Need a new blender - any suggestions?? I got a NEW one!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Jan 19, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I was making my shake this morning and one of the blades broke off my blender! It was weak from being hit with a spoon a few months ago (oops). It's 15 years old, so it's probably time for a new one anyway. It only had one speed - ON.

Does anybody have suggestions? Is there a particular model or brand that you really like?

Thanks!

Katy

edit on 5/29/06 - I got my new blender! See my post dated 5/29/06 for details.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2006]
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

chopping in a processor by attaching the base to the top of the bowl..or you can put the handle with attachment into a glass...works great for protein drinks ....and slushys or whatever.

i bought mine at costco...if i don't liek it or it breaks they will take it back even if you don't have the receipt...

jodie
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I'm interested in getting one too .. what brand does anyone suggest ?
    Fudge : )
  4. turquoise

turquoise Member

I've used the Oster brand Osterizer blenders for years, the multiple speed models with the glass container. The one I have now has twelve settings. Even though they change the shape of the container from time to time, you can use the base (motor) of an older one if something should happen to the container. Ordering parts from the company is easy also. I could NOT do without mine.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2006]
  5. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I just got a new blender.. I got a Kitchen Aid.. I love it.

The cost is a little more.. But I use it so much that I wanted a good one that would last. And it is really powerful.

Plus I leave it sit out all the time.. so I wanted it to look nice..It is a stainless and black..matched my other appliances.. I'm picky! LOL

Stomy.. You still have not gotten a new blender.. Even after it was smoking?? LOL I think it's time!

SherylD
  6. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Because I had weight loss surgery, I have to drink a lot of protein shakes. To be very honest, I LOVE the Magic Bullet blender. Most of my weight loss surgery friends use the Magic Bullet.

I know it sounds "hokey", but it really is good and from an informertial no less.

Tigger
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

I haven't used many blenders but my cousin loves the smoothie blenders.

8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Here's a list of brands you think are good so far:

Oster / Osterizer
    Kitchen Aid
    Magic Bullet
    Wal Mart Smoothie Maker
    Osteo

Good suggestions!! Of course, now my husband wants to just buy replacement blades for our Waring blender. I think I'll see how much they are, but will probably hold out for a new one.

Thanks for the input!!

Katy

9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I ended up buying replacement blades for my Waring blender. That was 4 months ago. Now the motor sounds like it's about to seize up. Time for a new blender for sure this time.

Stormy - What did you buy? Are you happy with it?

Anyone else have any input??
  10. colinjn

colinjn New Member

Hi,
    I thought I would add my thoughts. Funny, this is a topic on the low carb forum I visit as well.

Checkout the horsepower ( ya ya I know it's a guy thing)
    Check out the gearing. ( how the base makes the blades spin)
    Check out the Bowl shape and design. ( different designs work better for different things)

If the sales person doesn't know the pros and cons of these features, you are in the wrong shop.

I have had good reports from friends using the Magic Bullet, but they mainly make easily processed foods. Still, it does what they want it to.

I use a Vita Mix, and yes it does everything they promise. But I am a serious cook and put my things through a fair bit of torture. I need things to perform and stand up.

Oh yes, and I might as well say that the above list goes for food processors as well. And, Stay away from anything that is belt driven!

Colin
  11. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

Hi TwinMa,I haven't been on for a while but today I decided to get caught up.

I have an Osterizer Blender that is 36 years old and still works. Like someone else said it has the heavy glass container. BUT did you know the blades will fit on any regular size fruit jar, for small amounts I use the 1/2 pint jar.

I just got the magic bullet last week, I love it but can't see that it is longlasting......but for 50 cents a week an added warrenty can be bought.

Hopes this helps.
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

My mother loved her Osterizer and it lasted many, many years. It had a glass container. When it broke, she bought anther one. I should have followed my mom's example, but I didn't. I bought a KitchenAide and although it works ok, I don't like the fact that the food tends to get caught on the bottom of the container and sticks under the blades. It wasn't cheap either.

Lolalee
  13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've been needing a new blender for awhile now too. Mine is a cheap thing they sell at the Exchanges on base and it has a problem crushing ice for smoothies.

So much information on this board, Thanks!!!

Nancy B.
  14. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I bought an Oster Osterizer, classic beehive design, model 4270. It's a deep red color, very pretty.

It has a 500 watt motor, 5 cup glass jar, and an all-metal drive. It comes with an ice crush blade (good for frozen fruit, too). It has a toggle switch with ON-OFF and PULSE. I think the ones with 10 and 12 speeds are just overkill, and those push buttons are awful to keep clean.

It was $48.89 at Target. It comes in other colors as well (blue, brushed chrome, copper, etc). You can see them online at target.com.

I found lots of opinions and reviews on blenders online at epinions, Amazon, and Target. I also checked Consumer Reports, which wasn't as helpful as the review sites I mentioned.

Replacement parts are much cheaper for the Oster vs Waring. That was a definite factor for me. Plus the Waring blenders cost about twice as much. You can't find a Waring for under $100.

The Osters also have loads of optional attachments. You can see them at amazon. I'm not sure I'll get any, but it's good to know they are out there.

I used it for the first time this morning, and it blended my shake just fine. It is pretty loud, but not much louder than my Waring. And it's so fast that I didn't have it running very long.

The jar is easier to clean than my Waring, too.

So there's my blender saga. Hope this information can help others.

Thanks for all the responses. It definitely helped!
  15. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...well worth the money. I love it---very simple; if you like a lot of settings, this isn't the one for you. But I really like it; very industrial.

Hugs,
    Pam