Neck Pain & Newbies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Stormy214, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Hi all...this is my first stab at message-boarding, and tho I'm usually computer literate, I'm stumbling around a bit. But glad I finally got up the courage to click on the message board site (after not finding anyone in live chat). I suddenly do not feel so alone!! I saw another post on neck pain and was glad SO glad to know I was not alone in that arena. The only other people I know with FM seem to suffer more from leg pain, and while no part of me is safe from this DD, my neck, back and arms seem to bear the brunt of it! I read all the replies to the neck pain post, and have "all of the aboved" in terms of treatments etc. But if anyone hears of anything new, please please please let me know! I'm about at wits end. I'm so glad to have found this place, and hope that I will be able to offer someone some support and assistance, as well.
  2. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Hi all...this is my first stab at message-boarding, and tho I'm usually computer literate, I'm stumbling around a bit. But glad I finally got up the courage to click on the message board site (after not finding anyone in live chat). I suddenly do not feel so alone!! I saw another post on neck pain and was glad SO glad to know I was not alone in that arena. The only other people I know with FM seem to suffer more from leg pain, and while no part of me is safe from this DD, my neck, back and arms seem to bear the brunt of it! I read all the replies to the neck pain post, and have "all of the aboved" in terms of treatments etc. But if anyone hears of anything new, please please please let me know! I'm about at wits end. I'm so glad to have found this place, and hope that I will be able to offer someone some support and assistance, as well.
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi,
    Neck pain is quite common. Everyone has their own special solutions, but I will share mine. Can't hurt, might help. One of my favorite things to do when my neck is really bothering my is to run a hot bath with a couple cups of epsom salts. I run it just as hot as I can stand it, and as deep as my tub will allow. I then lay back in the tub until I can feel my muscles start to relax. When that happens, I press my neck against the back of the tub and sort of stretch my neck muscles. I then relax for a few seconds and do it again. I also use a heating pad daily. It helps keep the pain and muscle spasms from bothering me as much. I have a tube thing that goes in the microwave, but it is too heavy & I don't really like it. A bunch of people tie some rice in a tube sock. You just have to experiment to see what works for you. Good luck.
    Kathryn
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

Fellow neck pain sufferer here.....although I went for many months where it didn't bother me much, it's now one of my biggest complaints. I have several different pillows just for necks. Two are the roll-type, one is smaller in diameter than the other, and my favoriate one is made like one of those "egg crate" mattresses, and is shaped to fit the curvature of your cervical spine. That's the one I use the most. A neck pillow might help you. I ordered a pillow that goes between your knees to help keep my lower back in better alignment when I sleep, and the neck pillow was a bonus; I ended up ordering a set for 2 other family members and they both love it too.

Karen
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I get the neck pain also. I use the warm rice socks, and a rub called; Banalg, Hospital Strength. It is very strong, but it works wonders for the pain, anywhere. Not a cure, but relief.

Glad you decided to join us, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl