Need a recipe.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, May 11, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have a friend who is having minor surgery tomorrow but will be laid up for a while.

I need an easy, recipe for something to take over to her place for dinner. Possibly something that can be frozen for later use. A recipe that is fogbrain friendly.

Thanks!!

gap
  2. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Im going to ride your coattails on this one. I do the chicken and pasta casseroles but dont use a recipe. I wear those out so I make a mildly seasoned enchilada casserole and I cheat by using the seasonings in a packet. Layer tortillas with sauce mixture and cheese. It freezes well too. No recipe required lol
  3. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I make 'welfare' lasagna.........

I use the 'oven ready' noodles--don't have to cook them before--brown some hamburger, mix in some spaghetti sauce, and maybe small can of tomato sauce if you need to 'stretch' it.

Layer noodles with meat sauce, smear ricotta or cottage cheese on top of noodles (I have egg allergy, so don't mix eggs in--added bonus is less prep time) fling a couple handfuls of mozzarella cheese on top.

Do as many layers as needed (or until you run out of ingredients LOL)--I usually make 2 medium size ones instead of a 'hog size' one, as there are just the two of us, and I freeze one for later consumption.

Quick, easy, and delicious!! If you need more clarification on preparation, let me know--I worked foodservice for 20 years, so my cooking directions to others tend to be sketchy.....

Also--good with the frozen garlic bread you can find in any grocery store, or simply make your own--I have a quickie recipe for that, too, if you're interested.

Have a good evening, and hope your friend's sx turns out ok! That's good of you to take her some dinner while she's out of commission!

>^.^<
  4. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

TV dinners with microwave instructions could be good.

Recipes good with brain fog , now that's a tough one....lol

Chicken soup & beef stew are good ideas.

Desserts , like cookies , may be good.

Blessings ,

b/c
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

that is really easy to make and freezes well; lentils. I usually bake a pan of baked brown rice (delicious) to serve the lentils over while the lentils are cooking. The brown rice can stay in the frig for up to a week and reconstitutes beautifully in the microwave with just a bit of water. If you would like these recipes, let me know and I will post them...it's already past my bedtime right now--LOL!!

Laura

Okay, as promised, here are my recipes for lentils and brown rice, as well as my 'stoop' recipe (a cross btn a soup and a stew) and my quick cheddar broccoli tart which is always a hit:

Here is my lentil recipe. I don’t always measure stuff. If you prepare it a few times you can adjust ingredients to suit your taste. And I will guarantee you, you will never taste brown rice as tasty as this recipe.
    LENTILS:

1 bag lentils

1 onion chopped

A few stalks of celery chopped (3 or 4) leaf and all

2 or three carrots chopped

1 16 oz can tomato sauce (I prefer Cento brand)

Parsley (fresh or dry—I usually use a small handful of dried)

2 or 3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 boullion cube

8 cups water (sounds like a lot, but the lentils absorb like crazy)

Salt to taste (like a small handful—can add more later)

A generous pinch or two of Italian seasoning (I prefer Cento brand)

2 or 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar

Rinse lentils in cold water and drain. Pick over for any odd pieces. Place in large pot with all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Stir and lower heat. Cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes or so until beans are tender. If the lentils have absorbed too much liquid for your taste, you can add a bit of water or, preferably, a good quality vegetable broth (I like Nature’s Promise—it comes in a box and you can get it in Stop and Shop). Sometimes, if the cooked lentils seem a bit pale, I add a dash of Gravy Master, strictly for coloring purposes. Adjust spices if necessary.

Serve over a little cooked ditalini pasta or cooked brown rice, with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Delicious!!

ALTON BROWN’S BAKED BROWN RICE

1 ½ cups brown rice

2 ½ cups water (I sometimes use water, broth or a combo of. If broth is salty, reduce added Kosher salt)

1 Tablespoon unsalted butter or margarine

1 teaspoon Kosher Salt

Preheat oven to 375. Place rice in 8 inch square glass baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.

Bring water or broth, butter and salt to a gentle boil. Pour over the rice and gently stir to combine in glass dish. Cover dish tightly with heavy duty foil or two sheets of regular foil. Bake on middle rack of oven for one hour. Fluff with fork and serve immediately. Enjoy!!

CHICKEN DUMPLING STOUP

2 TBLS EVOO

4 STALKS CELERY, CHOPPED

2 MEDIUM ONIONS, CHOPPED

1 ½ CUPS STORE BOUGHT SHREDDED CARROTS

1 BAY LEAF

SALT AND PEPPER

6 CUPS CHICKEN STOCK

1 POUND GROUND CHICKEN

2 CLOVES GARLIC, FINELY CHOPPED

A LITTLE FRESHLY GRATED NUTMEG

1 EGG

½ CUP OR SO ITALIAN BREAD CRUMBS

½ CUP GRATED PARMIGIANO REGGIANO CHEESE

1 PKG FROZEN GNOCCHI

1 CUP FROZEN PEAS

A HANDFUL OF FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY, FINELY CHOPPED

CRUSTY BREAD FOR MOPPING!!!

