Neck pain should I go to doc?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FoggyDayz, Apr 15, 2006.

1. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

On Monday I woke up with a pain in my neck, it felt like muscle pain and hurt to turn my head to the left - pain shoots down my arm and up into my head. I have had this before and am assuming it's a tight muscle that is pinching a nerve and will just go away. Fast-forward to now, 5 days later and it is killing me, it's actually worse and preventing me from sleeping at all. Any movement huts. I have rubbed it and can feel a knot and it's VERY tender, I have tried a heating pad, the anti-inflamatories I take for arthritis aren't touching it, Tylenol doesn't do anything.

I'm not sure what else to do. Wondering if this is a FM thing or if I need to go see a doc and get some muscle relaxers or something.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for advice!
  2. Beckula

Beckula New Member

This has happened to me several times--I think it was a flare-up? But if you are unsure, you should see a doc.
  3. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

i think i have been spared the worst of the wrath of FM pain thus far. I have arthritis, i get the calf pains, and I have misc. pain, but rarely do i get pain that takes me down completely.

i am wondering if this is FM related though.

thanks again!
    foggy
  4. 1horse

1horse New Member

I have a massage and go to a chiropractor/...Otherwise if it is not better see your dr.
  5. skyeone

skyeone New Member

I used to get a lot of neck pain, but I now pretty much live on muscle relaxers. Also I got my doc to prescribe me a TENS machine. If I use a heating pad and then use the TENS my muscles in my neck and back relax a lot. The machine is not cheap unfortunately but it works great and it's portable, you just attach it as needed with tape, turn it on, stick the box for it in your pocket and away you go. The electrode impulses feel great.

Hope that helps,

Skye
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

foggydayz:
    I had a similar problem about a year ago. I called the doctor who told me to rest and he sent me an Rx in the mail.
    I got it filled, rested and it gave me relief.

nyrofan