Neck Problems and CFS/FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Spoonerpaws, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I was wondering how many of you have documented neck problems and CFS/FM??

I starting reading that CFS/FM patients usually have disc fusion and spinal canal narrowing in the neck.

I recently had a cervical MRI and sure enough I have cervical stenosis and disc fusion.

How many others of you have cervical problems???
  2. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I was wondering how many of you have documented neck problems and CFS/FM??

I starting reading that CFS/FM patients usually have disc fusion and spinal canal narrowing in the neck.

I recently had a cervical MRI and sure enough I have cervical stenosis and disc fusion.

How many others of you have cervical problems???
  3. pooky

pooky New Member

I have alot of neck pain. I have a buldged disk and artiritis. I have no idea how the disk got injured though. I also have alot of pain down my arm and into my shoulder. I can't tell you how many trigger point inj. I've had. They do help, but I can't find anyone to do them in the neck. I have to wear a posture bra type thing if I want any relief.If I don't wear it I get an extremely sharp pain down my arm. It pulls my shoulders back where they belong.

I think alot of us carry our stress in our shoulders and tend to look like turtles by the end of the day!

Well, I hope someday someone figures all of this out! My son said if he won a million dollars he'd pay someone to make me feel better. He wants his old mom back :0(

Hang in there!
    Pooky
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2002]
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

When first diag. w/FMS (about 8 yrs ago the docs began to narow my chronic complaints down), I had minimal LS stenosis and no nerve entrapment. No mention was made whatsoever about degenerative disc disease.

Six years ago when I began my struggle for SSDIB, an MRI of the LS region noted there now was spinal stenosis with minimal nerve entrapment.

Two years ago, after becoming destitute, I had an attorney now and an SSI claim was filed while the SSDIB sat in Virginia gathering dust. At that time I had developed randomized spinal stenosis from the cervical to the LS, with randomized nerve entrapment. I had also developed DDD.

After a long stint of not reading Dr. Devin's book, and others I decided to re-read them so I had a clear definition of what FMS/CPS et al. was and just what symptoms they carried, as I have now developed a case of diabetes which is really wrecking havoc!!

Well, to my relief, many symptoms I had corresponded with those detailed in Dr. Devins' book...now to learn to cope with yet more roadblocks. From the beginning I had to peel back layer after layer of ailments and fix those in order to feel like slaying more dragons. I have continued to do that; getting one condition under control at a time so that I would stay centered on my road to as much wellness as possible. Thusfar it has worked.

I do not have an answer as to the question of does spinal stenosis et al directly link to FMS/CFIDS et al. Many of us have this problem. At this point it is the nerve entrapment for which I take pain medications. The nerve is nealthy but the pressure of thickening collagen surrounding the nerve is causing pressure and therefore the nerve is saying "ouch!". Collagen can thicken, it can harden, or it can liquify thereby leaving no support and the nerve or organ completely falls from its cavity.

I hope this helps some. Please let your doc have a try at this and find help for you. Simply using a cervical pillow and guarding my neck like it was fragile glass has kept my cervical fairly under control. CactusLil'
  5. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi Spoonerpaws,

My neck was injured aprox. 7 years ago, and yes, I now have cervical stenosis, as well as many other 'problems'. During my own FMS research, I came across statements such as: 23% of people with whiplash-type neck injuries develop fibro, while only 2% (or maybe it's 7% --??grrrrrr) of persons with leg injuries develop FMS. So, looks like even 'science' is becoming aware of the connection.

have a gentle day,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

I had a lateral whiplash in 1978 from a car accident, which eventually led to a diskectomy, 'bone spur-ectomy' and fusion at C (cervical vertebrae) 5,6,7. I also have DDD in my lumbar spine, also a result of that same accident. I believe I had FMS tendencies before that, but that the neck surgery done in 1995 really put me over the edge and into full blown FMS. I've had a number of surgeries, and I believe that each one contributed to the FMS coming out more strongly. The neck surgery was the most complicated and most difficult to recover from that I've had. No regrets, it was very necessary to 'clean up' those bones.

So was it the accident, the cervical spine problem or the surgery, or a combination of the events, that triggered the FMS? Hard to say.

Hope this is helpful!

Peace,
    Beth.
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Cervical MRI shows narrowing of canal,entrapment of nerve, and arthritis. Although only 40, Neurosurgeon says my neck looks like an 80 yr. old.
    My Doc that treats CFS/FM has referred me to Prolotherapy, which is having great success---and will inject the neck area. There is a list of Doctors and their locations. You can reach it by typing getprolo and its a dot com. (I hope I did that the correct way--don't want to get into trouble).
    Karen