Neck/Shoulder Pain causing dizziness?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Mar 5, 2009.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I get most of my pain in the neck bones and shoulders. And with the pain I get dizziness and spaciness. My neuro calls it migraine syndrome (minus the headache) however I really think it is cervical arthritis and fibro.

Does anyone else get this floating, dizzy feeling from head, neck and shoulder pain. Other than heavy pain meds (I can't tolerate anything by tylenol--which barely takes the edge off)--any other home remedies and/or supplements to take?

This is driving me crazy--using ice and heat all day long. I need to make a 4 hour trip to see my new grandbaby and I don't know how I can tolerate the car ride. Help please!

2. gumama

gumama New Member

YES.. i have that floating dizzy feeling a lot when I'm tired and late in the afternoon... I've found that drinking more water and resting when I feel like that helps a lot.. the heating pad and I are best of friends.. I find that the ice doesn't help me at all...

I don't tolerate medications well either.. but I've found that taking liquid baby ibuprofin works for me.. it takes the edge off... another thing that works good is to get in the shower and let the shower beat on your shoulders and back then get in a warm blanket ( put in the dryer while your in the shower ) and get into a warm chair or recliner at a 45 degree angle..

also if you have a walgreens near you. they have bed buddies that look like a cape that can be put in the microwave and they fit the length of your upper back... you can place it where you need it the most...

hope this helps.. I know what a terrible feeling that floating dizzy stuff is...

3. nixon

nixon New Member

I also have ALOT of neck,shoulder pain, but I also suffer from debilitating headaches. I know what you mean about the dizzy feeling! I'm not sure about any home remedies or supplements, but have you ever tried a TENS unit? I had one for awhile,until my insurance wouldn't pay for it, and I had to send it back!! It did help a little when the pain was unrelenting.

Hopefully someone else will know of something you can try, I know how bad it can be.....I just suffer through! Good Luck, I'm sure you are dying to see the grandbaby!
  4. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I have had 3 cervical discs removed and 2 large bone spurs and also have osteoarthritis,degenerative disc disease and a slew of other medical problems. I am not a expert on the floating and dizziness,but I have had this problem since before I had my surgery.It scared the ---- out of me! I fell down a flight of stairs carrying a cooler,I had no warning the first episode,no dizziness,nothing. The 2nd was when i was training a horse in a rd pen. I felt as though everything moved except me. Then I fell again. After several Dr's and yrs,a chiro found the problem.
    Has your neuro done a MRI of your neck? If he hasn't insist on it.A EMG?(nerve conduction test) My pain went from neck down to hands. I was very athletic and brushed it aside as pulled muscles. My neuro thought i had been in a bad car accident from the look of my MRI. I hadn't. I do not know for sure when it happened,there have been several things in my life that could have caused it.I still have more damge that will need to be taken care of evetually.I don't have this problem as often as i use to ,but it is still there and i believe it always will be. I believe it is nerve damage.
    OK, for my pain before and after-pain killers did not work for me any longer. I iced my neck down to my elbows,this was and still is at times the only way i can get any relief,let alone sleep at times. I have actually slept with ice packs ALL night. Heat made it worse because i had inflammation.
    When you travel-take pillows along to rest your arms on,on both sides.This will help your arms from pulling on your neck as much. Put a rolled up kitchen towel behind your neck and one just above your hips for support. If you need a gel ice pack,bring it in a cooler. Get out and walk every hr-hr1/2.
    I recently took a trip and this did help. I saw my chiro as soon as i got home and a massage therapist. I have gone several times in week. I still had pain but i made it through it. Some of the roads we traveled were very rough,it's going to jiggle you around. Rest as soon as you get to your destination.
    You said you cannot take tylenol. That is what I took.So i can't help you on that one. I take 2-650mg every 4 hrs as needed.
    I hope you have a smooth trip. I know how important it is to see your granbaby. I have 4. I hope i have been of some help.Let me know how it goes. I will be thinking of you.
    When i have these spells of floating dizziness all i can do is ride it out and pray it stops soon. Be very careful when driving and everything.Hang onto whatever is nearest!Crowds have this affect on me also,sometimes i can be sitting still or laying down. BE CAREFUL!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/05/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/05/2009]
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I truly appreciate everyone's replies (so far).

For years I always thought I had Fibro and CFS. One doctor confirmed myofascial pain. However I have not had this constant aching as I have had the last couple of weeks. It's like my entire body has gone haywire.

I do want to clarify that the only pain med I take is Tylenol. It takes the edge off but doesn't get rid of the muscular pain.

It is interesting when you all said it could be nerve pain--I really need to get my neck checked out further. Once the ortho took x-rays--but an MRI needs to be taken.

I'm afraid of taking anything stronger because I get dizzy and sometimes get heart palpitations with strong meds. I have a history of SVT (supra ventricular tachycardia).

Everyone's ideas have been great. I've read that Fibro is common in the neck and shoulders. I hope more people will respond with their ideas. Any natural vitamins or supplements???

6. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I have fibro too. I have more days than not of pain all over and sometimes different areas. Mines from alot of everything! LOL!!
    I heard our Fm pain moves around. said this has been going on for a couple weeks..(Just thinking) I could be wrong but i don't think it would be the fibro....I'm not a Dr or nurse....pulled muscles..stress....slept wrong....pinched nerve...could be a number of things dear. Best to get it checked out. Massage does wonders too. I've recently been going. It hurts but after a day or two i feel somewhat better. My chiro helps with neck and back issues, He doesn't claim to cure Fm or my back problems but i have gotton some relief. I have a tens unit...sometimes it helps..sometimes not. Epsom salt bath.But if you have inflamation the hot water may make it worse. I suggest trying both heat and cold and see which one works best for you. Have you tried a muscle cream?
    ok, vitamins, I take Vit.D, magnesium. Sorry I misunderstood about the Tylenol. Some worry about the effects of the Tylenol. I asked my doc about it,he said it is very rare the Tylenol Arthritis would do any damage to our organs(liver) but to watch for signs of it. I take 2 tablets of 650mg every 4 hrs. It does help some. And Tylenol Pm at night to help me sleep,it does work for me. I am never totally out of pain, but at least I can deal with it. And I have to be very concious of what I am doing threw out the day. Lifting, etc.
    Some say MSM has helped them.I think Jammin is a good gal to talk with about that. I have tried it,but I haven't tried the big doses like what she uses.
    Then I've heard Grape seed extract.I haven't tried either. But may sometime.
    Ask your Dr about all of these so you don't have bad reaction from your other meds. of course.
    I hope I have helped somewhat or at least given you some more ideas. I would get that MRI though, just to make sure and ask about the nerve conduction test too.
    Hugs, Robin