Need a Doc in Northern Indiana

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by therxmouse, Sep 11, 2005.

1. therxmouse

therxmouse New Member

Hello to all of my new "Fibro Friends"!

I just found this message board and started reading, sounds like we all have the same frustrations with this disease.

I was diagnosed 2+ years ago after years of random symptoms. It was always the same. I'd go to the Dr. only to be told "There is nothing wrong" So frustrating! My PCP finaly sent me to a Rheumatologist who made the diagnosis of FM. He wasn't very helpful and even said "you really don't have it so bad, my patients with arthritis are the ones in great pain. I guess he figured if you can't see it, then it shouldn't hurt. I stayed with him for about 8 months then had my PCP refill my meds even though she didn't want to. Last Jan. I ask her for a disabled parking tag and she acted real funny. She said that walking is good for me. I agree that walking is good exercise but in the winter it's so hard that most of the time I just stay home. She ended up giving me a temporary tag and suggested ~again~ that I needed to see a Rheumy for this. She said "I just don't do Fibromyalgia"

I went to see a new Rheumy last Thur. and guess what? She was NO HELP either. She thought if I exercised more that I would be cured. What the %#**?

I live in Northern Indiana ~ in Notre Dame territory ~ If anyone out there knows of a good Dr. in this area I would love to hear about them.

Have a beautiful day!
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I can't help, but I'll bump and maybe someone will see this. Good luck finding someone.

Sue
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Welcome to our board! You will really like it here. Super good people, who care and understand.

I live in Ft. Wayne, but see a rhuemy in Indy. The ones in town just diagnosis. Heaven forbid they treat!

If you would like his name, I would be happy to share! You will get more responses from others in the state. It seems most are Indy area.

I find it interesting the one doctor told you that his arthritis patients have 'more' pain. I tested positive for rheumatoid, and while they think it is Fibro, he said it is more painful than the rheum. arthritis! I also have osteoarthritis and I'll take that anyday over the darn fibro and cfs.

There is a doctor referral at the top of the page. It seems there are some close to your area. With this 'fog', I might be wrong! LOL

It's nice to meet you! I hope you keep coming back!

Kim
  4. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I saw Dr Keith Reich in Munster. Problem is he is a total A/D man. I have problems with A/D's and I refuse to take them anymore. You can not tell me that A/D's are the only way I can be treated. He also was on the "lose weight and exercise" band wagon. I do agree that less weight on my body may ease my pain somewhat but weight is not the total issue here. I am going to try seeing a Neurologist next. There is one in the paper that says he treats people with fibromyalgia all the time. And it also states that he will try homeopathic cures too. I hurt so bad right now i can hardly type! My tenderpoints are so sore they almost feel like i was beat up. I can't understand why its so bad today. I sure hope you find a good Dr.
  5. therxmouse

therxmouse New Member

This seems like a great board. We do have to help each other cause nobody knows how something feels until they go through it.

I have done a little research on the net for a doc but all I get are names and locations. Funny, I got a whole bunch from Ft. Wayne. I'm so glad you tipped me off! It would be nice to find someone who has a good track record with FM patients. The drive to Indy would be worth it to find a good one. I would really appreciate the info on your Dr.

~Mickie
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I am having a bad fibro fog day! My hubby has the doctor's info in his daytimer. I know his last name is Smith and that he is in a very good practice. I will let you know!

WHO did you find in Fort Wayne??? I would be so interested to know~ Would you let me know?

Thanks and email you soon!

Kim
  7. therxmouse

therxmouse New Member

Could this lovely Indiana humidity be the cause of your pain?
    I know it bothers me. I always know when the barometric pressure is moving just by how cruddy I feel. I sure hope the neurologist is helpful for you. If so be sure to let us know!

~Mickie
  8. therxmouse

therxmouse New Member

Kim~

The two Docs I wrote down were Steven Ko and Steven Behrendsen both on Jefferson Blvd in Ft. Wayne. The list was pretty long so I didn't write them all down.

How long have you been seeing Dr. Smith?
  9. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Welcome from another Hoosier! I live south of Chicago and the only one I have seen is a rheumy from Lafayette. He,after a quick twist and turn of joints, said I had "a little fibro". Now, how do you have a "little"? That is like be a little pregnant!!!!!

I too had years of symptoms that my PCP paid not much attention to. Finally, after toes became numb and pain began, said I had "some" fibro!!! I have had nerve conduction tests of legs that resulted in an MRI. Them I found out I also have scoliosis and spinal stenosis. No help for that except "8 hours of surgery"!!! My next step is tne Pain Clinic in Lafayette that deals with all types of injections. After that, I don't know.

Yes, this hideously hot summer has made a difference. I have hurt so bad in this heat! For some reason, I hurt worse. I think every kind of change makes y ou hurt

Welcome to a board that cares for you, lets you cry to them, compliments you on joys two-fold, cares more for you than some so-called friends who can not figure out what is wrong with you even if you tell them. I love them all.

Feel free to address a message to me - lilaclover30 - amytime with a question. We want to help one another.

Gentle Hugs
  10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Ah yes, Dr. Koh was the doctor who dx'd me and promptly told me to find someone else who treats. They were recommended over the few other rheums here in town. It's my understanding that none of them, treat.

I have seen Dr.Smith twice. It has been awhile since I have been to Indy. He did offer hydrocodone, but my family GP had already given me an RX. I appreciated the fact that if I absolutely needed something for pain, that he didn't withold.

His name is Douglas Smith Rheumatology Associates PC.
    The number is 317-844-6444. I like him.

Don't bother with the Fort Wayne doctors. It takes MONTHS to get in and they don't help after dx.

Let me know what you decide!

Kim
  11. therxmouse

therxmouse New Member

Thanks for all of your replies.

Sometimes, I feel so misunderstood and all by myself, it helps to know there are others who really do understand.

You guys are great!

~Mickie