Need a new bed any ideas???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chilepepper, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Chilepepper

Chilepepper New Member

Hi, I am going to get a new bed, any body have any info on what helps. And is it affordable!! Need a king size. Husband needs extra firm for back and I need firm but soft because of FM. Very confused. Would like a ajustable bed but the cost is too much. Any body have a prefrence. what works or at least helps. thanks
  2. vp

vp New Member

I know what works for me, but I'm afraid I can't help with the affordable part.
    I love my sleep number bed. I've had it for a year now and it is still as comfy is the first day I slept in it (and night) I spend alot of time here with my dog and laptop. I can adjust each side separatly for soft or firm at the touch of a button. And it came with a thick memory foam topper that easily zips into the top of the mattress, so it can be replaced when it wears out, without buying a whole new mattress. It can be replaced with any foam topper, it doesn't have to be theirs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is after the initial investment with a little maintenance it could last alot longer than other types of mattresses, and no flipping and turning either.

They are pricy though, that is the bad part. Best Christmas present I ever got! Gave boyrfiend my mattress and box springs that were only 3 years old to replace his ancient ones, and he bought me the new bed. Win-Win situation.

I know this may not help much, but I just love my comfy bed and had to spread the word.
    Hope you can find something that fits your budget and needs. I know I couldn't afford to buy it myself.

Good Luck
    Valerie
  3. patches25

patches25 New Member

Look at the Flobeds website to see the advantages of latex beds. Then you might shop around and find some to try out at local stores. I use to have spring mattresses--ouch. Now I have latex and it is so nice. You can even get latex toppers. I am highly allergic to the memory foam mattresses. My mouth and eyes got extremely dry whenever I would lay down. Latex I have no problems with. Good luck finding something comfortable. E.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2005]
  4. lin-z

lin-z New Member

My husband and I have done alot of homework...asking professionals, patients and lying on beds to make our decision. The tempurpedic is very expensive but ,as we know, sleep is a priority. I havent received it yet(on order) but with a 90 day comfort guarantee, I am very excited!! We now sleep on a "rock" that I used to think was good for my back and pain....NOT!!!!

by the way it is a memory foam bed[This Message was Edited on 12/29/2005]
  5. twister425

twister425 New Member

Hi
    We purchased a memory foam mattress for Sams club. It is the 12 in mattress that you can use on your currrent box spring and frame. WOW!!! It is an awesome bed and we paid just under $900.00 for it. The only regret is we bought a queen, should have gotten the king. It was pretty neat, came in a box vaccumed sealed. I would reccommend it to everyone!

Sherri
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I bought a good foam bed.
    Wish I had got a Sleep # Bed.
    I'm not able to turn my bed..that part is a pain.
    If I get another bed it will be a Sleep # Bed.
    Dee50
  7. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I think when I get a new bed,I will get a platform bed with no box springs! They are very firm ! Depending on your choice of mattress,you can soften it or keep it very firm.I think I'll get a very good mattress and with less expense on the bed,I can afford to a get a excellent quality mattress.I will get the pillow top on both sides and then it's reversible. I slept in one of these in Copenhagen, Denmark and I really loved it. They had a king size but with twin mattress on it,separate sheets and down comforters. One King size Bedspread.The smaller sheets are also cheaper. I think you save all the way around with this idea.You can get these platform beds with drawers under them for added space for storage.
    Hugs Shirley
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2005]
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

New combo that seems OK is to put the $100 memory foam on top of your regular mattress then on top of that put either a feather bed or the imitation feather bed, then a put a padded mattress cover over the lot. It seems to keep very warm and seems to support well and was a cheaper answer for me.
    Cromwell
  9. vp

vp New Member

Someone mentioned using 2 twin mattresses to make a king. (Sorry I forgot who already)

Anyway my BF parents do this because of different firmness requirements. They seem to like it. They use king size bedspread and it fits nicely.

The mattress I traded my BF for was a Simmons Beauty Rest. I loved it at first, but as my health changed, so did my taste in mattresses. My BF still likes it.

The only thing I didn't like about my simmons is it only had a pillow top on one side and I could only spin it 180* not flip it. I always ended up in sinking to the middle of the bed, which isn't such a bad thing unless there is 2 of you and you both sink to the middle -- when you don't want to.

Just something to keep in mind if you end up with a pillow top. Make sure it is on both sides. The sales pitch of "it never has to be flipped" sounded too good to be true.

Good luck
    Valerie
  10. darude

darude New Member

I have a waveless waterbed with various heat settings. It's wonderful!
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

My oldest daughter and SIL got a king size Simmons Beauty Rest--the super dooper one--just like brooksiemom got.

