Need A Root Canal

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jinlee, Jul 28, 2016.

1. jinlee

jinlee Member

Just found out today I need a root canal. I have high dental anxiety and don't know if I can go ahead with this. If you have had a root canal I would like to hear what it was like. I am hoping it just sounds worse than it is.

Who knows, maybe my fibro/cfs will get better with the bad tooth taken care of.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Jinee

Haven't heard from you for years. Nice to see you on the Board again.
    Sorry to hear about the dental problems.

I had several root canal procedures over the years. You can read about
    them on the net. Very likely you already have. I think it's fair to say
    the procedure takes longer than a regular filling. It's unpleasant, but
    not really terrible.

The dentist drills away the infected part of the tooth. Then uses little
    files (like thick needles) to clean out the canals that connect the pulp
    chamber in the tooth to the blood vessels in the gums.

A mold is made of the mouth. It is sent to the lab. A crown (usually
    of gold) is created. On your return visit the crown is cemented into
    place. The restored tooth will last for years as long as the patient
    doesn't do something foolish like open a beer bottle with his teeth.

There's a dentist in Tuluca Lake, a suburb of LA, that advertises a
    new procedure. He uses a new material instead of gold, and says
    you can get the cap installed immediately without waiting a
    week for the lab work. And maybe there have been other changes.
    I think it's been 10-20 years since I had a root canal.

Tuluca Lake BTW was Bob Hope's home for many years. His mansion
    was there. Even though I was often in Tuluca Lake and even visited a dentist
    there, I never did see Bob's mansion. There are pics on the net if you're
    curious. (And one below.)

Good luck

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I've had three root canals done since coming down with CFS. They are time consuming, however, they don't hurt at all. The only thing that will hurt is your wallet unless you are lucky enough to have dental insurance.

It didn't make any difference though to my CFS, unfortunately.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  4. bct

bct Active Member

Hi Jin. I've had numerous root canals with no problem, no pain. It just takes time and patience. I always insist on a neck support or cushion because I can get tension neck-aches if I don't. My mum had dental-phobia and always insisted they give her anaesthesia to put her under. Maybe you could get your pcp to give you a small rx of Xanax if needed....

Good Luck,
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Jin,

Barry gave good advice. Perhaps your medical doc can help with something for your anxiety. It's better for you and the dentist if you can be more relaxed. There should be no pain; don't hesitate to let the dentist know right away if you have any pain during the procedure. Big molars can take a bit longer if they have big roots to be cleaned out. Having to sit with your mouth open may be the biggest challenge.

If there is a crown already on the tooth, the dentist will drill down through it and fill it when the root canal is done. If not, he will have a crown made for the tooth. Every one of my teeth from the incisors back, both up and down, is crowned and I've had a few root canals.

Best of luck to you. Keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  6. jinlee

jinlee Member

Thanks Rock, Barry, Tiger and Mikie for the words of encouragement about the tooth. My PCP is of the opinion that everyone should just feel the fear and do it anyway without any help from drugs. She doesn't quite understand anxiety. Oh well.

I will conquer this. We all get thrown into things we think will be totally overwhelming and somehow we find the strength to do them.

Hope you all have a good day.

rockgor likes this.