Need a replacement for Paxil, HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mar19, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I just found out that my insurance carrier will no longer cover my Paxil for me. If I want to continue taking this I'll have to pay the full price out of my own pocket. About $850 for a 90 day supply. I need to take the brand name, can't subsitute the generic. I did when paxil first went generic and I started getting seizures. Not good at all. So, what I need to know is the name of an SSRI that is brand only, no generic, that is as similar as possible to paxil. My doctor's office was closed by the time I got off the phone with the idiots from the insurance company. When I called them last week they told me that they would correct "their" original error and send out a new script to me immediately. Today they're telling me that they will no longer cover the med. I have three days worth of paxil left.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

2. ulala

ulala New Member

I think people cross the line on these sites by giving medical advice when they're not a doctor and don't even know the patient. I think most doctors wouldn't even tell a patient that they had never seen to quit Paxil cold turkey, especailly if they had already had seizures from taking the generic.. If you do a google search on "paxil withdrawal" you see 444,000 hits.

Giving medical advice like this could cause someone to have seizures or even worse. Please be careful. And please don't take medical advice from someoner who is not a doctor.

3. ulala

ulala New Member

are very sensitive to small amounts of medicine and get more side effects and more withdrawal symptoms than the average person. I've had doctors tell me that drugs that I know are addictive, aren't addictive. If we were aware that the drug could be addictive and could cause withdrawal symptoms then we could prepare for that possibility and deal with it better.

I know people on this site have said that klonopin isn't addictive. They've said you can develop a dependance to it. Addicted to, or dependant on, the withdrawal can be horrendous. I ended up in the emergency room when I tried to slowly cut my klonopin. Thankfully I've been off of it for 8 years.
  4. sscape

sscape New Member

OK. Here is a plan of action. This worked for me for another drug.

1- Get Pharmacist to give you a few more pills and advise you how to withdraw.

2- Get your MD to call your Insurance- send them a letter- email, stating that you cannot take the generic and why. Try to remember dates and reactions, ect.

3- Call contact Glaxo-Smith-Kline. This is a link to their patient 'patient assistance programs .'
    Im sure they can help you. They really don't want bad press from the public on this particular drug.

Paxil was a wonderful drug for me. Im considering getting back on it. Withdrawal was total hell.

Do not give up. If you cannot go to you pharmacist yourself, call, have a friend pick it up. They can help you in the short term.

Do contact you MD. Do contact your insurance.

Do call GSK. They have made a fortune on this stuff. They can help you. Drug companies like goodwill. They see so little of it.
  5. sscape

sscape New Member

Don't give up.

These are more helpful ways to get discounts, ect.

Call Wal-Mart and see if they will give you a discount. Why not?

6. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

If you wean yourself off paxil- you may want to try St. Johnswort Tincture 4X/day--quality company/organic.

It too helps with quality of sleep, mood, anxiety and has the benefit of being an antibacterial/antiviral which so many with CFS/FMS need.

You are not supposed to combine paxil with antidepressant drugs like paxil...

Like pharmecuticals it will take awhile to build up in your system. Give it at least 6 weeks before deciding if its working or not.

7. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Sorry- brain is not working these days. You are not supposed to combine St. Johswort with seratonin uptake/antidpressant drugs like paxil.