Neck Surgery Options and Recovery with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msSusan, Aug 15, 2006.

1. msSusan

msSusan Member

I was told by one dr. that I would need an Anterior Cervical Disc. and Fusion at C6(?) level but was wondering if anyone knows of less invasive procedure. I am trying to get a 2nd opinion but in the meantime would like to hear from anyone who has gone thru surgery and can tell me how you dealt with more pain because of FM. In the past pain killers have not worked well for me!
  2. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

Hi,
    I had this surgery in 1998. The neurosurgeon went thru the front of my neck to repair the rupture at C-5 and 6. After that was when I started having the symptoms of fibromyalgia. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a second, third and fourth opinion! My surgeon told me I'd be back to work in 4-6 weeks. I haven't worked since the surgery. It was called a failed surgery and I'm limited to what I can lift, how long I can sit, etc., and then developed FM afterwards. Also, within two months of the surgery, the disk was bulging again.

Have you tried physical therapy? My surgeon told me that surgery was the only option and I trusted him. I've talked to a lot of people who have had the surgery and regreted it.

I'm not telling you this to scare you but I really want you to be aware of what you're getting into and to seek other options and other opinions before you go under the knife.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted! Just don't make any hasty decisions.

((HUGS))

B~~
  3. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I had the surgery done in 1997. It was a life saver.

Do not know if that is when FM started though as mine was gradual.

I am still working and have had no problems, thank God with that part of my neck, even after being hit when in my car from behind.

I would however, get a second opinion.