He has back trouble and she had arthritis, etc., and they both just love it. I have taken naps on it while spending the day with her on ocassions--and I have to agree! The only thing is ... the king size, top of the line, was either $1500 or $2500! With my foggy head, can't remember which! It seems to me that by the time they got the frame and headboard, that everything may have come up to $3000!

Whenever I need a new bed, that is what I am getting, too!

12. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, all!

Thanks for this thread. I know it is an old one, but it helped me get some ideas when I went mattress shopping in January.

I already knew that Memory Foam in all its varieties off-gases a smell that is like poison to me. And I find it uncomfortable, because I sink too far into it. (I'm a heavier person.)

First I tried a Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed, with high hopes. I found my sleep number in three nights (65). But I could never get used to the air-mattress feeling.

I always felt like I was at a fourth grade slumber party! lol It just felt cheap.

So I returned it and tried a Flobed latex mattress. Thanks for the tip, patches25. They are VERY soft. I discovered that their idea of "firm" was my idea of "soft".

But after some trial and error, the super firm cores seem to be working for me. I'm lying in bed at night thinking "Is it legal for a bed to be this comfortable?"

lol!

Also, I can report that the customer service at Flobeds was good. They said they would replace the cores if they didn't feel right, and I put their guarantee to the test! And they were pleasant about it.

A funny thing is that you may as well disassemble these mattresses to move them. Trying to move them assembled is like trying to move a giant squid. All squishy and awkward!

They seem to need a platform bed or a firm foundation, not a box spring.

Forebearance :)
  13. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I sleep in a king size, full motion water bed. I have had it for about seventeen years.I can't sleep in a regular
    bed. I feel like I am sleeping on a rock. The heat really
    helps my pain from arthritis.
    Do any of you sleep on a water bed? And do you feel like it is good for you?
    ((((( cat hugs))))) Ruth
  14. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have slept on Tempurpedic for over ten years. We have three. The latest one is their "celebrity delux" that is adjustable.

I am very happy and definitely feel it helped my fibro.
  15. Chermione

Chermione New Member

I want to get a new bed. Ideally, I would like a sleep number bed. But I can't afford one, so until I can, I'm planning on getting a pillow top bed. They are so soft and I like the "bumpiness" of them, soft bumpiness.
  16. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

My mother has FM and swears by the memory foam...
    I have FM and LOVE the memory foam...
    Another friend who has chronic pain loves waterbeds and memory foam.

I just started using my memory foam (a b-day gift) and I have noticed a difference already.

The nice thing about that is that you can get the memory foam toppers (go for a minimum of 3-4") fairly inexpensive ($80-$100) and see how you like the memory foam. They fit on top of your current mattress. If they work for you, you can just stay with the topper or make the change to a full mattress. If you don't like it then you can start researching other things.
  17. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

Man, I wish I had been DX when I bought my new bed. I bought the top of the line at IKEA and my husband is in love with it!!! I so thought my troubles were over by getting a new bed, so dissapointed when I got no relief what so ever. Now I know why, I just wish I had known sooner!!! hehehehehe I really want to buy the "The Cuddle Ewe" underquilt. It is made especially for FM patients. If any one has tried this, please let me know if it is all it is cracked up to be!!! Here is a link to their website

http://www.cuddleewe.com/

Thanks for any info!!!
  18. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

With Pillow Top!! Talk about heaven... or sleeping on a cloud!!!

We had a spring mattress before and was constantly being waken up by springs poking me... literally! I have been trying to break the habit of sleeping on my stomach, and the new firm contoured pillow has helped, as i had been sleeping more on my side.

But, i actually have been having huge success with sleeping on my back with this bed! I will fall asleep, and wake up six hours later (just to go to the bathroom) laying in the same position on my back that i fell asleep!!! Has NEVER happened before! EVER!!! It feels like every muscle is being hugged, and loved ; )

We got ours on sale at Mattress Warehouse over Labor Day. It was originally $1400 or $1500 i want to say... and we got the set for $799 (ours is a queen)!! These places always run huge sales over the holidays! Memorial Day... and July 4th are coming up, so they should have good sales going over those weekends! They also have lay-away plans, in which you can take advantage of the sale's price, but just pay on it monthly. (which by the way, is better than financing!)

We'd talked about this for years... i can't believe it took us soooooo long!!! Don't wait! Your back, your hips, your legs, your arms... your everything will thank you greatly! ; )

Take care~

TM~

[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2006]