Neck probs can cause CFS symptoms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrew111, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

Someone I used to work with told me his wife was suffering from fatigue, balance problems, light-headed, and brain fog. After a lot of failed treatments, an Ear Nose Throat doctor said a long-shot thing to try is physical therapy for the muscles that go from the neck and into the back of the head. After a month of physical therapy his wife was almost completely well.

And today, a doctor told me that in rare cases some compression of the spine in the neck area can cause fatigue, confusion, etc. But usually there are other symptoms too like hand numbness or other things.

Anyway, the two things I mentioned are different. But they both affect the neck area. I thought I'd put this up in case it helps someone. As for me, I've been getting neck pains, and if there is a chance this could be the cause, I'm going to see how I might follow up on this.
  2. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I wish this was me. I started my CFS with neck problems 2 months before the rest. Did pt, too tired and no change.

The Chiropractor helps my pain but the fatigue doesn't get better.
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

That is very interesting, as I have alot of neck problems + CFS
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

I had a neck injury many years ago. I don't have hand numbness, but one hand gets much colder than the other and my legs ache a lot.

I asked my doc about the neck problem--if it could be associated with all the other stuff--and he dismissed it. I wonder if a neurologist would?
  5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I went to a Neuro and his answer was sleep apnea. NO MRI ... now come on. Sure i have sleep apnea but after a week on cpap my neck is still killing me. I did the PT and it helped when they massaged my poor old neck. My Optomitrist (go figure) has faxed the Neuro requesting that an MRI be done. The Opt also asked if I have been tested for MS.
  6. dixie22

dixie22 New Member

I had an MRI done last week and have appointment with neosurgeon this wednesday. I hope to get some of these questions answered.

I have leg pain 24/7
    burning feet 24/7
    spells of fatigue
    short term memory loss
    nerve zigs
    all kind of sensory stuff going wrong...

My MRI reads as follows:

c2 - c3 No Significant Findings

c3- c4 No Significant Findings

c4- c5 there is a central disk osteophyte complex. This does abut the anterior surface of the spinal cord.

c5- c6 there is a disk osteophyte complex that is central and eccentric to the right this disk osteophyte complex appears to abut the anterior surface of the spinal cord and compromises the right neural foramen

c6 - c7 there is a disk osteophyte complex eccentric to the right modestly compromising the right neural foramen

Opinion: prominent disk osteophyte complex that is central and eccentric to the right at c5 c6
    this appears to abut the anterior surface of the spinal cord.

central disk osteophyte complex at c4 c5 abutting the anterior surface of the spinal cord.

disk osteophyte complex eccentric to the right c6 c7