Need A Master Grocery List and a few ideas on....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimba4318, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

HI there my helpful friends...

DOes anyone have a MASTER GROCERY LIST that you use to grocery shop... I need one to just check off items I am out of, when I need them.

I would assume we all kind of have to stock up on the same staples and I was wonderign if we could start one here and add to it, as we go... or if some of you may already have one made up.

I get so overwhelmed with the grocery store (among other things). I have to shop tomorrow and would like to actually have food in the house by mid next week. I seem to spend hundreds of dollars and probably wasting half of it.

I'm posting another thread for quick and easy meal ideas, if you all have any suggestions for that too.

OKAY to start:
    Bread, Eggs & Milk (duhhh... but thats what I can think of right now... see why I need help)

Please help if you can. My mother in law will go once every 2 weeks and have meal after meal from it... I get too overwhelmed and get maybe 2 meals out of it and the rest goes bad or I need to order carry out.

2. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

You are a GROCERY GODDESS!!! I aspire to be as organized as you!

And here I thought I was tricky by printing out master lists from grocery store websites......I bow down to the master!!! ahahahahaa

3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Yep.. I agree.... The Master. Wow, you are good. Seems so simple and makes perfect sense. I am saving time and money already!!

THanks a bunch!
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

so helpful... how do you come up with 15 days worth of meals in one grocery trip?

Anyway, you can give me an idea of what you all are eating for atleast 7 of them??? I am just curious. Way to go though, seems overwhelming to think that far ahead, but boy it would be great to be able to do that....

YOu have been so helpful already, but if you have time... can you give me the meal ideas??

Thanks a bunch!
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

I typed up a Master List 10 yrs ago: I used the main grocery store layout.

Aisle 1, 2, 3, etc: list items in each aisle, leave a few lines between Aisles, so you can write in special items for holidays, etc.

Highlight with a pencil each product you need from each aisle as you find you're out of it. I keep list on counter.

As you purchase it, put an 'x' by the item so you remember you bought it. If you need it again before the month is through, just erase the 'x' mark.

I buy lots of things when on sale,but I have 2 freezers and a garage and pantry, so it's easy to store them.

Xerox the Master List 12 times; once for each month.

My mom made up weekly menus, didn't take her much time at all; I just try to keep stocked on items I use constantly and think of what I'll have each day or the day before if I need to defrost something: I always have a good supply to choose from...and there's always that Master List to Highlight, LOL!

6. TKE

TKE New Member

Aside from the basics of bread, eggs & milk I buy many items in bulk. A 10# package of chicken leg quarters at Wal-mart makes us 5-6 meals. I buy Ground beef 30# at a time from a local butcher shop & do it up in packages for spaghetti, goulash, gnochhi, etc. We also make burgers & freeze them. Most of my recipies makes enough for 5, but there's only 2 of us, so we eat allot of left overs every week, which means I only have to actually cook maybe 3 meals a week. I hardly ever feed the garbage can.

Ham & Turkey...I do HUGE ones. Did a 19# ham for Christmas & we froze 2/3 of it. Sliced & done up in packages. Same with the turkey. I also buy pork from a butcher or in large packages & do it up as well. Last time I bought bacon I got 37#. Made us 50 some packages. Fish I get in large boxes at Wal-Mart. At any time I can grab something from my freezer & toss a side dish with it & we have a meal.

A trick I learn to keep meat from freezer burning so quick....after you have it packaged in a ziploc or freezer paper put it in a brown paper bag. The paper bag helps to slow down freezer burn, so frozen foods last allot longer in your freezer.

I use mostly frozen veggies, again I by the big bags.

Canned goods, again the same I buy in quantity & keep well stocked. I was raised by my Grandparents, who went thru the depression, so food was precious back then. Once they got thru it food was kept in bulk at all times. I do the same.

Each week I take a look at my "food stores" & see what's getting low & add that to my list. This way I keep everything well stocked & can just toss a meal together quickly. I try to keep ahead so I don't have to buy a cart full each week. Makes it easier load/unlock/put away.

I'd suggest writing down the meals you normally cook each week. The make a list of foods you need to make those meals. Now go back & see what you can make from the extra or left overs from each of those meals. Write them down.

Another thing you can do is get one of those grocery lists things you can stick to your frig. When something is getting low write it on the list.

There's also printable grocery lists on the internet. Just do a search for "grocery list" & you'll find several.

7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

TKE - Great Paper Bag trick, I was wondering how to keep that darn freezer burn away. Bulk really is a giid idea for us too. Thank You!

Findmind - Great ideas also... I feel so wasteful now, you all are so good. I will make muy master list w/all fo these great ideas and sort by isle, that will speed things up.

AliGrace - Your still the Queen... thankyou for taking the time to put that idea list together. Wow you really do plan every snack and every meal thru the day. That is amazing & I have trouble with just dinner.

Thanks to you all... sounds silly, but I feel confident I can do this right this time. I guess if I miss some things, I will learn for next time.

My kids are spoiled too... I get things and they still have the "THere is nothing to eat syndrome" Drives me nuts, I could have tons in the house but it would not be what they are in the mood for. They need to get over it.

Once again, you all are the BEST! Thanks for taking your time to help me and any other brain dead shoppers :)

8. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

You are scaring me!!!

People who can oraganize like that, have a real skill!!

But it's kinda scary for us other side brain people, who, if i do make a list i lose it, i lose the calender too!LOL

You are the Queen of Shopping! LOL I should go with you sometime, but i would probably lose you in that big ole Walmart!! Is that were you go? I do because i save so much more money, but i like Village Foods better. With three growing boys, shopping is getting abit scary.