgs/2 times a day, Norco 10/325 2/times day if needed, Robaxin (very easy going mucsle relaxer that you can take during the day) Take 3/day of those. And, occasional Ambien CR to sleep, but am going to try to wean off of all before my surgery. I am going to give the cherry juice theory a try! Read Prickles post on it!! I will try anything for pain relief!! I am just afraid that if I do have surgery, I won't get any pain relief if I don't tapper off of the strong meds now.

Good luck and God Bless!
    Lisa
    [This Message was Edited on 01/12/2007]
  5. I did use the tennis ball against the wall. I have a tens machine, and wondered if it would help. I have it for my low back, but heck it should work on shoulders too? I am hoping the dr. calls me in something, but her witchy nurse god forbid she could do it this morning since I called late yesterday.
  6. jole

jole Member

I agree, this is my worst problem also, with the headaches. It is there constantly, to the point that some days it is hard to think, and on the verge of a migraine. I know it is from the muscle tension/spasms, which is one of the reasons I had to quit work.

Muscle relaxers do not work for me. I use a massage chair often, and the heat wraps that you buy on my neck/upper back seem to help also. My doc won't give me any pain med other than Ultram and it doesn't do much for this pain.

I also have the same pain/spasms in my thighs, but not on a near-daily basis like the neck/shoulders. If I don't have that pain I consider it a wonderful day!!! But do try the ThermaCare heat wraps and see if they help, okay?
  7. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

It was horrible! Lasted for around 10 months and just kept getting worse. Then it did the ultimate flair up and I thought I would go mentally insane from the pain. Luckily I got fixed (thru traction at physical therapy) and have been pain free for many months now. Please see my post(s) titled "what cured my neck and shoulder pain" for details. I hope it might help some of you.

It was so wonderful to have at least one of my CFS related problems fixed. God, if I could just fix my insomnia and tiredness problems then life would be groovy.

Bigmama2