HEAT A SOUP POT OVER MEDIUM TO MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT WITH EVOO. ADD CELERY, ONIONS, CARROTS AND BAY LEAF, SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER, AND COOK FIVE MINUTES. ADD STOCK TO THE POT, COVER AND BRING TO A BOIL.

PLACE CHICKEN IN A BOWL AND SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER. ADD GARLIC, NUTMEG, EGG, BREADCRUMBS AND CHEESE. COMBINE THE CHICKEN MIXTURE WITH YOUR HANDS THEN ROLL INTO WALNUT SIZED MEATBALLS AND ADD TO THE SOUP. WASH YOR HANDS AND THEN ADD THE GNOCCHI TO THE POT AND COOK FOR 5 MINUTES. ADD PEAS AND PARSLEY AND COOK 3 MINUTES MORE. TURN HEAT OFF UNDER THE STOUP AND ALLOW IT TO COOL ON THE STOVETOP BEFORE SERVING WITH CRUSTY BREAD.

CHEDDAR BROCCOLI TART

1 ½ CUPS MILK

3 EGGS

1 PKG KNORR LEEK RECIPE MIX

1 10 OZ PKG FROZEN CHOPPED BROCCOLI, THAWED AND DRAINED

1 ½ CUPS (OR ONE BAG) SHREDDED MEXICAN SPICED CHEDDAR CHEESE

9 INCH UNBAKED OR FROZEN DEEP-DISH PIE CRUST

PREHEAT OVEN TO 375

In Large bowl with wire whisk or fork, beat milk, eggs, and leek mix until blended. Stir in broccoli and cheese; pour into pie crust. Place on cookie sheet.

Bake 40 minutes or so until firm and golden brown. Let it stand for 10 minutes or so before serving.

[<i>This Message was Edited on 05/13/2010</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/13/2010]
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

So now I have to choose. All these recipes sound wonderful. I have bookmarked this page. I plan to eventually try all of them. I am clueless when it comes to cooking.

Then again the microwavable meals do sound tempting.

lpg, yes I would love more recipes.

Anyone else?

We should write a recipe book for the foggy. When we have the energy, LOL!!!

gap

ETA I have never heard of precooked noodles. Where would you find them in the store. Did you know you can freeze spaghetti? That's another new one I had not heard of beore.[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2010]
  7. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I was a bit unclear on that--they aren't precooked--wait..........

(Had to go dig them out of the pantry)

They are called 'Oven Ready Lasagna' San Giorgia brand--though I imagine others make them, also. They live by the other pastas in the store. I swear by them, as I HATE to boil lasagna noodles, and would usually destroy them in the process.

Let us know what you decide to make!!

>^.^<
  8. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I think a cookbook for foggy folks is actually a good idea! One of my favorite cookbooks was done by a bunch of ladies from a quilting club. Fantastic down home cooking. Too bad I lost it. If you like cornbread have I got the recipe for you! Id be lost without my crockpot...thats where most of my fave meals come from. I cant wait to see what else folks come up with!
  9. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I love the idea of a "recipe" thread. My DH does most of the cooking when he's home, but I'd love some ideas for cooking for one - easy recipes - for when he's working at dinner time. He works for our local ambulance company and is often called out at weird hours.

Shall we start a separate recipe thread? I'm afraid I would be more of a lurker than a contributor!! :)
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Elliespad - I copied down your recipe which really isn't a "recipe" but I had never cooked Shake and Bake that way. Is the whole recipe cooked on 400 degree the whole time, since you cooked it covered and then uncovered.? All the recipes sound good esp also the lasagna. It sounds wonderful !!

If you are in a big hurry go and get the Stouffers Lasagna that is frozen, then put in the oven as per the directions !! You could keep it in that container or put what you want to give away in another oven proof baking pan. Or use another smaller aluminum throw away container to give away. That way you do not have to worry about getting your container back. The Stouyffers is really good and if you belong to Sams get the big one. Also just get some salad fixings and some Italian bread already fixed with the garlic seasonings on it.

I also do alot of cooking of chicken and pork chops with cream of mushroom soup. Let me know if you want them. They are TOO easy ! You can use the oven or a large frying pan with lid. The sauce is good for rice, noodles or potatoes.
    <
    Nowe, this is also too easy :) A friend frought it to me when I broke my arm years ago. She bought one of those huge cooked chicken from Sams and brought me some Italian or French bfread and some salad fixings. Now that is also EASY !! Kroger and Wal Mart and porobably other grocery stores also sells those chickens but they are more expensive and not as large. I guess you could also bake a chicken yourself. I haven''t done that in years.

I'll have to think of more recipes and see if I can think of some more. Now I have to go and finsih vacuuming. I have been procrastinating. More later on

Hugs,
    Granni
  11. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

recipes are delicious and recipes are on the box of Bisquick.
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

recipe men or the brain-fogged will appreciate. Only 3 ingrediments.

Potato chips, cream soup, tuna. Assemble and bake.

There are, of course, numerous additions and variations.

You can soak the chips to get rid of some of the salt. You can add whatever you
    like. Mushrooms, peas, truffles, lobster, etc.

You can add a topping of crumbs or cheese or whatever is lying around the kitchen.

Bon Appetit

(If Julia were here she would recommend serving w/ a loaf of crusty French
    bread and a suitable wine.)

Well, she recommended that for everything she cooked.

Adieu
    Rock
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have just the thing to go with that. Canned green beans mixed with canned Cream of Mushroom soup with canned onion rings on the top. I really used to like this. Now typing the ingredients make me nauseous.

Now we just need some fruit.

Yes, a suitable wine can make sawdust taste good. Not that I have ever tried it.

gap

14. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I like to keep containers of chopped fresh veggies in my freezer. In one container I will place a chopped onion, two or three chopped carrots, ann two or three stalks of celery. These pre-chopped veggies are a godsend when I am preparing the lentils, a soup, or or even the stoop, and I am feeling a bit lazy!!

For the stoop,I just put olive oil in the bottom of the pan with a little water or broth, and throw the frozen veggies into that first. Works as well as the orginal recipe!!

Enjoy--

Laura
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Laura,

Your recipes sound yummy and I have already printed them out. About how many servings do they make or for how many people? Of courase I know that can be a pretty tricky question - like it feeds 4 or 2 very hungry people :)!! LOL
    <
    Most of that time I cook for the latter - the 2 very hungry people, inless I have company ! They all sound really good.

BTW, do you use any particular type or brand of brown rice? I only cooked it one time and I do not know if I did anything wrong but it came out very sticky !! Any help would be most appreciated.

Hugs,
    Granni
  16. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I am not so sure on the number of servings, but I make my lentils in my big Farberware pot (not saucepan), and it is completely full by the time they cook. I usually cook for three people, and get two meals out of this, and then some. BTW, the cooked lentils freeze really, really well. Just do not freeze them with any pasta, rice, or potatoes added to them--it will be all mealy when it defrosts, so keep all your starchy stuff seperate. Add a little broth to the defrosted lentils when you are reheating. Do not freeze the stoop because of the gnocchi.

I use good old Carolina brand brown rice from the supermarket. Brown rice is tricky to cook on the stove; that's why I love this baked version. Perfect and delicious every time!!

Now I'm off to make my chicken meatballs for dinner!!

Enjoy--

Laura

17. kitty39

kitty39 New Member

Microwave Lasagna; have made it for years and now adapted with ground turkey.Brown one lb ground turkey (or beef), add large jar spaghetti sauce.Mix one egg with large container cottage cheese and black pepper to taste. Layer meat mixture, DRY lasagna noodles (no need to cook), egg & cottage cheese, grated mozzarella cheese - more layers til all used. Cover and Microwave 8 min on high, then 30 min on medium. Top with fresh grated parmesan cheese. This dish always goes over well and most folks can't tell it's made with turkey!
  18. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Nicoise Pasta Salad......1 lb penne or other small pasta.....1/2 lb green beans trimmed.....6 tbsp olive oil......1 tbsp red wine vinegar......1/4 tsp salt.....2 6oz cans tuna in water drained.....2 cups cherry tomatoes halved.....1/2 cup black olives pitted and chopped......1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley....1 tbsp capers drained. Bring large pot of salted water to boil, add pasta and cook until almost tender about 8 mins. Add green beans to pot and continue to cook until both are tender, about 2 mins longer. Drain, reserving 1/4 c cooking water. Run pasta and beans under cold water and drain again. In large bowl whisk oil, vinegar and salt. Stir in tuna, tomatoes, olives, parsley and capers. Add pasta and green beans to bowl. Stir, adding reserved cooking water to moisten if necessary and serve. You can use leftover chicken if you want. You can amp up the health aspect by using whole wheat pasta. For a more traditional Nicoise, add a quarter boiled egg to each portion before serving.