neck pain seems to be around carotid artery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by smokiebones, Feb 22, 2009.

1. smokiebones

smokiebones New Member

Last week my neck and ear began to hurt. At first I thought I was coming down with the cold my kids had because I thought I had a swollen gland on the left side of my neck. However, I never got any other symptoms of a common cold.

I have been able to narrow it downsince then and it is not my gland. Honestly it hurts when I push on my carotid artery and it feels harder than the one on the other side of my neck. I have some pain in my ear and in my bottom jaw (only above my artery). It also pulles which causes pain when I turn my head to the right.

I have looked into the symptoms of strokes, my vison is fine, no tingling or numbness. I have not changed any of my FM meds recently. I have dentures so I know it is not a tooth issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I would run right out to the doctor but I got laid off at the end of December and can't afford the whole COBRA payments so I do not have any medical insurance just RX.

Thanks
  2. daylight

daylight New Member

Sounds like inflammation . You may have an infection . I'd call a nurse hot line to be on the safe side. Just for peace of mind.

I get nerve swelling for months at time but i've got RA and chronic sinusitis/and bronchitis.
    trigeminal neuralgia is another possibility.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgia

Hope you feel better soon and do call a nurse hotline . Community hospitals often have nurses on call to answer question and free.

D.
  3. highupsidedown

highupsidedown New Member

Fibromyalgia creates a complex system of knots all around the body. These, when triggered by flare ups continue to rise in toxicity. If you are far along the the Fibro journey, there is a great chance that you have created trigger points in your SCM (Sternocleidomastoid). This is one muscle that connects your Sternum, Clavicle, and Mastoid Process. Kinda like an upside down Y. Now, you probably have a nice size trigger point in the belly of the muscle (anterior to your carotid artery) (!Actually the muscles is probably hard as a rock!) and you defiantly have one on your mastoid process (right below the ear), which can give a pulling sensation to your inner ear when flared up.

My recommendation would be to get a deep tissue, or trigger point therapy massage to work them out and to flush the toxicity back into your system, and hopefully urinate it back out. This process HURTS, but if you can find the right therapist, this will greatly reduce the tension in those areas.

You are not going to die. You can check my hypothesis by poking all around the bone, right below your ear. My only warning is if you poke too much, it could activate even more and this, too, will cause severe pain for the time being.

You can try strengthening the muscle by doing head stands against a wall. Make sure you are using effort in the neck and not just resting on it.

Good luck.
  4. daylight

daylight New Member

This is interesting . But I'd still advice calling a nurse because of the glandular swelling.
    It doesn't sound "life threatening" but possible and infection.
  5. smokiebones

smokiebones New Member

for your responses. I called the nurse at the hospital and she said to be on the safe side I need to come to the ER or go to my DR. I am going to my doctors tomorrow. I am scared, very scared!

6. daylight

daylight New Member

I am so glad to hear that you are getting checked out. Try not to worry most of the time these kind of problems aren't serious . But your in my prayers. Everything will be ok .
    (((((((Big Hugs))))))))))

D.